Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweatshirt Weather

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sweatshirt Weather

This thread has logical connections to a number of other threads......tailgate parties, Labor Day, autumn, football, random weather.....

This Bear, and charming wife (Katie), always look forward to what we call "sweatshirt weather". Happens every late Summer, early Autumn.

I have not worn a sweatshirt since May. Summer arrived and cool nights (or cooler days) never did show their stuff in this corner of NW Ohio. Z-Man mentioned in another thread that his temperature was in the 40F's. NW Ohio has not had anything below mid-50's in months.....and only a couple nights in that range.

There is something calming and warm and comfortable and relaxing about putting on a big ole' sweatshirt. Back when this Bear was a young cubbie, sweatshirts were all plain.....hardly ever noticed one with any kind of logo or printing. They were usually sweatshirt grey.

We have come a long way, baby. I have a huge collection of sweatshirts, mostly college, sports, or tavern related. Katie makes fun of my wardrobe......."You gonna stop at Lake Superior State University and upgrade your wardrobe?" (Actual quote from July vacation, up north.)

My sweatshirts include.....

University of New Hampshire
    Frosty's Bar (Put-In-Bay) Jax has seen these.
    Roundhouse Bar (Same P-I-Bay)
    Lake Superior State University
    Northern Michigan University (michaelskis school )
    University of Alaska
    University of Michigan (Lots of these!)
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Hard Rock Cafe (Toronto, Atlanta. I think Baltimore)
    Michigan Tech
    Mackinaw Island
    University of Toronto
    Penn State University

Something very refreshing about sweatshirts and "sweatshirt weather".

Agree? What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This thread has logical connections to a number of other threads......tailgate parties, Labor Day, autumn, football, random weather.....

This Bear, and charming wife (Katie), always look forward to what we call "sweatshirt weather". Happens every late Summer, early Autumn.

Something very refreshing about sweatshirts and "sweatshirt weather".
    How timely is this post! Yesterday was our first day in New Jersey and Emily and I had to don sweatshirts in the evening when we went out to the grocery store. It is so cold (to me!) after being in South Carolina for the last 4 years where it only turns cool around November. Emily kept complaining that she was freezing all last night and could we please go back to SC now? I laughed and told her wait until it starts snowing. I got an evil look shot back at me.

Really though, fall is my favorite seasons having grown up in Oregon. I used to walk to school everyday and my gauge of the arrival of fall was the smell of wood fireplaces burning in the morning and the crunch of leaves underfoot and that crispness in the air that just isn't there any other time of the year. So yeah...I love sweatshirt weather!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    But sweatshirt weather really puts a damper on beach visits! We won't get any until at least December, probably.

Being in central FL I only have a couple sweatshirts: a plain navy blue, and a Disney Wilderness Lodge.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    no sweatshirts here but I do have fleece.
    SAW don't go there, I know what some of you will say, specially you _ _ .
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Partial list of my sweatshirts that won't come out for a few months yet:

Sonoma St. University
    University of Michigan
    Michigan State Police
    Indiana University

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    no sweatshirts here but I do have fleece.
    SAW don't go there, I know what some of you will say, specially you _ _ .
    Baaaaa, Baaaaaa, Baaaaaa

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I have several, but my favorites in the rotation seem to be:

Newcastle United FC
    Arsenal FC
    Lenoir Rhyne College Soccer
    Crawdads Baseball

Had to by WeeP a sweatshirt at the baseball game this weekend since I didn't expect it to be chilly. We've had nice cool evenings over the weekend - yep its getting pleasant here too.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Fall is almost here and I couldn’t be happier. Probably my favorite thing about living in the Northeast is the full, long fall season that we experience - as opposed to the short three or so weeks we’d have back down South. Sweatshirts, however, are not my thing so much. I wear them around the house, or to football games, but I’m more of a sweater and jacket man in my day-today wardrobe. I do have a few that make the rotation every year.

I have couple of College of Charleston sweatshirts. Which is kind of odd considering that it was rarely ever cold enough in Charleston to wear one. Not that it matters as my wife has liberated them from my closet to hers.
    A Clemson sweatshirt for tailgating trips.
    A Panama City Beach pullover hoodie I received as a Secret Santa gift from some weird fellow in Florida a couple of years back.

My favorite clothes for sweatshirt weather is a thin zip-up hoodie over a tee-shirt. That with a ratty pair of jeans is perfect for October weekends.
    Last edited by biscuit; 05 Sep 2006 at 11:34 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Fall is near, my allergies are already starting to act up. I welcome the comfortable weather, though. Wasn't there a poll once about what everyone's favorite month was? If I recall correctly it was either September or October (fall at least for the northern hemisphere)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    I do find a similar comfort in pulling my sweatshirts out of the closet and wearing them every fall. Who cares about the actual sweatshirts thought. I am just happy to not be sweating to death everyday once it gets this cool. There is nothing bettter than leaving the windows open and waking up to a freezing bedroom each morning. Good weather for cuddling!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Yes, sweatshirt weather is back here in Colorado, especially last weekend (when I was in the mountains at a frosty 10,000 feet above sea level.

I have purged a lot of my clothes last week out of simplicity, but I do have some sweatshirts.
    -U of Northern Colorado (favorite, purchased on discount from bookstore when I worked there)
    -Gonzaga Univ. (Christmas present from my Inland NW fiance a couple years back)
    -USA 2002 Olympic sweatshirt.
    -$4.00 plain blue Old Navy (for lounging)
    -and a Rogue Brewing Dead Guy Ale hooded one.

Neat, I like em.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    It's always sweatshirt weather in Maine! I don't think a week went by this summer that the evening did not require a sweatshirt of some sort...I think Fall started here about 2 weeks ago!

