Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Relocating to PA

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Relocating to PA

A close friend is looking to relocate to Altoona, Hollidaysburg and/or Duncanville, PA area. She is looking to rent for around one year and then purchase. She is not familiar with the area at all so any help would be great.
    Anyone here familiar with any of these cities and could you recommend neighborhoods, etc. Her husband is relocating for work, she is a stay at home mom and currently lives in suburb area of St. Charles. Any info about the area or neighborhoods would be helpful. Thanks.

That's a very geographically and culturally isolated part of the state which suffers from the "brain drain" big time. There is some beautiful countryside around it. Hollidaysburg has a nice downtown. Downtown Altoona has declined big time.

Housing prices in the area are extremely cheap. I'd try to live in-town in Hollidaysburg. There are some very nice Victorian homes there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Passdoubt is right; it's pretty isolated. Pittsburgh is probably the closest larger city. Altoona is a linear city nestled in a valley. The city is kind of narrow, based on my friend's (an Altoona native) description.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Is this the region where Deer Hunter was filmed?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I dont think there really are "nieghborhoods" in those towns...hardly cities by any means.

The rent is probably more expensive than a mortgage there as well.

That area is "Pennsyltucky" at its finest....if you get where that name comes from.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    hhhmmm, thanks for the input. It seems she has found a few townhouses in one of the cities other than Altoona. I don't think she has any idea how isolated the area is. I have told her time and again to fly out there and see this place before renting based on pics and descriptions (I did that ONE time and regretted it big time!!)
    I will let her know some of the reaction I got here. Thanks again!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Is this the region where Deer Hunter was filmed?
    The film THE DEER HUNTER did "pretend" that the events were taking place in Claridon, PA.

Steel mill scenes were shot at Republic Steel's huge Cleveland Works. The Russian Orthodox Church and the Eagle Market were real places, in a small Russian neighborhood near downtown Cleveland. I checked these places out about 20 years ago. I think the market is history. The hall where the wedding took place is in the same neighborhood. We cruised past that, too.

The bar scenes take place in Mingo Junction, OH.....located on the Ohio River in the southeastern part of Ohio. The Viet Nam scenes were filmed in Thailand (I think).

Critics took issue with the hunting scenes. The mountains were way too "pointy" for northern and central Pennsylvania. Actual filming took place in the Cascade Range in Oregon.

Movie is in my Top 5 of all time.
    _____

Jaxspra.....Your friend will have to become a card-carrying member of Steelers Nation. State law (in the western end of the keystone).

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    hhhmmm, thanks for the input. It seems she has found a few townhouses in one of the cities other than Altoona. I don't think she has any idea how isolated the area is. I have told her time and again to fly out there and see this place before renting based on pics and descriptions (I did that ONE time and regretted it big time!!)
    I will let her know some of the reaction I got here. Thanks again!!
    The closest signs of life she will find will probably be in State College.

I used to live in Coudersport, which is in this general part of Pennsylvania; it really is isolated. I used to go to a place called Cherry Springs and look at the stars because it is the darkest place, in terms of light pollution from streetlights, etc. east of the Mississippi -- or so the locals told me. I certainly enjoyed some very beautiful views of the stars.

When I wanted to go to a dentist, all the nearby ones had one-year waiting lists. I had to go to Rochester (2+ hour drive) or State College (the same).

One of Altoona's most famous exports is the chain of gasoline and quick-service food retailers known as Sheetz.Another is Rep. Bud Shuster, who is responsible for the funding to build I-99 by Altoona, and had considerable influence on transportation spending in America. (Please don't let the two digit nature of the Interstate designation fool her. Shuster wrote '99' into the law! Anywhere else, it would have been left alone to be a winding, two-lane country road.)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It is isolated. You probably already know that. It has its charms. They won't be obvious. They are small communities. You probably already know that also. Most people here are determined that everyone wants to live in "the center of itall". You can live in a huge home for little money. Short commutes to all major urban areas in the northeast and Midwest. It will be quiet and comfortable and everybody will ask you why you moved there and you will be an instant addition to their tight communities. Can you handle that? ;0

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 22 Oct 2009, 10:32 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Apr 2009, 7:28 PM
  3. Relocating for management opportunity
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Oct 2007, 4:32 PM
  4. Dating, Relocating, & Grad School
    Friday Afternoon Club