Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Clothing Thread -- AKA The "Threads" Thread

Registered
    Jul 2003

The Clothing Thread -- AKA The "Threads" Thread

So much for my plans to take a "clothes shopping sabatical": I caved and bought a cute pale blue 100% cotton sweater with beading and 3/4 length sleeves. So I figured it's high time to start that thread natski and I have been threatening to start. This is your place to celebrate all things clothing and wardrobe related and maybe even learn a thing or two about how to shop for quality clothes, how to put together a functioning wardrobe and so forth.

So talk to me: bought any nice clothes here lately?

*(Please: no rants about the negative sociological meaning of neckties and high heels. Start your own thread for such subjects and don't hijack mine.)

Registered
    May 2004
    I went looking for swim trunks (board shorts) this weekend and found a decent pair at target for $4.48. Was very happy with that purchase.

I have also been shopping for wedding attire. Tried on a three piece brown corduroy suit this weekend. It was soooo cool- but probably not entirely wedding appropriate.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I bought some new shirts over the weekend. I'm picky about plaids matching at seams and across the buttons, and that seams lie flat. I prefer good, sturdy cotton.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    So much for my plans to take a "clothes shopping sabatical": I caved and bought a cute pale blue 100% cotton sweater with beading and 3/4 length sleeves. So I figured it's high time to start that thread natski and I have been threatening to start. This is your place to celebrate all things clothing and wardrobe related and maybe even learn a thing or two about how to shop for quality clothes, how to put together a functioning wardrobe and so forth.

So talk to me: bought any nice clothes here lately?

*(Please: no rants about the negative sociological meaning of neckties and high heels. Start your own thread for such subjects and don't hijack mine.)

I cant believe you caved MZ (Was it on special? )

Its my day off today and tomorrow, but i wont be visiting the shops- im being good!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I bought some new shirts over the weekend. I'm picky about plaids matching at seams and across the buttons, and that seams lie flat. I prefer good, sturdy cotton.
    My mom had some training with a tailor and sewed a lot of my clothes when I was growing up. So I get pretty picky about quality details like that as well. And all my allergies and such means that most synthetic materials are a problem, as is wool. So I strongly favor 100% cotton or 100% silk. Blended or lined with nylon is fine but most silk clothing is lined with polyester, which I loathe.

Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    (Was it on special? )
    Absolutely!

(Is it possible to buy clothes that aren't on sale? )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I began working again in August, and needed some newer tops and jeans. Some were bought on sale, some weren't (the joy of earning money). Combine income and big weight loss, and the economy improves.

I shopped a Woolrich outlet, and was suprised to find bargain prices! Their clothing is still well-made, and can be worn in the field.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I haven't been shopping for clothes since I got married...funny thing is, I have 3 times as much as I did at that time

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I admit I am horrible at clothes shopping. Usually women end up 'dressing me' - nothing new about that, it all started with my mother dressing me as a baby and has finally graduated to my wife buying my clothes as an adult .....it's probably all for the best as I confess I have little fashion sense and am constantly committing one fashion faux pas after another (e.g. wearing socks and sandals or matching a blue tie with a black shirt). Last year I was entrusted with the responsibility of purchasing several outfits for a friend who was down on their luck...it ended in disaster, come to find out thrift shops aren't the place to find cutting edge fashion.

For the most part I lump clothing in the same category as haircuts - an inconvenience one has to deal with. For me, the most important consideration with clothing is comfort. I like loose baggy clothes that don't constrict (I seriously hate ties with a passion rivalled only perhaps by dobopoq) and if I could get away with it I would live in sweats or dashikis.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I love to shop, but haven't done much of it post-Katrina. I don't believe in buying clothes or shoes at regular price unless I want it really bad and I know if I don't buy it now, my size won't be available. With that being said, I just recently bought a sweet pair of Isaac Mizahri platform shoes, courtesy of Target.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I have changed in the last couple years since starting my professional career. I like to hit the nice department stores (usually Marshall Field's..er...Macy's) about 3 times a year for new work clothes (shirts, ties, pants). I usually stick to solid color shirts and have the ties to the patterns. I really like the recent resurgence of thick(er) diadonal stripped ties...kind of neo-70s tie revival.

For everyday clothes, I usually perfer darker blue jeans or dockers with plain tees or sweaters in the winter/fall and summer/spring I go with simple solid tees or polos and green or khaki cargo shorts.

Though, with fall on us I think it is time to hit the new Macy's (former Marshall Fields) on States St. in the Loop. I need to cycle out some older dress shirts and ties.

BTW, at most department stores...are clothes ever not on sale?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

I've become a huge fan of Talbots. Of course, only when things are on sale or when I can get to the Talbots outlet. I bought a new pair of jeans - not the easiest thing these days - at the outlet for $14.00. That just warmed the cockles of my heart.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    BTW, at most department stores...are clothes ever not on sale?
    LOL! TRUE!
    I think it depends on what you define as 'sale'. Yes, most department stores almost always have select items where they drop their margins from 300% to, say 200%, but there are sales and then there are sales (where big dept. stores have been known to massively reduce inventories or feature loss leaders).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    In the name of simplicity and space, I have purged a bunch of clothes that I feel do not fit me or my life right now.

I am also gradually going to phase out expensive clothes I have purchased in the past and begin wearing plain, inexpensive t-shirts.

I want to be able to fit all my clothes (when they are clean) IN my dresser. Right now, I have space for them only if a good portion is in the hamper.

