Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Winning the Lottery!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I would donate the entire lot to end cat juggling.
    Or start my own franchise of Confuse-A-Cat, Ltd.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would buy 200+ acres. Plant 10 acres of vines and have a tremendous garden. I would work to make the land a palace.

I would help with every building or landscaping project at my house.

I would have a cross country race and charity race on my property every year fully funding both.

I would volunteer as a cc and track coach.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I think questions about what one would do if they got rich instantly are not so much inquiries about allocating personal resources as they are questions about one's character.
    I know, that's why I feel like a complete asshole for not wanting to just hand it out freely to people

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I know, that's why I feel like a complete asshole for not wanting to just hand it out freely to people
    Why thats not being an ass! Thats not being a sucker!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Student loans would get a chunk. RT's tuition another chunk. Whatever is left would be invested and squirreled away.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Why thats not being an ass! Thats not being a sucker!
    You ever seen a hearse with luggage racks?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pay off the few remaining bills, do some work on the house and gardens, and make charitable cash contributions to strippers.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    ...and make charitable cash contributions to strippers.
    Make it rain.... make it rain good sir.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    You ever seen a hearse with luggage racks?
    No but I've yet to see a death shroud with pockets!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

BUMP

Well, the media is saying that the Powerball jackpot is expected to hit $500 million and change. I even donated a few $ to get into a ticket group. Even though it came out of the entertainment category on budget, it is still nice to think, what would I do if I win.

My wife thinks we should buy the house next door to RJ. (Well she said Florida, but I heard "house next to RJ.)

What would you do if you won? Let's say your take home share (after taxes) was more than $10 million. Would you quit your job? Would you buy some stuff? Would you pay off all your debt? Would you hang out and post on Cyburbia all day?

How would your life change?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2004
    I would donate alot of it. That's way more money than I would ever need.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I "need" $2.6 to retire at 53 and never work again. So since that isn't for 20 years, I would say I "need" maybe $8m to never work again.

The rest I would do four things:

- Create a scholarship with odd demands - 3.0-3.2 GPA, must run under 18 minute 5k, etc.
    - Have something named after me like a Park or Hospital bathroom.
    - Give my family whatever I am legally able to without having to get taxed on it.
    - Buy a winery and watch the money disappear.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    - Create a scholarship with odd demands - 3.0-3.2 GPA, must run under 18 minute 5k, etc.
    Can play dark side of the moon on a recorder backwards.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I'm am 62 years old, childless, and growing ever more frugal (ie, cheap) as I age. I would share that $10 million with my family and with my community:
    • I would retire ASAP (like give 30-60 days notice as I like my job and my boss and wouldn't leave him in the lurch).
    • I would pay off all my debts, primarily my mortgage and my car.
    • I would upgrade my little house nicely, and then I would raffle it off with the proceeds going to a local charity or charities.
    • Meanwhile I would buy some suitable land in northern Cattaraugus or Chautauqua County where I would build a modest passive solar house and grow flowers and veggies, and collect cats, dogs, and old horses.
    • I would buy a motorhome and tour the US for a while. I would also travel to some parts of Europe (primarily British Isles and Italy).
    • I'd give my bros enough so that they could retire, too, and pay off my nieces' and nephew's college loans. I would also give them some money, maybe $100,000 each, to go back to college or buy a house or start a business.
    • The rest I would invest, but since the income would be far in excess of what I'd need to live on, I would make sizable contributions to charity every year, and when I died, after making sure my critters were cared for, I'd donate the remainder to those same charities.
    • Finally, I would make it clear to my family that they got theirs already, and not to wait around hoping to get more when I pass because there's no more. I cannot stand people who a) wait around for relatives to die in order to get inheritances or b) manipulate people by holding the promise of an inheritance (or the withholding of it) over their heads. Both cases are despicable IMO.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    As I said in 2006 - I would quit my job, pay for big items for family (mortgages, tuition, etc) and buy as much contiguous rural land in NE Lower Michigan to have a huge feudal estate when needed.

To keep myself busy, I'd probably establish a foundation or research institute to bullshit all day and travel for conferences, etc.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

What would you do if you won? Let's say your take home share (after taxes) was more than $10 million. Would you quit your job? Would you buy some stuff? Would you pay off all your debt? Would you hang out and post on Cyburbia all day?

How would your life change?
    I'd slow this gig down in a heartbeat and buy a couple houses after I paid off my friends' mortgages and gave to charity. Then I'd be the investor for the things I'm slow in getting going because purse strings are tight. Money solves many problems.

Back in HS, my long-time GF had a family friend who won the biggest OH lottery at that time. Paid off family-friend mortgages, invested, lived life. They were never stressed at any time I interacted with them.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    I'd slow this gig down in a heartbeat and buy a couple houses after I paid off my friends' mortgages and gave to charity. Then I'd be the investor for the things I'm slow in getting going because purse strings are tight. Money solves many problems.

Back in HS, my long-time GF had a family friend who won the biggest OH lottery at that time. Paid off family-friend mortgages, invested, lived life. They were never stressed at any time I interacted with them.

Daniel Tosh pre-TV... classic.
    Money doesn't buy happiness." Uh, do you live in America? 'Cause it buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen a sad person on a WaveRunner?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    in the Office Pool.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Hire a tutor for my kids, travel around the world for a very long time (after my financial advisor ensures me that I will live off the interest comfortably), and pay off the debts of those I love.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Do all my volunteer activities and see if I could fit work into the schedule anywhere instead of the reverse which I do now.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'd honestly just sit on the money till I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. Of course I'd pay off things like student loans and travel a bit more liberally but I'd still keep my job. Although going back to school to get an expensive degree and then starting a non-profit does have an appeal to me. Would need to find a cause that I'd be interested in pursing long term though.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I think we would move to NC or FL and not tell my MIL...

Registered
    May 2005
    Well if I won the $500M jackpot....

Quit my job
    Pay off all outstanding debts
    Establish trust funds for my kids

This is where it would get tricky. I'm not certain we would immediately jump ship and move somewhere warm and sunny. We'd have to discuss this with the kids.

Even if we didn't move right away, we would purchase real estate in a warm climate. NC, SC, FL, Mexico, the Caribbean???

Lots of travel.

I would also do some nice things for the people who truly impacted my life in a positive way.

I would establish some sort of consulting business just to give me something to do. My new found riches should be able to garner me some interesting clients.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    500 Mil hug.

Other than making it rain in my house the following would get done:

1) Pay off all outstanding Debt

2) Purchase Dream Home in town and pay-off FIL house

3) Set-up Trust fund for kids

4) Set-up scholarships for College/HS

5) Take one hell of a vacation with kids

6) Continue to work until a good stopping point

7) Go into real estate development
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Sprawl: cities that are winning
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 04 Mar 2011, 2:29 PM
  2. Winning Arguments
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 17 Apr 2006, 9:26 PM
  3. Replies: 4