Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Father's Day - 2007

Registered
    Aug 2001

Father's Day - 2007

My dad is long gone but I remember always doing something special just for him. Washing and waxing his pick-up and/or the family car, splitting extra firewood and kindling, spraying DDT along the fence line (), cleaning gutters, picking out cards with mom at the pharmacy...lots of little stuff.

What are you doing for your father this weekend? What are your children doing for you? I'll reflect on the impact my dad had on my life. A good guy.

All I want is the seed of my loans to remember and give me a call...

But then...maybe the Conair Nose and Ear Hair Trimmer would be nice. The Ultimate.

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?...tnrData=201828
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    My dad is long gone ...
    I'll reflect on the impact my dad had on my life. A good guy.
    36 yrs now.
    Same here.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    My dad is long gone but I remember always doing something special just for him. Washing and waxing his pick-up and/or the family car, splitting extra firewood and kindling, spraying DDT along the fence line (), cleaning gutters, picking out cards with mom at the pharmacy...lots of little stuff.

What are you doing for your father this weekend? What are your children doing for you? I'll reflect on the impact my dad had on my life. A good guy.

All I want is the seed of my loans to remember and give me a call...

But then...maybe the Conair Nose and Ear Hair Trimmer would be nice. The Ultimate.

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?...tnrData=201828
    seed of loans or loins??? lol... one and the same though eh?? lol... I sent Dad his gift in the mail. It is a 4 hour drive and my old dog really can't get around their house too well...too many stairs for the 14 year old.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I'm running to Rite Aid during lunch to send my Dad a card. I always forget Mothers Day and Fathers Day. I don't even know what month Grandparents' Day is.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Most father's days involve me being allowed to do what ever I want and dragging the whole family with me....I'll be on the boat if anyone needs me.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    May 2005
    My son seems to have some secret plans in store for me, but I have not been able to get anything out of my wife about it. I think it might involve German Chocolate Cake (which he somehow go the idea is my favorite - I like it aplenty, but I wouldn't call it my favorite. Still, I don't have the heart to disappoint the boy).

My own dad is still around, but unfortunately is pretty far along with Alzheimer's. In many ways, he doesn't even seem like the same guy that I know as my father. He is in Seattle now where my brother lives and we will be going to visit in a few weeks. I'll be bringing some family memorabilia for him as a present then (and a phone call this weekend, of course). Anything to help him remember and revel in his role as a patriarch is a good thing, I feel.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My dad died 12 years ago and my son's other parent is long gone from the picture.

We'll cook a nice brunch for RJ on Sunday, since he is a dad.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

What A Guy

Good old dad.

It's been about nine years since he left us. My mother passed on about nine years before he did, so he lived the last years of his life the same way he lived the other years......drinking and chasing women.

A few years after my mother died I was at a big riverfront festival in Toledo, attended by tens of thousands of people listening to rock and roll, walking the riverwalk, and drinking beer. Lo and behold, here comes Dad.....with a young woman on each arm. What a guy.

Another time, I was between marriages and dating a woman named Brenda _____. One Friday night we decided to drive over to a popular bar in Toledo and I would introduce Brenda to Dad. At the introduction we exchanged the usual pleasantries......then he hits me with this: "Oh, what a coincidence. I have been dating a Brenda ______ (same last name, very common name), too."

The Brenda he was dating was four years younger than the Brenda I was dating. What a guy.

Still another time.....my Dad would tend bar at a little tavern in north Toledo, on Sunday mornings. One Christmas season I drove over to give him his usual present.....a Hickory Farms Beef Stick. (He loved them.)

When I pulled up to the bar, in a somewhat seedy area of town, there were a couple "ladies of the night" standing on the sidewalk, next to the bar's entrance. It was early Sunday morning and the church they were attending may have had something to do with God, but I'm not quite sure.

They watched me climb out of my truck, thinking I was a "john". I had the big beef stick in my hand......you should have seen their eyes!

Went I went into the bar, another prostitute tried to sell me a carburatur.

The prostitute stories have nothing to do with my father.......just indications of the types of places he frequented.
    _____

Before he semi-retired, he was a hard-working businessman. His work ethic was incredible. I do miss the old guy.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My Dad passed away about 5 years ago and I still miss him very much. For Mr. SC, I'm thinking of getting him XM radio for his truck so he can listen to the baseball games when he is in the truck. Mr. SC will be cooking his own Father's Day meal since he is the cook in the house and if wants a special meal, he knows he has to fix it. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will go good with Blue Nun and his favorite, Beck's dark.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Mine passed away last year, but we never really did the Father's Day thing. He was much like BUN's father although decidedly checked out of fatherly duties.

Mini-me's father finally stepped into the picture a year and a half ago but she doesn't send him a card or otherwise mark Father's Day saying he hasn't earned his stripes yet. Their first visit in 13.5 years is scheduled for 7/22-7/29 so I think that will be more of a Father's Day than this Sunday.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2003
    As for my father he passed away almost 20 years ago. It was such a relief on fathers day after that because I always felt guilty about should I or should I not get him a card.. The last one I sent him he lied and said he never got it.

But King B will be treated as such tomorrow and can do or have what ever he wants! He asked for a 6 gal. air compressor. It has been in my trunk for a week. He will be surprised that we managed to get it!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    My dad passed away 6 years ago & I'm sorry to say I never tread him right on Fathers Day. This will be my first unofficial fathers day, my baby isn't due until September.
    Pudding will not fill the emptiness inside me... but it will help.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My dad is coming over to "bless" my new landscaping. He's a retired Army officer, retired government lawyer, a master certified gardener (yes, there's a test and everything) and a practicing preacher. He helped me plan the landscaping, but he hasn't seen the finished effort.