Time to purge and simplify for this guy!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I don't just buy clothes on sale... I buy them clearance, for the entire family. One of my favorite stores is Kohls, but most of my clothes come from Target, Sears and JC Penney. Things have changed since having my daughter. I use to buy a lot from J Crew, the Gap, the Limited, etc. But now I seem to constantly be buying my daughter clothes, as she grows out of them so fast, and I no longer get excited at the prospect of buying clothes for myself. It has become a chore, that leaves me feeling a little guilty for spending the money on myself. I know I need to change my attitude about that, or I'll turn into my mom (periodically I visit her to see her wearing clothes that I wore in high school! She rarely buys new ones for herself.)

I never thought I'd be the type of gal to buy her husband clothes. But it is so easy, cause he will only wear one type of jean (Arizona brand from Penneys) in one wash. He always has to have 7 identical pairs of jeans, so if one gets worn out, I know exactly what to buy to replace it. And as far as shirts, he'll never wear sweaters, he'll only wear plaids and solids, only in neutral colors. And he doesn't believe in spending more than $5 for a short-sleeve shirt, $10 for a long-sleeve.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Living in rural America has forced me to stop clothes shopping as a whole. People are less materialistic and into simple outfits. I wear jeans and a dress shirt to work everyday and that suffices for my office. I do tend to lay out my outfits the night before to make sure that they match and optain the approval of my wife. How childish, I know!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am usualy the best-dressed male in my department, which I owe primarily to my wife who buys most of my clothes. She also irons them every week. Yeah, I know, she is a pearl beyond price.

Before I married, my clothes were a mess - old, ragged and patched. It suited me because I was never a clothes horse and fresh from grad school I had no money and worked in a town where you could buy t-shirts and Carharts and that was about it.

We went shopping this weekend. Stuff for the kid. I bought a pair of shoes.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I can't buy much at discount stores because they have a really, really limited selection for short people. I have found jeans I can wear at Wal-Mart, and I get t-shirts there and at Target from the boys department.

I mostly wear jeans, polos, and tennis shoes to work. I have found a lot of good deals on good brands of casual clothing at the Beall's that opened here last year. Cropped pants, camp shirts, etc. It's funny; here they have nice casual clothes that I will happily wear. Where I used to live in a small town with tons of retirees, they only carried old-lady clothes. Sequined jogging suits, that kind of thing.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have a severe shopping problem. I am a brand whore and make no excuse for it. Because of that I have not stepped foot in the mall in months (well except to return something this past weekend and it took EVERYTHING I have to walk out without buying something new).
    I will buy inexpensive shirts because I tend to only wear them out a few times each, but my jeans I am very picky about and have yet to find very inexpensive ones that I like (or that are long enough). As far as work clothes and suits, I usually find a lot at Macy's or Dillards, suits I prefer Banana Republic, the pants are always long enough.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I hit up the clearance rack at J Crew and Banana republic. The better half works at Nordstrom so I get a discount there. The best place for mens clothes (at least locally) is the Nordstrom Rack. I purchased 3 dress shirts for $32. Not a bad deal at all.

We buy the kids clothes a year in advance, so we are picking up summer clothes for next year right now. Nothing beats a 99 cent pair of shorts from old navy!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I need to update my ties because I haven't bought any for about a year. Purchased a couple of pairs of Dockers slacks at Sam's Club recently and two pairs of Nautica khakis at the outlet mall in Destin (bought some other items there, too ). I also need a new pair of shoes. I'm on the hunt.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have been really good lately. I have not bought any clothes since June.

In June I bought a jacket off of sierratradingpost.com Paid $165 CDN for a $600 CDN rain jacket.

Last fun clothing purchase was a pair of japanese repro 1947 levis (sugarcanes). These jeans are short loom selvedge denim and "dry". I just washed them for the first time as they were starting to smell. They came out OK, but I should have waited a bit longer. I might have to work a deal with natski to get me a pair of imperials.

My next shopping spree will be for a new pair of running/boot around shoes. Probably a pair of vintage US made chucks or purcells.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post

Last fun clothing purchase was a pair of japanese repro 1947 levis (sugarcanes). These jeans are short loom selvedge denim and "dry". I just washed them for the first time as they were starting to smell. They came out OK, but I should have waited a bit longer. I might have to work a deal with natski to get me a pair of imperials.
    Call me stupid or blonde, but what are imperials?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    More and more of my clothing budget seems to be going towards my newly minted teenager's wardrobe My last purchase for myself was a coral colored corduroy blazer and a wrinkle resistant striped blouse from Talbot's on clearance. I paid $22 for the blazer that was normally $98 and $17 for the blouse which was normally $72. Now I am up to my eyeballs in graduate school expenses I won't be buying squat for a while. Thank goodness my mom raised me to by quality pieces and to take care of them since many of my clothes have lasted for years and still look good.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I cant remember the last clothes I bought. I've been bad lately. very bad.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I have a bit of a clothes problem in that I like looking good, but I refuse to actually spend money on clothing. I'm cheap. And that’s an odd thing considering that I think nothing of spending $25.00 an entrée on those odd evenings out, but will refuse to spend the same amount for a shirt I will have for years to come. Anyway, one clothing item I will spend the money on is ties. It’s my opinion that a man can get by with only a couple [I rotate more than a couple] of suits. But a man can never have too many good ties. If you have to dress-up on a regular basis they are a worthy investment.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 6:14 PM