And I like sleeping in cool weather so it doesn't bother me -

I only have a few sweatshirts, actually, as I also reach for my Columbia-branded fleece or shell:

1998 APA Boston conference sweatshirt (yeah, I know, whatta geek!), no hood
    Patriot's sweatshirt, no hood
    Plain grey sweatshirt, no hood
    zip up grey plain, with hood

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Eeeep I have more sweatshirts than I would like to admit,

UNCG
    Disney
    VaTech
    UNC
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (Disney)
    Sorority stuff
    Ski trips
    Various cute critters
    I think a couple of old Marine ones in there some where, hope I threw those in the rag pile but never know.

Im starting to crave "comfort foods" and my scale is saying no siree no meatloaf, potatos, roast, apple pie etc for you
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I own one sweatshirt (a hoodie, or bunnyhug if you are from Saskatchewan) and it is an 'Independent' skateboard shirt. It's probably 15 years old, and has tons of holes in it. I wear it around the house only, as it's not fit to wear out. No other sweatshirts for me... they add like 20 lbs to my already husky frame, and I don't find them appealing on just about anyone. I have about 20 sweaters though.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Outside of my U of U hoodies (2), I don't own other sweatshirts. My sool weather gera usually consists of one of my 7 fleece type of jackets. My favorite is a very light weight windstopper soft shell from Marmot. keeps the wind out, repels water, and is suprisingly warm for how thin it is. I hate how bulky sweatshirts are.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey.....

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    -and a Rogue Brewing Dead Guy Ale hooded one.

Neat, I like em.
    I got two of those in my fridge right now......but I think mine are a little bit skunky!

Sweatshirts? What are those? oh yeah, I used to wear those in Colorado once in a while....

My wife loves these things....me...not so much....

I have one great ski sweater that I've worn for about 17 years....and that's about it...
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What are these sweatshirts you speak of?

I prefer a sweatshirt to a jacket, so I probably have more than the average Texan:
    Texas State University (hooded pull over)
    Texas State University
    Texas State University
    University of Northern Iowa
    Cal Poly
    University of Pennsylvania
    Ohio State (sorry Bear)
    Penn State
    University of Toledo (now will you forgive me Bear?)
    Bowling Green State University (how about now?)
    Pat's Place Restaurant (local Irish restaurant)

My wife loves to steal these out of my closet...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My sweatshirt:
    1) IU
    2) Colts
    3) Southern Miss
    4) A plain dark blue one
    5) A grey one with the olypmic logo on it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Damn...this thread made me realize I need to update my sweatshirt wardrobe. All of them seem plain and boring.

Living in the Midwest though, I know what you mean by sweathshirt weather, and I've been having to wear a sweatshirt in the morning to go to class. But by the afternoon, it usually heats up, and you have to shred the layers.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm not really into sweatshirts. I'll only wear one in public if it has a hood and zipper and conforms to a certain fit. Thus, my inventory of traditional sweatshirts is very limited:

University of New Orleans (traditional)
    Florida A&M University (hoodie but no zipper - this one is a collector's item)
    Mickey Mouse (hoodie and zipper, but only worn at Magic Kingdom)
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I have never really had the opportunity to wear sweatshirts. In Boston, they were generally considered inappropriate outdoor clothing (except for 50+ year olds and/or tourists ) and I was always hot in the heat inside. Down here, it has not been cold enough for a sweatshirt (or a winter coat) yet.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I love sweatshirts and have many more than I can count. The ones I wear frequently:

some green sweatshirt - conservation/save the world somethin or other
    grey Rams (Issac Bruce)
    Black PUMA hoodie - favorite
    navy blue adidas
    black hoodie; zip up
    an october (halloween ghost) shirt from my son's 1st daycare

I can't think of anymore, these are the ones I wear all the time...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm not a sweatshirt kind of girl. Too bulky. I do love my long sleeve tee shirts though. And especially since I usually have a backpack full of toddler strapped to me when I go anywhere aside from work, sweatshirts are still way too hot now. Even if it were, i'd wear a fleece.

I don't even think I own any sweatshirts anymore.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Unzipping An Old Thread

Time to live under pre-conceived notion standards and unzip an old thread.....

What the hexx, it is September.....and temperatures in the Toledo area are going to be near-sweatshirt weather temps (at least in the early morning).

A number of newbie Cyburbians haven't read (and posted) on this thread. That group includes a now-active Alaska poster. Let's hear it from the newbies!
    _____

New sweatshirts since my opening post.....

Another couple Pittsburgh Steeler sweatshirts
    A really comfortable Northern Michigan University hoodie (burnt orange)
    A Detroit Tiger sweatshirt

Pot
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I bought a Roots sweatshirt while in Vancouver back in May. Its a Canadian company so it naturally has a big maple leaf on the front. There is also a small applique of a beaver on the sleeve. My other sweatshirt, which was from my undergrad school, has sadly worn out (more accurately stretched out). It tended to be an occasional conversation starter even hundreds of miles away.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    There's a season for sweatshirts? I wear them year-round, and it's been sweatshirt weather allll summer here . I have lots of hoodies, fleece, and nicer wool sweaters for work, etc. I anticipate to start seeing snow in the next month or so, and I'll be able to really break out the winter gear

Specifically for sweatshirts, my inventory consists of:

Salty Dawg Saloon
    Midnight Sun Brewery
    Alaskan Amber
    Northern Arizona University Alumni
    Arizona Snowbowl Hoodie
    Grand Canyon
    Seattle Mariners
    Sorority hoodie
    Alaska Grown

...I'm sure there's one or two more that I'm missing, but that's a sampling.
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New Zealand Weather
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Aug 2004, 3:46 PM
  2. How's your weather?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 17 Aug 2004, 7:25 PM
  3. And The Best Weather Is In.....