Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ride up the technological learning curve: Flickr maps and georeferencing

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ride up the technological learning curve: Flickr maps and georeferencing

Anybody use Flickr Maps for online georeferencing tools? I get that it's much like Frappr, but it looks much cooler, using the Flickr image tag system. Anybody else use this? It looks very powerful. They're talking about geohackers and importing tags on this blog. This stuff is way cool, and I can see the immediate application for a community planning setting. But there's this language and geek-speak barrier that I am not able to overcome yet.

Anybody else using these tools? I am just amazed at what can be done, and I need to learn more about it. I just came across this tonight and I didn't really read things word-for-word, so I still have to do my own homework.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I made my own map using Flickr and flickrmap.com and I must say I am pleased with the results. However, I am not yet convinced that this can be readily applied to community planning efforts, i.e. public input. Here's a screenshot of my map:

Last edited by Wannaplan?; 06 Sep 2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fixed some typos

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Thanks for the information. The GIS guy and I may put something together for the Managers office as a selling aid for corporations and residents.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2006

using picasa and google earth instead of / in conjunction with flickr

(note: apparently I can't post links until I have 5 other posts, so sorry for the inconvenience --> just copy/paste the urls)

The flickr geotagging tool was released about two weeks ago and is a very cool and useful tool... I'm glad that there is finally and 'official' solution

to spatially locating our photos (as opposed to sites like zoomr and mappr).

The observation that I have is that it is a better idea to geotag using picasa and google earth BEFORE uploading to flickr.

This blog post (gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/08/better_method_f.html) explains why it is better (google earth writes geolat and geolong tags to the EXIF file of the photo, flickr does not), plus using google earth is simply more fun than yahoo maps. You can go to (flickr.com/account/geo/exif) to set flickr to automatically recognize the EXIF geotags when you upload your pictures... and voila. Your pics will show up on the flickr map along with all your other photos, and your photos will permanently have geotags associated with them so if you want to use them in another application, or in the future if flickr goes away and some other photo site pops up, you won't be SOL and have to start over geotagging all those pictures again.

This blog (digitalgeography.co.uk/262) also has a great step-by-step on how to geotag using picasa and google earth.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use flickr for your photos - in fact, quite the opposite. They have a great way of displaying your pictures on the map using 'clusters' of dots. Plus they have other great aspects like the tagging system.

Of course, if your photos are already in flickr, you either have to use their own geotagging tool, or re-upload the geotagged pictures after deleting the old (this would really be an inconvenience to those with a bunch of existing flickr pictures).

Enjoy...

And of course I have to make my own plug --> I am a recent college grad of planning & development looking for an entry level job, so if there are any private firms out there with an opening, please contact me. You can visit my website at kyleschaper.com to download my resume and portfolio.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    How is the application of geotagging used on google earth? I used google earth for ariel photos, which is very uselful, but I'm interested in the geotagging.

Thanks for any help.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    You have to use picasa 2.5 in conjunction with google earth to geotag. This blog has a great step-by-step tutorial: digitalgeography.co.uk/262

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If I understand this correctly then, the EXIF info on an image is the geotag with latitude and longitude coordiniates. If I don't have a GPS-enabled digital camera, how do I get that data?

Registered
    Aug 2006

exif data

wanigas,

You don't need a gps camera to apply geotags to your photos... that's what picasa and google earth do for you. If you follow the tutorial on my previous post they go through step-by-step on how to do it, and the result EXIF data written to your photos looks like this: static.flickr.com/96/240565109_a3d3d37712_o.jpg (you have to add the http and copy/paste because I can't post links)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    But let me ask this. Why would one use Picasa & Google when Flickr already does a decent job?

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Yes, flickr does a 'good' job, but using picasa and google earth permanently writes the geotags to the file itself, so if you were to take those photos to another application or something that recognizes geolat and geolong, you don't have to relocate them. Flickr doesn't do this, so if you take your photos out of flickr they will not have any coordinates associated with them. For most people I guess it isn't a big deal, but for me, since I need to go through the initial step of geotagging anyway, I would rather do it once, and permanently (plus using google earth is much better than yahoo maps).

Once you geotag with google earth, you can then upload the pics to flickr and they will automatically pop up on the yahoo map inside of flickr just as if you had geotagged within the flickr organizr itself (be sure to set your preferences to auto-recognize exif data here: flickr.com/account/geo/exif). No one will know the difference, and you get the benefit of both sides: the permanent geotags using picasa/GE, and the cool display of your photos using flickr.

Registered
    Feb 2003

flickr + geotagging

I have found the geotagging both fun and useful. Pictures can be quickly tagged within flickr especially with a tool like the 'localize bookmarklet' tool (explained below). For one project I needed an image of a certain area. Tags in flickr work woderfully for objects but maps work so much better for places! I contacted the flickr user for permission to use the image, and they were dlighted that I found the image using the geotag.

I hope that soon we will look back at digital cameras the same way we do 35mm film. Hopefully cameras will output GPS coordinates, compas bearing, and azimuth readings encoded into the header information of the picture. Until then, geotag pictures! While flickr has added yahoo maps into its toolbox (flickr was bought by yahoo maybe a year ago), I recommend using google tools to geocode.
    One tool I have found extremely useful is this bookmarklet:

http://labs.sumaato.net/tools/flickr...e_bookmarklet/

It is a little widget that sits in your browser. If you are on a flickr image, you click it and it brings up a google map. Click where the image was taken, and presto: geotagged image in flickr. It also lets people see your image on a google map
    I have not used the picasa geotagging option, but if it places the tags in the image file it is worth exploring!

Luis

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Oct 2008, 8:05 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Jun 2004, 12:58 PM
  3. Curve Radius Requirements
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 May 2002, 3:29 PM
  4. Curve Radius Standards