Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Drainage Facilities Maintenance

Drainage Facilities Maintenance

We in Taylor TX have one homeowners association that is active and working for their facilities (mow lawn, pool, drainage). What other ways have cities used to maintain drainage facilities (detention/retention ponds, etc.)? Seems like no one wants to bother with drainage facilities or problems on residential areas.......... John

Have inspectors, lots and lots of inspectors . Just kidding, but you should have city/village ordinances to fight nuisances like weeds, junk cars, dilapidated fences, leaning garages, broken windows, etc. We have a Nuisance Division (with 2/3 inspectors) under our Community Development Dept.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

In the City I work in we require that all stormwater management ponds have a maintenence agreement with the City. This is approved by the Common Council and is enforced by the Engineering Department. I am not aware of any major issues they have encountered. The agreement deals with all aspects of the pond maintennece, including overgrown weeds and litter. If you want, I can probably get a copy of one and e-mail it to you.

At my previous job I would drive by the facilities in Spring and Fall and see what condition they were in (there were not a whole lot of ponds in the City - maybe 20 at most). I would then inform the property owners or condo/homeowners association that is needed to be cleaned up.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Dedicate them to the twp. The only way the things will end up working right.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    We require maintnenace covenants between the county and the HOA or business. It gives us the right to first write a letter giving them 30 days to remedy said problem if not the county will enter the property and remedy the situation at the cost of the HOA or business. We use the New Jersey NJSA laws regarding mosquito extermination and control because unmaintained basins (above and below ground) can easily become mosquito breeders.
    @GigCityPlanner

Drainage Facilities

Thanks Tide, I appreciate the input.............do you require HOA's as part of your development process? Thanks! John

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Many time the city or towns do not want to maintain these areas, so in areas where these types of improvements are required and HOA, or some types of covenants are created for mainenance. In my experience the best way to get an area such as this cleaned up is contacting the City in regards to weeds, as Repo Man mentioned. However, there could be bigger issues if the area has not been properly maintained. A lot of these ponds lose their holding ability over time due to sedimnetation, so to correct a drainage problem it will go beyond that. Good Luck

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by johnelsden View post
    Thanks Tide, I appreciate the input.............do you require HOA's as part of your development process? Thanks! John

We leave that decision up to the developer and the townships to determine whether or not a HOA is developed. There are just some cases where a HOA of 12 houses cannot support the maintenance of the roads and a basin system so the township will maintain the basins and charge a yearly fee to maintain them. Often times the towns can make a buck or two doing this since they already have a DPW system that has all the appropriate equipment.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by johnelsden View post
    Seems like no one wants to bother with drainage facilities or problems on residential areas.......... John
    Ha, developers in Florida are notorious for turning over crappy drainage systems to HOAs. Then some loser politician spends taxpayer money to fix it because the whiney HOA that got screwed over means a lot of votes (and what happened to those wetlands btw ). On a 1-10 outrage scale I give this issue an 8. Of course, this would only be a 4 or 5 on a Florida scale

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Ha, developers in Florida are notorious for turning over crappy drainage systems to HOAs. Then some loser politician spends taxpayer money to fix it because the whiney HOA that got screwed over means a lot of votes (and what happened to those wetlands btw ). On a 1-10 outrage scale I give this issue an 8. Of course, this would only be a 4 or 5 on a Florida scale
    This is exactly why the townships should require them to be dedicated. With an HOA, I can turn it over before its even built. Let alone built right. Dedication, the twp engineer gets to review the as builts, its perfomrance, etc...

The twps always end up maintaining these things regardless. Save yourself the trouble.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    This is exactly why the townships should require them to be dedicated. With an HOA, I can turn it over before its even built. Let alone built right. Dedication, the twp engineer gets to review the as builts, its perfomrance, etc...

The twps always end up maintaining these things regardless. Save yourself the trouble.
    No, the politicians should hold developers accountable or make them post maintenance bonds. City staff want nothing to do with these things.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Subdivision Drainage easement fiasco
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 19 Jul 2007, 12:06 PM
  2. Landscaping in drainage easements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Aug 2006, 2:20 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Dec 2005, 11:46 AM