Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Career advice for fresh grad

Registered
    Nov 2004

Career advice for fresh grad

Hi everyone, I've two job hunting questions, heres hoping you can help

1) I've recently graduated with a Master's in planning. Prior to that I've had architecture experience but no "direct" planning experience. At what level should I apply for jobs in planning?
    -Internship level, Assistant Planner, Planner I or II?
    (I can't really survive for long on an intern salary, though )

2) Will public agencies (counties and cities) hire non-US citizens? I'm still on a student visa and permitted to work for a year. Afterwhich a work-visa is required.

Thank you for your kind help. Have a nice day!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    1) as a recent grad looking for employment (with no direct land use planning experience), I'm not finding much luck at the "associate planner" level. I think I'm more likely to get hired at the Assistant Planner level.

background: Master of city planning, MS Engineering, BS Environmental Economics and Policy - all from UC Berkeley. Experience - transportation research and other non-relevant work.

2) I *think* that fewer public and private employers are able/willing to sponsor non-US citizens.... Likewise, I am less likely to get a sponsorship outside the US....

GOOD LUCK!!

Quote Originally posted by silentvoice View post
    1) I've recently graduated with a Master's in planning. Prior to that I've had architecture experience but no "direct" planning experience. At what level should I apply for jobs in planning?
    -Internship level, Assistant Planner, Planner I or II?
    In my experience, many public agencies view a master's degree as substituting for 2 or 3 years of professional experience. So just look at the minimum requirements for the job and judge accordingly. I would suggest a general philosophy to err on the side of applying for too many positions rather than too few. You shouldn't need to resort to an internship.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the reply folks
    Last edited by silentvoice; 12 Sep 2006 at 1:04 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    Thank you for asking this question. I have a similar background and I am in the same situation. I am finding it especially difficult to find a job that fits my level of experience becasue most of the cities in my area are small and thus have small planning departments. It seems that Associate Planner is the lowest level they hire at. You may find more assistant planning positions in larger cities. Good Luck with your search.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by SpringfieldMonorail View post
    In my experience, many public agencies view a master's degree as substituting for 2 or 3 years of professional experience.
    Most of the job posts I've seen indicate a Master's degree will only count for 1 year of experience. I've occasionally seen it count for 2 years experience.

But, I'm finding that I'm up against people with "real world" on-the-job land use planning experience at the associate planner level. It seems that academia just can't compete with that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Career advice sought grad school/other ?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 08 Oct 2012, 1:39 PM
  2. Need advice: grad school and career options
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Feb 2012, 7:30 PM
  3. Advice for a new ECU grad
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Feb 2010, 2:42 AM
  4. Graduate school and career advice (was: Advice?)
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 11:09 AM
  5. Grad School advice
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jul 2006, 9:19 AM