Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: That College Football Thread - 2006 edition

Registered
    Dec 2003

That College Football Thread - 2006 edition

Thursday starts yet another year of college football. Drunk co-eds mixing with drunk alumni and weird traditions that only the fans of that college could understand or appreciate. Whether it's tailgating in The Grove at Ole Miss, Clemson's players rubbing Howard's rock, the Ohio State band dotting the i, or Auburn's golden eagle mascot circling the field before landing on the fifty yard line, college sports have a unique effect on us.

My alma mater, Auburn, starts the season on Saturday with the Washington State Cougars. Even though on paper WSU is the underdog, Auburn has a history of starting the season slow and not playing well when ranked high early in the season. Hopefully the team will run the table and end up in the national championship game but I'd also be happy to see them come to Atlanta for the SEC Championship game at the Georgia Dome. I live within visual distance of the dome and would love to have a "skygate" party for my old college friends who are in town for the game.

So, how about it? How do you think your team is going to fare this year? What games are you looking forward to? And what will be this year's big controversy in the BCS?
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post
    My alma mater, Auburn
    Boo to your Tele-Tubbyville Tigres, I can't wait until Ole Miss whoops 'em over in Oxford... And then UT works 'em in Alt (yeah right ).

I have three teams now that I am working on my third degree. 1) Ole Miss for undergrad: is the best tailgate I have seen, you are right, the Grove rocks and I cant wait to go there for the UGA game this year ("we might not win every game, but we have never lost a party"). 2) UT (GO VOLS!!!) for masters: has the best inside of the stadium I have ever seen and the VOLS have won my heart as a fan becuase of the intensity and the comradery among the fans. I belong to an Alumni club here in Florida and watch most games with them. However, I dont expect much this year, I just hope it is better than last. And will be in Knoxville for the LSU game!!! 3) FSU for PhD: has a high quality program that can not be denied, I think they have Championship possibilties this year... but let's face it, they are not in the SEC and there is no rivalry outside of Miami (which is BIG, I will admit) and therefore the season can get... well... boring. (sorry ACC fans)

And for Thursday... Go Gamecocks, beat them Bulldogs silly (just cause).
    Last edited by H; 29 Aug 2006 at 6:51 PM.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    Boo to your Tele-tubbyville tigres, I can't wait until Ole Miss whoops 'em over in Oxford... (yeah right).
    That could be quite a wait!

A third SEC guy here... I think the Hogs will be improved, and I am really truly seriously hoping to smack the crap out of USC. I hate that team.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Go UTES!!! The big red machine invades the Rose Bowl Saturday to face a depleted UCLA squad. UCLA is favored by 4 points UT should finish 1-2 in the conference, and have a real shot at cracking the BCS again this year. Big games Boise St (can't wait to take crap for putting Boise St down as a big game, but they should win the WAC this year)
    TCU (MWC reigning champ)
    BYU (the rival)

(All three at home)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Better chime in before BEAR gets here....

So, how about it?
    Sure, I'll tell ya!
    How do you think your team is going to fare this year?
    Notre Dame is ranked pretty high, but I think that they will continue to show that they deserve their number TWO ranking...
    As for my almamater, we'll see if Northern Colorado can adjust to the Big Sky conference in Division I-AA. I will have to go to a couple games though as they are close and cheap.
    What games are you looking forward to?
    Notre Dame versus: Michigan, Mich. State, USC, Air Force (going to that one... ) and this weekend's tilt against Georgia Tech.
    Local: Colorado vs. Colorado State is always fun, especially when the game is in Denver (like this year!)
    Also, Nothern Colorado vs. Texas State will be the matchup to watch as the smack flies between Burb Fixer and yours truly
    And what will be this year's big controversy in the BCS?
    No controversy, Notre Dame will be in it till the end. <cough>National Title<cough>

Can't wait, Friends!!
    Let's KICK OFF NOW!!!!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    A third SEC guy here... I think the Hogs will be improved, and I am really truly seriously hoping to smack the crap out of USC. I hate that team.
    I will be rooting for the SEC when your team plays them,... for sure.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Sep 2001
    A question on etiquette. I am doing my masters at the school that was the arch rival of my undergrad school. Who do I cheer for?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    California Golden Bears. You just watch.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Go Blue !!!

The Michigan Wolverines have a lot to set straight this year. Last year, lost to Z-Man's Notre Touchdown Jesus Dame, lost to Ohio State (again ), lost to Minnesota (on the last play of the game), lost to Wisconsin, lost to Nebraska (grrrrr North Omaha Star Dude). A "lost" season.....

Rebound from adversity will be the name of the game. Run the table. National Championship victory over Texas.

Open up Saturday against Vanderbilt. Go Blue !!!
    _____

My school, Bowling Green, lost its' record-setting QB, Omar Jacobs, to the draft. Hard to tell how good the Falcons will be. The University of Toledo lost their top QB, Bruce Gradkowski, to the draft. The Rockets return a shload of lettermen, though. Going to be interesting in the Mid-American Conference, the "cradle" of NFL QB's.

Bear Next To The Big House
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    A question on etiquette. I am doing my masters at the school that was the arch rival of my undergrad school. Who do I cheer for?
    I think you have to cheer for your undergrad school. Just keep it quiet around your fellow students and don't invite them over to watch the game.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My schools -
    Utah State Aggie (undergrad), not much expected.

