Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Real Life vs. Virtual Online Life.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Real Life vs. Virtual Online Life.

The World Wide Web has introduced people to a myriad of new things, including opportunities to be someone completely different than who they really are. Different people get into different depths of the internet. From paying ďtaxesĒ for cyber-land on one site, where you can build a house, and design your own place, or the creation of a nation where itís political agenda, direction, and economy is based on how you respond to issues.

It is event to the point that online books from some sites are replacing backpack filling and entire virtual classrooms are allowing people from around the globe to take classes from the comfort of their own home. And of course there is sports from Fantasy Football to Fantasy Bass Fishing.

After reading an article, some woman living in Germany has spent over $250,000 to buy cyber property as a land speculator, in the hopes that people will buy it from her at an inflated cost, or that others will rent space from her. Second Life is a fully 3D global world not to much different in than the real world. But then again we do this with websites already.

At what point is a personís online life too much? There is not much in life that people canít do using the internet. But is that such a good thing?

How into this virtual online world are you? How much time does this take from your real world life?
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I had a boss once who was absolutely addicted to an online game (can't recall the name of the game, but it was some mideival thing), and people would actually buy and sell weapons and things, with real money! He admited to me that he payed $200 once so his character could have some special sword. He sent a real person the real money, and then met the person's online character at a specific location in the game to exchange the sword. He knew it was silly of him, but he got so wrapped up in the game. He played that thing all night long, every night. He was always anxious to get home and play it.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    I had a boss once who was absolutely addicted to an online game (can't recall the name of the game, but it was some mideival thing), and people would actually buy and sell weapons and things, with real money! He admited to me that he payed $200 once so his character could have some special sword. He sent a real person the real money, and then met the person's online character at a specific location in the game to exchange the sword. He knew it was silly of him, but he got so wrapped up in the game. He played that thing all night long, every night. He was always anxious to get home and play it.
    Warcraft maybe?

Registered
    May 2005
    I have this science fiction novel idea in mind in which computer technology continues to develop new and improved ways to interact and interfacce with others. New products boast being "almost like interaction with real people!!" At some point, a dramatic event occurs that forces people to walk out of their houses and actually relate to each other using good old fashioned voices and ears and there is a world wide epiphany about the usefulness of digital technology (which is to say not that it is useless, but that it cannot replace real human interaction).

I think in a way this is what some were secretly hoping for with Y2K, but alas. Now the Peak Oil folks are making similar noise about the fall of (digital and other) life as we know it. Who knows.

I tend to use the computer more as a tool for accomplishing other (real, tangible, palpable) things and less as a means unto itself, but I see the allure. I have been know to spend hours on realtor.com searching for new places to settle...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Warcraft maybe?
    fun game.. but you gotta keep your priorities straight.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Warcraft maybe?
    Off-topic:
    everquest?? but i haven't played world or warcraft..yet

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    At what point is a personís online life too much? There is not much in life that people canít do using the internet. But is that such a good thing?

How into this virtual online world are you? How much time does this take from your real world life?
    A) You have been online too much when you have radiation burns from the monitor. (Or it's time to get a better monitor. )

B) Can't get pregnant via internet sex, so there are some things you still have to do in person.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    You have been on line too much when your Cyburbia post count passes 1,403.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rem View post
    You have been on line too much when your Cyburbia post count passes 1,403.
    (baiting) So, does that mean we will never see you again?(baiting)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    A) You have been online too much when you have radiation burns from the monitor. (Or it's time to get a better monitor. )

B) Can't get pregnant via internet sex, so there are some things you still have to do in person.
    I can't help but wonder whether you figured these two things out at the same time

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I can't help but wonder whether you figured these two things out at the same time
    Random replies that come to mind:

A) That's a silly question: If I were engaged in such activities for long enough to get radiation burns, why on earth would I notice them?
    B) Gawd, you're evil.
    C) "There are some things you shouldn't ask a lady" -- Mae West

* and please spare me the oh so obvious rebuttal that "MZ ain't no lady".

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post

Heck, I thought you couldn't get pregnant via internet sex BECAUSE of the radiation exposure

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There have been times in my life where my internet life WAS my life. My husband and I met online (chatting on IRC, if any of you are geeky enough/old enough to know what that is). I remember once going to a concert with a friend and then rushing to get home so I could chat with him, totally ditching out on my friend. So yeah, I guess there have been times where my online life took over my real life, as scary as that may seem.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Wait! there's a real life?

Nah... I'm not stuck here all day.... just my dead hours... (read: when I'm not busy at uni)

Not much online life either... just some chatting with a reduced number of people (most from uni for strictly academic purposes) and browsing through some daily sites...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite View post
    There have been times in my life where my internet life WAS my life. My husband and I met online (chatting on IRC, if any of you are geeky enough/old enough to know what that is). I remember once going to a concert with a friend and then rushing to get home so I could chat with him, totally ditching out on my friend. So yeah, I guess there have been times where my online life took over my real life, as scary as that may seem.
    Me too due to my work schedule and caring for a child on my own. I met my best friend online nearly 8 years ago and he lives in India. I've been to India to visit him and he has been to the U.S. to visit me. Wouldn't trade the friendship for anything in the world. I used to chat in IRC until it morphed into chat rooms and then along came IM. I count many good friends I have met online in my circle.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rem View post
    You have been on line too much when your Cyburbia post count passes 1,406.
    [edit]...advancing post count... It's like speeding - the only ones being irresponsible are those going faster than you, even if you are also over the speed limit.[/edit]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    I still think the addiction to the internet will have an adverse impact on the social interaction amongst millions of people in our society. People cannot learn to resolve conflict and interact if their life has become engrossed in a fantasy world devoid of actual human interaction.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jringel View post
    I still think the addiction to the internet will have an adverse impact on the social interaction amongst millions of people in our society. People cannot learn to resolve conflict and interact if their life has become engrossed in a fantasy world devoid of actual human interaction.

Yeah, I'm not actually interacting with real human beings in all the forums and e-mail lists I belong to. Real relationships never arise from, say, discussions in this forum. These people never meet in person, never hire each other, never date each other. I mean it isn't like people I know via online forums have ever called me, met me for lunch, helped me with my websites, helped me close out my apartment in california....

MZ ponders which smiley will emphasize that I am being sarcastic without stinging too much and comes up blank.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ^^^ Thanks for the laugh, MZ. I needed it today.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    ^^^ Thanks for the laugh, MZ. I needed it today.
    Don't laugh too hard, you'll dislodge the clot in your mouth (says the woman who has had FIVE molars removed ).

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My kid is addicted to Warcraft. The only saving grace is he's met some new neighborhood kids he has started to hang out with, instead of wanting to be on the computer all day/evening.

My only online addiction is cyburbia and thankfully RJ shares that....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    My kid is addicted to Warcraft. The only saving grace is he's met some new neighborhood kids he has started to hang out with, instead of wanting to be on the computer all day/evening.

My only online addiction is cyburbia and thankfully RJ shares that....
    you can set limits on the account.. goto blizzards website and you can limit when and how long he can log on.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 368
    Last post: 29 Jun 2015, 9:38 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 03 Jun 2011, 9:24 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 9:25 PM
  4. School vs real life
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8