Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 95

Thread: The Clothing Thread -- AKA The "Threads" Thread

  1. #26
    Cyburbian dobopoq's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Antarctica
    Posts
    1,003
    I recently got this lovely tie from a friend. I guess you could sort of call it a gag gift. It's a yellow tie with bloody razor blades attached to it. Goes great with a blue shirt - really like those primary colors.

    I've had a bright orange tie for some time that just seemed too loud to wear. Then recently, while eating like a slob, I got blueberry pie filling all over it - Now it's a psychedlic mixture of color. I got a raise the day I wore it to work. Later that night when I wore it to a bar, some ladies bought me three free drinks. I had to call the cops though cause one of them tried to take off my tie. I've got to be more cafeful. Some ties are just too sexy and make women lose control. The cop was right - I should dress more conservatively.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

  2. #27
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,587
    Well i went back on my plan on not buying clothing.

    I was in the city for a seminar tonight and well i dont get to shop in the city often and there just happened to be a pair of shoes there i liked....and i am a little bit like Jaxpra- i can be a brand whore sometimes when i have the money... so these shoes were not on special- but they are Nine West shoes, good quality well made shoes... heres a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suela02_0013_lg.jpg  
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  3. #28
    Cute shoes, natski! Have to check out the Nine West site.

    I am a shoe-aholic and the addiction is getting a little out of hand. I bought a pair of used Lilly Pulitzer sandals on eBay this spring for a song and a dance. Unfortunately I found out why - the elastic around the top of the foot is very tight. They leave ghastly marks and divets but I wear them anyway - they're Lilly's!

  4. #29
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Call me stupid or blonde, but what are imperials?
    They are an austrialian brand of jeans made from japanese denim
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  5. #30

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I have changed in the last couple years since starting my professional career. I like to hit the nice department stores (usually Marshall Field's..er...Macy's) about 3 times a year for new work clothes (shirts, ties, pants). I usually stick to solid color shirts and have the ties to the patterns. I really like the recent resurgence of thick(er) diadonal stripped ties...kind of neo-70s tie revival.

    For everyday clothes, I usually perfer darker blue jeans or dockers with plain tees or sweaters in the winter/fall and summer/spring I go with simple solid tees or polos and green or khaki cargo shorts.

    Though, with fall on us I think it is time to hit the new Macy's (former Marshall Fields) on States St. in the Loop. I need to cycle out some older dress shirts and ties.

    BTW, at most department stores...are clothes ever not on sale?

    Pretty similar to my tastes for your casual side. I hate advertising/logo tees and have no idea why anyone would want to be a walking billboard. Slogan tees-even worse.

    On "dress" clothes I tend too much to the colorful side for shirts-Luca has already dinged me for my liking for stripes and even checks. Especially as I am by no means thin, let alone skinny. My favorite brands are Banana Republic, Cafe Coton (a French clothing chain that happens to have a store in San Francisco downtown), and, a new favorite-Joseph A. Banks. Alas-probably sweatshops all , and I own no hemp.

  6. #31
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    They are an austrialian brand of jeans made from japanese denim
    Ok did a bit of research, apparently the material (raw denim) is manufactured over here- and the only brand i found was nudie denim co- is that correct?

    I cant believe you cant wash them for like 6 months!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  7. #32
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Location
    1BR, EIK, needs work
    Posts
    151

    i love ties

    Well, I have various clothing issues: hard-to-fit figure (big butt, small waist) means I have to pay to get things altered if they aren't stretchy, severe aversion to doing laundry, and a love of expensive, beautiful dresses coupled with a cheapskate streak. . . I just bought two J.Crew suits with pants and skirts on final clearance, so once they are tailored I'll be in good shape. And I should cut out the shopping, anyway.

    But what I really wanted to say is that I am utterly jealous of men wrt work wardrobes. A pressed shirt and a nice tie, and BOOM! we have a sharp-dressed man. I love tie shopping for my husband. . . all of the gorgeous colors and patterns, lots of great brocades and wide stripes these days.