Go CU BUFFS. (grad) Big 12 Northern Division always tuff. Watch what Mason Crosby does as a Kicker.

Of Local Interest -
    Louisville Cardinals. Big East.
    Can not say the name of "that school" at the northern end of Indiana.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I think you have to cheer for your undergrad school.
    What happens if you went to a women's college???

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I'm looking forward to any game my IOWA HAWKEYES are playing, but here are the biggies.

September 16: vs Iowa State
    September 30: vs Ohio State
    October 21: vs Michigan

Ohio State and Michigan should be tough, but I think the Hawks can pull it off. I would love to get up to Iowa City to see a game, but I screwed up on getting tickets.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    The team you like the best. But dont trash talk. I hate when UT plays OM. I love both schools. OM was my undergrad, but I didnt grow up a life long Rebel fan or anything so it is not like "in my blood" (an embarassing side note is that both my parents went to Florida so I was a forced Gator as a kid... boy am I glad I got my independence ). What honestly happens is I tend to cheer for whoever is losing and the moment (which means OM ). And when it is over I am happy and sad. but, either outcome... I go to the party!

Gosh I love college football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by H; 29 Aug 2006 at 10:25 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    What happens if you went to a women's college???
    You mean like FSU?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    California Golden Bears. You just watch.
    hey, we need a little friendly wager on that first game CAL v UT.

You mean like FSU?
    I gotta laugh at that (though I have nothin but love for the 'noles also ).
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 30 Aug 2006 at 12:49 PM.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    hey, we need a little friendly wager on that first game CAL v UT.
    Lunch in Apalachicola? I'll take Cal to win outright.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Lunch in Apalachicola? I'll take Cal to win outright.
    The wager is on.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The perfect college football weekend for me: Florida State and Georgia both win, Auburn, Florida, Georgia Tech, Miami (FL, not Ohio), Notre Dame, and Tennessee all lose. Never happens, though.

FSU for PhD: has a high quality program that can not be denied, I think they have Championship possibilties this year... but let's face it, they are not in the SEC and there is no rivalry outside of Miami (which is BIG, I will admit) and therefore the season can get... well... boring. (sorry ACC fans)
    Um...there is also the FSU - Florida game every year at the end of the season...it's kind of a big deal.
    Last edited by Bubba; 30 Aug 2006 at 7:28 AM.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    The Michigan Wolverines have a lot to set straight this year. Last year, lost to Z-Man's Notre Touchdown Jesus Dame, lost to Ohio State (again ), lost to Minnesota (on the last play of the game), lost to Wisconsin, lost to Nebraska (grrrrr North Omaha Star Dude). A "lost" season.....

Rebound from adversity will be the name of the game. Run the table. National Championship victory over Texas.

Open up Saturday against Vanderbilt. Go Blue !!!
    _____

Bear Next To The Big House
    I second Bear, Michigan has more offensive firepower than the preseason #1. OSU lost all it's linebackers and it's secondary is a bunch of streaky gamblers at best. OSU only returns 11 starters from last year, including a streaky QB who - somehow- is being named among heisman candidates. Swami says look for the "suckeyes" to lose 2-3 games - don't be surprised. - GO BLUE!!!!
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Undergrad was East Stroudsburg, a DII Pennsylvania Athletic conference powerhouse. Made it to the DII semi-finals last year. Expect to be pretty good this year.

Grad was Ball State. Definitely a basketball school.

Locally I like the Hoosiers (another basketball school) and University of Louisville. UofL has two Heisman candidates this year (Brian Brohm QB and Michael Bush RB). One ought to be invited to NY at the end of the year (though realistically, neither has a chance to win the trophy). Big games are Miami and West Virginia, both here. If they don't screw up (something that has had a tendency to occur around here when expectations are high), they could be 12-0 and BCS bound.

College football has so much more ambience than the NFL.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Go CU BUFFS. (grad) Big 12 Northern Division always tuff.
    My beloved K-State will be in Boulder this year. Even during our great years, Boulder was a tuff place to play. This is a "rebuilding year" for us with the beginning of the Prince era. The bro and I have tickets to the U of Texas game in Manhattan on November 11th. I plan on eating B-B-Q Bevo that evening.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2006
    GO Sun Devils. With Rudy at the helm and a quarterback controversy finaly settled the Devils are posed to do big things in the PAC 10. Although the scheduling gods are trying to smite us and prevent ASU deciannual trip to the Rose Bowl with road games at USC, CAL and Colorado

As for the BCS it is due for one team to get shafted. It very well could be the Golden Bears being on the outside looking in. Ohio St., Auburn, Miami could all be undefeated as could Texas, USC and Cal. Until we get a playoff that can keep the bowl system in place it will be a controversy on who the best team is every few years.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm with jenniplans - GO HAWKEYES! Watch us rebound from a disappointing 7-5 to go 11-1 (with the only loss on the road, alas, to Michigan, who plays well at home but will not - sorry Bear - run the table). Yes, we will beat Ohio State in newly renovated Kinnick Stadium because their defense will stink and Ted Ginn Jr. doth not a football team make.

Locally, watch out for the defending national champions Grand Valley State University Lakers to make another run at the Division II Championship. GO LAKERS!
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk View post
    Locally, watch out for the defending national champions Grand Valley State University Lakers to make another run at the Division II Championship. GO LAKERS!
    I agree, but I want them to loose at on the road on Veterans Day!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2009 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 244
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 9:17 AM