Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Myths of Economics

Registered
    Dec 2001

Myths of Economics

http://www.mises.org/story/1568

Well, we have quite a number of opininated folks here when it comes to economics. I though this article would spark additional discussion.

Yes, I realize this doubles as a political piece. Please respond to the economics aspects and ignore the political parts.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    Ok, just reading number one they're already off the mark. Nobody doubts that economic resources get directed against the "broken window" and theoretically can't be used somewhere else, making everyone materially "poorer" in a way. But in our industrial, resource-rich economy, the problem in economic crises is usually too many resources, and not economic activity to support all of the suppliers. The broken window increases economic activity and that's good if the problem is that there isn't enough movement in the economy.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    May 1997
    The heart of the matter is in Myth 8. Nobody really wants free enterprise - except for their competitors, of course - BUT the rhetoric of free enterprise is the perfect shield for all sorts of chicanery and stupidity.

Quote Originally posted by jordanb View post
    Ok, just reading number one they're already off the mark. Nobody doubts that economic resources get directed against the "broken window" and theoretically can't be used somewhere else, making everyone materially "poorer" in a way. But in our industrial, resource-rich economy, the problem in economic crises is usually too many resources, and not economic activity to support all of the suppliers. The broken window increases economic activity and that's good if the problem is that there isn't enough movement in the economy.
    The so called problem of too many resources follows from the (quite widespread) fallacy of a lump of capital, where it is believed that all capital goods are the same and
    can be applied to any task. The problem in an economic crisis is that too many higher-order capital goods have been produced at expense of lower-order capital goods and consumer goods. Stimulating demand for more higher-order capital goods will have absolutely no positive effect, because to restore balance to the economy there must be more production of consumer and lower-order capital goods.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Some of what he says is very interesting, however I do not completely agree with anything he said.

With #8 there is a theory *from Adam Smith that said that without regulation, competing business will come together in cooperation to increase fees and profits for both creating a monopoly.

A point that I don’t think that he even touched on is the “to help the poor, tax or charge the business” as if the business will just absorb the cost instead of rolling back into what they charge for their product in effort to offset the difference.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    With #8 there is a theory *from Adam Smith that said that without regulation, competing business will come together in cooperation to increase fees and profits for both creating a monopoly.
    These are continental hardliners, they don't give much respect to Adam Smith.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 56
    Last post: 20 Nov 2013, 1:52 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 08 Dec 2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Nov 2011, 11:38 AM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Mar 2011, 1:46 PM
  5. Regional Myths
    Friday Afternoon Club