    Now, I might feel differently if I had to wear a tie, I understand about the aversion to tight things around the neck, and I don't care for turtlenecks for the same reason. But I still have this fantasy that men have it easier with the work wardrobe, and more fun too, all because of ties.

  8. #33
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Ok did a bit of research, apparently the material (raw denim) is manufactured over here- and the only brand i found was nudie denim co- is that correct?

    I cant believe you cant wash them for like 6 months!
    Its not that you can't wash them for 6 months, it is that in order for the denim to contrast and look warn like "washed" jeans you don't wash them so that creases set and natural fading occurs.

    Had a pair of nudies, ended up giving them to my BIL as they were a bit too tight, they did not stretch like I was told they would. Did not wash them for about 4 months. After the wash they were way too small.

    The sugar canes I am wearing now were washed for the first time this weekend after 4 months of wear. I did soak them a few times to shrink them though. I probbaly should have waited a few more weeks and done some trail work and hiking in tehm then washed them, but I could smell them as I wore them.

    I can't believe I am talking about jeans like this.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  9. #34
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    I can't believe I am talking about jeans like this.
    Its ok to be passionate about jeans!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  10. #35
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Its ok to be passionate about jeans!
    To think 2.5 years ago I only ever wore 501's 2 sizes too big for me. Now I've worn 7's (don't wear them anymore, too much of a boot cut/flair, thinking of getting them straightened), earnest sewn(wear them on occaison, super comfy, wash is a bit much for me), nudies(contemplating another pair in the right size) and now sugar canes(really like them, should have sized down though) and am contemplating another pair of japanese denim.

    What one expects and wants from clothes can vary greatly. I was talking with a co worker about shoes yesterday, and he mentioned buying an expensive pair of shoes,which was $100 to him. I spend more on repairing/maintaining shoes in a year than that. He'd have a heart attack if I told him what I typically pay for a pair of shoes.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  11. #36
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Donk - I know what you mean about talking about the price of clothing. If I told these women I work with what I pay for jeans or shoes they would hit the roof. I think its the purse problem I have that really throws them over the edge!! I quit carrying any of my cute purses in here, they just make fun of me!!

  12. #37
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    What one expects and wants from clothes can vary greatly. I was talking with a co worker about shoes yesterday, and he mentioned buying an expensive pair of shoes,which was $100 to him. I spend more on repairing/maintaining shoes in a year than that. He'd have a heart attack if I told him what I typically pay for a pair of shoes.
    Yeah i know the feeling- most of my friends will save up and fork out a hell of a lot of money for some really good jeans or shoes, but co workers and my family would die if they knew how much i spent.

    Kinda makes me feel guilty
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  13. #38
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,587
    Well no one has posted in this thread for a while- i am posting to clear my conscience.

    A dress really caught my eye as i was walking back to the office from lunch, went in, dress was in my size, wasnt too expensive, so i bought it. Dont have a pic to post but it is kinda Audrey Hepburn Style with kinda a multi coloured material with flowers and birds on it and a cute little red belt with a bow.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  14. #39
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Well no one has posted in this thread for a while- i am posting to clear my conscience.
    I knew the car would get spent on clothes.

    Since we are confessing I'll add mine.

    Went shopping, just to look so that next month when I have the cash I could buy, and ended up buying a new sport coat. I pick it up form the tailor on thursday. He is trying to get me into a new shirt and tie too. Probably go for the tie, pass on the shirt until sale season.

    I've been being really good lately and not going to stores that tempt me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  15. #40
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    I knew the car would get spent on clothes.

    Since we are confessing I'll add mine.

    Went shopping, just to look so that next month when I have the cash I could buy, and ended up buying a new sport coat. I pick it up form the tailor on thursday. He is trying to get me into a new shirt and tie too. Probably go for the tie, pass on the shirt until sale season.

