Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corn on the cob

Registered
    Jul 2002

Corn on the cob

I had some primo corn on the cob over the weekend. You can say a lot of disparaging remarks about Ohio but they do grow a lot of great corn here. I remember great Blue Crabs in Delaware and Maryland. Any local goodies grow in your area?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We grow the best blueberries and tart cherries in the world 'round here due to a combination of ideal soils and the climate provided by Lake Michigan.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    Any local goodies grow in your area?
    Dodge
    Chevy
    Caddy
    Soybeans (on of nation's largest producers)
    Corn (we have lots, but we're no plaines state.
    Tomatoes (Canada's largest producer)
    Sugar Beets (nation's largest producer)
    Celery (one of nation's largest producers, well just west of here anyways.... )

Bey ya didn't know the Detroit area was so agriclutural now did ya?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Corn (we have lots, but we're no plaines state.
    I hesitate to say it because it sounds so cliched but the best corn I ever had in my life really was from Iowa. We have a family member who grew up in Iowa and every time there's a family gathering we put her in charge of selecting and cooking the corn on the cob. Who knows corn better than someone from Iowa?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I just read in the news the other day that an iowa farmer has started selling sweet corn on ebay, and he's making a bundle. People from all over the world are eager to buy Iowa sweet corn. I guess I've always taken it for granted.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mmmm.. corn season. The best corn I've ever had is from Southern Alberta (Taber Corn). Kicks arse.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The Mrs.'s uncle is a farmer in Swanton, Ohio (Sadowski's of you've heard of it, Bear). He has the absolute best sweet corn on earth! We froze a bunch of it while we were up there to bring back to Texas with us... the corn grown down here isn't fit to feed a pig!

The in-laws got back from Swanton last night and brought us some fresh sweet corn that we had at dinner... three cobs later I was feeling quite satisfied!

EDIT: I've been told the trick to harvesting crisp, juicy sweet corn with plump kernels is to water the hell out of it 2-3 days prior to harvesting. Freshness is definitely key to best taste.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 14 Aug 2006 at 12:12 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2002

cotc

Quote Originally posted by cch
    I just read in the news the other day that an iowa farmer has started selling sweet corn on ebay, and he's making a bundle. People from all over the world are eager to buy Iowa sweet corn. I guess I've always taken it for granted.
    I'm convinced that the critical thing about corn on the cob is freshness. I've known people who insist on picking their corn right off the wagon and meanwhile have the water boiling at home. Young ears also important. My favorite type is white and yellow, called different things in different places.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    I had some primo corn on the cob over the weekend. You can say a lot of disparaging remarks about Ohio but they do grow a lot of great corn here. I remember great Blue Crabs in Delaware and Maryland. Any local goodies grow in your area?
    We tried a different spin on the usual grilled corn last night:

1) shuck corn as usual (I don't know why some leave husk on to grill)
    2) brush with fresh lime juice
    3) grill until some kernels are slightly charred
    4) brush with melted butter and fresh lime juice
    5) roll in grated parmesan cheese and ground cayenne pepper

Mmmm.

As for local specialities, we have oysters, shrimp, peaches, watermelon, collards, and corn (not too great). Nothing beats New England sweet corn.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I tried the lime juice thing last year but just lime juice, no butter no salt. Pretty darn good.

Come on...Ohio? Everyone knows the best corn is grown in Iowa. Geeze what's with you people

I'm trying something new this year, from the field, pick it wrap the ears in foil and straight to the freezer. Freezing screws up the texture, but it tastes just fine even months later.

The grilling thing is supposed to be good, but I have never had it turn out quite the way I want it to.

A couple of years ago I had some roasted by a gas powered machine the ears, husks and all were dipped in water and put on a belt and fed into an oven, two minutes later the best corn eever.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2005
    Growing up across from southern New Jersey, it was a summer tradition to trek across the Commodore Barry bridge and buy fresh corn (sweet yellow) and huge honkin' tomatoes from the roadside farm stands. We usually ate the tomatoes simply sliced with salt and pepper, perhaps with a leaf of fresh basil on top. To me, this corn is still the best I have ever had.

Here in New Mexico, of course, we also have great corn (one of the oldest site sof domesticated corn is about 3 hours from Albuquerque). But the really defining crop is chile - green and red (which is really the same plant - green is fresh, red is dried on the plant). The popular thing is to roast the green chile and remove the skin so you can use it in stews and on, well, pretty much anything you can imagine.

