Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Land Use Densities

     
    Registered
    Aug 2006

Land Use Densities

What are the industrial, commercial, retail and residential development densities in rual areas of Texas?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    That's quite a question. You are going to have to drill this down a little more for us.

g

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sounds like another "someone do my homework" thread. :/

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never seen industrial, commercial, and retail uses measured by density.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    rj

i assume the poster means FAR for non residential. It is a measure of density.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for your reply.

My friend you are absolutely right thats what I am looking for the FAR for rural areas in Texas for industrial, commercial and retail developments.

Any suugestions or links would be helpful.

Well how you wanna take it as a homework or challenge ....
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 29 Aug 2006 at 11:35 AM.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by vgarg View post
    Thanks for your reply.

My friend you are absolutely right thats what I am looking for the FAR for rural areas in Texas for industrial, commercial and retail developments.

Any help would be appreciated.

At the risk of sounding mean and glib, then you need to contact some of rural municipalities in Texas and see if they have that information.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    are you looking for permissible numbers (ie. office at .4 FAR) or what's been built? Two different questions.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Other things making the question difficult to answer:

* Incorporated communities will each have their own standars. Some use FAR with property line setbacks, while others might use property line setbacks. Other factors, such as required parking, setbacks from riparian corridors, the presence of wetlands, and landscaping standards will affect the intensively of site development. Don't dismiss market forces; if land is inexpensive, there's no incentive to use it efficiently.

* Even if you do know that the zoning requires, not every building lot will be developed at the maximum permitted lot coverage.

* Counties in Texas do not have the power to zone land. Most of rural Texas is unzoned.

* Define "rural."

* Define "industry." Are oil pumps "industry?" If they are, the counties around Midland/Odessa would be the most heavily industrialized rural area in Texas. If feed lots are "industry," then the industrial density of rural sections of the Panhandle will dwarf even the Buffalo Bayou.

* What is considered "dense" development in Van Horn will seem extremely sparse by Texarkana standards. In west Texas, outside of urban areas and some county seats, there's nothing. Really - nothing. Drive from Dell City to El Paso, and you'll pass by exactly one diner. Between EP and Van Horn, there's nothing except the occasional gas station and ranch.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u View post
    rj

i assume the poster means FAR for non residential. It is a measure of density.
    I disagree. I view FAR and impervious coverage as a measure of intensity. Density is expressed in the number of dwelling units per acre, in my experience.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Population Densities

Quote Originally posted by vgarg View post
    What are the industrial, commercial, retail and residential development densities in rual areas of Texas?
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Sounds like another "someone do my homework" thread. :/
    For homework, I suggest that you find the densities of urban areas and other non-rural land and then subtract that from the total land area of Texas. The remainder would be the answer to your question. Urban areas are about 30 per acre.

For the entire Nation the density of population is about 8 or 9 persons per acre:
    2.5 billion acres/300 million = 8.3

It is possible to place the entire 6 billion population of the earth in Texas without crowding.
    Last edited by bud; 30 Aug 2006 at 1:15 PM. Reason: Supplemental

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Small town densities
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 02 Mar 2010, 1:25 PM
  2. Mixed-use densities
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Oct 2008, 12:32 PM
  3. Replies: 1