After that, we're going to dinner. It'll be a family affair, but I'll still offer to buy dad's meal. He wants Mexican, so we're going to a local place that has great tamales and strong drinks.

It's been raining all weekend, some of it with thunder and lighting, so my husband and his dad had to cancel their annual bike ride. Hopefully they can get out next weekend.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well Fathers Day is not till September here and i will be away overseas (actually i also miss Dad's 50th Bday, but i have his blessing to miss it)

I was going to get him the Travelling Willberry's CD, but he is already planning to purchase it himself- so i will think of something else and get my brother to give it to him- or purchase something O/S and send it in the post.

My dad doesnt really get a rest on Father's Day... usually he is still trying to complete projects that he hadnt finished weeks and months before hand! But what can i say, i am a daddy's girl through and through
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Mr. TN got a book I thought was really cool The Dangerous Book for Boys. He really liked it. We tore wallpaper off of the walls in our bathroom. Mr. TN also finished staining the deck.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Even though I'm still a father-to-be, I had a special day too. My wife gave me The Office Season 2 DVD collection and a card. I caught the Fantastic 4 movie with The Syndicate (the fellas). With the help of a co-worker I installed a wrought iron gate for my backyard and some yardwork. I topped off the day with some steaks on the grill and a couple of cold ones.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On Dad's day my spouse took the kids (girls) to the racetrack to see the 250 &350 GP vintage motorcycle races. He then wanted to take his roadster for a spin, so he did. But it broke down 25 miles from home. So instead of us relaxing in the evening, I drove the van down to pick him up, found him sitting in a sheriffs car, (cooling off). Moved the spyder off road and then returned to home to get the trailer and ramps and then drove back down to load up the car.

This car attracts gawkers all the time, so we also had to make pleasantries with several people who stopped to admire and kick the tyres.

His present for Fathers day was that I did not bitch about his GD car!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi View post
    Mr. TN got a book I thought was really cool The Dangerous Book for Boys. He really liked it. We tore wallpaper off of the walls in our bathroom. Mr. TN also finished staining the deck.
    I recently gave a copy of that book to my nephew for his 8th birthday and though at first he didn't seem to thrilled to get a book, my sister has said that once he picked it up he hasn't put it down since... and now his older brothers (ages 10 and 12), are constantly reading through it as well.

As for Father's Day, I went to my parents' house yesterday and helped my 70-year-old father do some major garden work and then washed his truck and 40' fifth-wheel RV for him... Had I realized how long it was going to take me to wash that stuff, I would have done more garden work instead!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

Helped to fund a purchase of $60 hawaiian flip flops for my pops.....best he's ever worn.....so he says.....

I got a great dinner and DEATH BY CHOCOLATE cake.......I needed a shot of insulin after eating it
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2000
    My dad was in town for Father's Day and we (he, my mom, my son and I) did yard work and hung out at my house. On Sunday morning, I went to the club to cook hash browns for our Father's Day breakfast. After I got the browns done, we had breakfast at the club. Dad showed me a few songs on the banjo and we jammed for awhile on Saturday. I'm close to playing Friend of the Devil by the Dead, which is one of my all time favorites.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Budgie, you'll have to play that tune for me sometime, one of my favorites as well

I have the best Dad in the world (yes, yes I do). My mom is out of town in Cali for the week so I got Dad all to myself yesterday. He had a heartattack last summer and still a year later doesn't feel that great, so he came over, I cooked him a big pot of Chicken and Dumplins; let him sit on the couch with the boys and the dogs, made him a CD of different songs that tell him how the boys and I feel about him (along with some of his favoriate oldies) ...just hung out for a bit and let him go home and get some rest. It was sort of nice making him come to our home; at least the boys didn't make any messes that he had to clean up after we were gone. He had a nice time and so did the boys and I.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Because I could not make it home (it’s an 8 hour drive) I sent my dad a gift certificate to Bares and Noble. He reads four to five books a month and I figure he has a list of books that he wants to read.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had a very nice father's day. ZG cooked eggs benedict, a side dish of potatoes with onions and green bell peppers, and sparkling wine. After brunch, my sons called and we had nice conversations .

But then ZG turned evil...I became forced labor in the heat and humidity of central Florida digging up a basketball post and a playground set . Then she "persuaded" me to strip wallpaper. It's worth it.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I had one of the best Fathers Days ever... I got a new boat anchor and some misc. fishing tackle from my boys. On Sunday just me and the boys got early and had the boat in the water and fishing by 7:00 AM. We caught lots of fish and had an encounter with a big red or tarpon and a big shark. We even hooked a small thresher shark. In the evening we had good freinds over with their kids over for a cookout and the kids swam in the pool and let us drink many magaritas in peace.

It was a wonderful day. I cherish it...you never know how many you will get. My kids will be older one day and they will say, " No fishing today dad, I got to meet (insert new girlfriend here) at (insert some place other than my house)." I will miss days like Sunday.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    His present for Fathers day was that I did not bitch about his GD car!
    Too funny!!

I sent my dad a card from me and one from my daughter. Money is kind of tight until the house sells, so a month ago I helped him and my mom redo their landscaping. Plus the man has everything.

I had my daughter make her dad a card and bought a small gift for him (from her). Each year I would make something for him from her. The first year was a framed picture with her footprints and a poem, second was a plaster thing with stones and glass pieces with her handprints and name. Last year was a book. I think the only Mothers Day gift I got from him was one year a $5 gift certificate to Dairy Queen. Nice...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Father's Day 2008
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 15 Jun 2008, 3:44 PM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 11:16 PM
  3. Tax Man 2007
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 08 May 2007, 11:20 AM