    I've been being really good lately and not going to stores that tempt me.
    Yeah i hadnt been shopping in a month- i didnt go anywhere near the shops at all, but today this dress just caught my eye and i had to get it.

    Im sure you needed the jacket, and the tie- i really didnt need the dress
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  16. #41
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Yeah i hadnt been shopping in a month- i didnt go anywhere near the shops at all, but today this dress just caught my eye and i had to get it.

    Im sure you needed the jacket, and the tie- i really didnt need the dress
    Only slightly more than you needed the dress, it would not have caught you reye unless you needed to have it.

    Yes, a jacket has been on my shopping list for a few months, just wanted to wait awhile so I could pay cash for it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  17. #42
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,654
    Blog entries
    5
    My daughter made me try on clothes when we were at the mall to buy her a winter coat. She did well on her coat....down and water repellent normally $129, got it for $80.
    She told me I had to go try on clothes now, to which of course my reaction was to exit the mall quickly. She had none of that and we went to look at clothes, I ended up buying a new suit She was slick though, having snatched a coupon out of the mail for $50 off the purchase. $125 for a two piece suit and blouse not bad, just figuring out when I am going to wear it now lol.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  18. #43
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Yes, a jacket has been on my shopping list for a few months, just wanted to wait awhile so I could pay cash for it.
    Yeah see i had been saving for the past month for some new heels, to match a dress i am wearing to a function in November and some assessories to match...i rather save up then buy too.

    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    My daughter made me try on clothes when we were at the mall to buy her a winter coat. She did well on her coat....down and water repellent normally $129, got it for $80.
    She told me I had to go try on clothes now, to which of course my reaction was to exit the mall quickly. She had none of that and we went to look at clothes, I ended up buying a new suit She was slick though, having snatched a coupon out of the mail for $50 off the purchase. $125 for a two piece suit and blouse not bad, just figuring out when I am going to wear it now lol.
    Sounds like a great shop- Im sure you will find somewhere to wear the suit, if its a classic style it will last for years!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  19. #44
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,654
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Sounds like a great shop- Im sure you will find somewhere to wear the suit, if its a classic style it will last for years!
    Yep, I made sure that it was something that wasn't uber trendy. I'm not a particularly trendy person in my opinion. I like to by well made classic clothes that will hold up over a period of years of my laundry abuse and fashion cycles.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  20. #45
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Note to self: The next time I buy white bras and black clothes, do NOT let eldest son wash them together the minute I get them home from the store, even if this involves tackling the pigheaded child.





    You guessed it: I now own an assortment of gray bras.

  21. #46
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    10,385
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    Note to self: The next time I buy white bras and black clothes, do NOT let eldest son wash them together the minute I get them home from the store, even if this involves tackling the pigheaded child.
    You guessed it: I now own an assortment of gray bras.
    At least he's willing to do the laundry, which is rather atypical for teenage males.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

  22. #47
    Cyburbian Jen's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,478
    Did he do it on purpose?

    I suppose you first discovered these items in the dryer too



  23. #48
    Cyburbian Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    4,468
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    Donk - I know what you mean about talking about the price of clothing. If I told these women I work with what I pay for jeans or shoes they would hit the roof. I think its the purse problem I have that really throws them over the edge!! I quit carrying any of my cute purses in here, they just make fun of me!!
    I'm the first to admit that I'm a sucker for expensive purses. They can make the sloppiest outfit look chic.

    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    Note to self: The next time I buy white bras
    They still make white bras?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

  24. #49
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    They still make white bras?
    Oh yahhhhhhh.

    I need a new wardrobe...don't have much in the way of soul-selling slickster-worthy duds hanging in my closet.

  25. #50
    Cyburbian Jen's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,478

    bootarama

    I need boots. I want boots, tall over the calf boots, tough boots with leather that can take the street crud and fling it back looking gleaming still. Not flats nor spikes, in distressed brown or black.

    preferably on sale...


+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 7:14 PM