Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Counter offers

Registered
    Dec 2002

Counter offers

What is the most effective way to counter an offer made by a prospective employer? For example, if a place calls you and informs you that you that they would like to offer you the position at salary "x", how can you shoot for salary "y" in a professional manner? I've always worried that if I worded it the wrong way it would somehow make me look bad or make them rethink their offer in the first place...I know - I'm paranoid!

Registered
    May 2005
    It depends on what your BATNA, or "Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement" is. If you aren't prepared to not be offered the job, then you shouldn't ask for more money.

If you were to present a counteroffer, I would frame it in light of your personal situation. "Based on my experience, position in life (kids, need insurance, etc.) I feel that I need a salary of X to justify me taking the position."

But as I said before, If you're afraid of not getting the job, then you're not in a position to counter their offer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    If you were to present a counteroffer, I would frame it in light of your personal situation. "Based on my experience, position in life (kids, need insurance, etc.) I feel that I need a salary of X to justify me taking the position."
    I've used a similar statement to this a number of times and each time been granted with a better salary offer.

I even used with my internships. "x is offering me Y with a drive of z miles." your Z+20 miles... what can you do with Y?

Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    In addition to the salary or if they won't go higher, you might also try to get additional compensation that does not directly impact the organization's budget. Does things like additional vacation/leave days every year, flex time for your kids' events, full or quicker vesting in their retirement program than is typical of new hires, and/or a yearly conference/training budget have a value to you? These items can can show that you are concerned about their costs and your professional development. Be sure to get for their final offer in writing once you reach an agreement. Good Luck!

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I might tweak that line a little bit, as it indicates that taking the position at the lower salary would be unjustifiable, making you look a little silly if you end up taking it anyway. I would make it more along the lines of: "I'm really interested in the position and greatly appreciate the offer. However, based on my experience/situation, the salary makes it a difficult decision. Is there any chance you could increase that a bit?"

Also, have a look at APA's salary survey and see whether the calculation for your state/experience/position would serve your case. If so, it would help to refer to that specifically. If not, at least you know the offer isn't unreasonable.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Are you employed now? I usually just tell them that it's not worth it for me to leave the other job at that price (which is usually true).

Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Are you employed now? I usually just tell them that it's not worth it for me to leave the other job at that price (which is usually true).
    Also a fair point. It's worth noting if you have a pay increase coming up, especially.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work the counter much?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 1:50 PM
  2. Is that User Counter Right?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Jul 2003, 8:10 PM
  3. My proposal for a counter suit-
    Friday Afternoon Club