The stuff usually comes up from the south (the town of Hatch being most famous for it) and roadside stands emerge in the early fall with big burlap sacks and these roasting tumblers that look like they might be doing a lottery drawing. They pour a big sack in there and tumble it while the gas burners roast the chile. The smell is something to behold. Just driving by and having it drift into your window is enough to elicit a sigh of delight from our whole family (and our son won't even eat the stuff). People will typically buy at least one sack, taking it home, packing it into plastic ziplocs and freezing it for use through the winter.

Delightful.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    The local farmers markets this time of year are full of the local super-sweet corn, truck loads of melons from Rocky Ford, Colorado and peaches from around Palisade on the western slope. Grape, apple and pear harvest isn't for a few more weeks. I know some folks both on the western slope and in Boulder who have commercial wine operations so Colorado fruit can be enjoyed all year long. Fresh roasted chiles will be going strong until the end of September.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    My 7 yr old laughs at this all time. I always here that now when i watch star wars.

Also, I declare that Illinois produces the most flavorful sweet corn Let the battle ensue!

I have grilled corn on the cob by shucking it, wraping it in foil with butter and ground balck pepper. Grill for 20 minutes or so.. Muy Bueno!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The best corn I've ever had is served just like this.....

"A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2002
    Next weekend is my community's annual Melonfest, which isn't as much fun as you'd think.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    Next weekend is my community's annual Melonfest, which isn't as much fun as you'd think.

Really? You mean she isn't gong to be the melonfest queen?

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I dunno if I saw her, I'd think of Howl.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by wahday
    Growing up across from southern New Jersey, it was a summer tradition to trek across the Commodore Barry bridge and buy fresh corn (sweet yellow) and huge honkin' tomatoes from the roadside farm stands. We usually ate the tomatoes simply sliced with salt and pepper, perhaps with a leaf of fresh basil on top. To me, this corn is still the best I have ever had.

Delightful.
    Yes, in deed Southern Jersey Sweet Corn is the best !
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Most of the corn growers in our area sold out to the state a few years ago for a huge lake restoration project. A nearby community has continued to have their Sweet Corn Festival every year, but now they have to bring in the corn from elsewhere.

I lived in a little west FL town for 15 years and one little grower had great sweet corn. Only available for about 2 weeks in May. They had no posted hours so I'd just drive by on my lunch hour and hope he hadn't sold out the day's allotment already.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    The best corn I've ever had is served just like this.....

I second this!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    The grilling thing is supposed to be good, but I have never had it turn out quite the way I want it to.

A couple of years ago I had some roasted by a gas powered machine the ears, husks and all were dipped in water and put on a belt and fed into an oven, two minutes later the best corn eever.
    Soaking your corn with the husks on is a pretty much fool-proof way to cook your corn. I just soak'em for 10-15 minutes and toss them on the grill. I've left them on for 5 minutes or 15-20 minutes (until the husks were charred and crispy) and everytime you open them up and "Voila!" perfectly cooked corn. You can even cook them directly in some hot coals from a campfire this way. I supose the wet husks protect the corn from drying out or burning, while the steam cooks'em just right.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Also, I declare that Illinois produces the most flavorful sweet corn Let the battle ensue!
    You got that right. Cornfest in DeKalb, IL is fast approaching!

You know Illinois is the supreme leader in Corn production when its cities name their festivals after it.

I also just had some corn on the cob last night from the local farm. Mmm, good.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    The Mrs.'s uncle is a farmer in Swanton, Ohio (Sadowski's of you've heard of it, Bear). He has the absolute best sweet corn on earth!
    Indeed, this Bear buys all of his corn on the cob from Sadowski's. Just bought some the other day and it is.....yummy yummy yummy I gots the corn in my tummy......long gone.

As Katie and I cruised past their market (about 20 minutes ago) we said, in unison, "We have to stop and get more this week."

Best in the world.

Bear Bogey
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    I second this!
    Shrimp boil! H-E-double hockey sticks YEAH!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Mar 2012, 5:14 PM
  2. Hello from the corn Belt
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 May 2011, 2:45 PM
  3. Corn and "supertasters"
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28