Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: The Clothing Thread -- AKA The "Threads" Thread

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Went shopping last night against my wishes but did decently well. I think I am the only person in the universe that cannot manage to find something I like on sale after Christmas! My three pieces purchased were a new pair of good fitting black pants (like searching for the Holy Grail IMO), a very cute blue satin and black lace shirt that I will wear for New Year's Eve, and a denim blazer.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005

It was on special- i swear!

Ok yes we are in the middle of a heat wave here- but i saw this on special- for like $80 off the normal price- and they sold out so quickly last year so i bought it. Plus my excuse is that i know i will wear it for years! Its an Esprit one and the photo comes from their website
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trenchie.jpeg  
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Ok yes we are in the middle of a heat wave here- but i saw this on special- for like $80 off the normal price- and they sold out so quickly last year so i bought it. Plus my excuse is that i know i will wear it for years! Its an Esprit one and the photo comes from their website
    WAY cute and definately a goo dbuy no matter the season!!! I love it. I need a cute jacket like that...Espirit? I dont know if they even sell around this area anymore...

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by BKM View post
    Pretty similar to my tastes for your casual side. I hate advertising/logo tees and have no idea why anyone would want to be a walking billboard. Slogan tees-even worse.
    Ditto! Even purses - why would I want to pay 100s and 1000s of $ to advertise Coach or Louis Vuitton?! If I'm going to spend quality money, I'd rather buy a sleek bag/purse with no logos!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    WAY cute and definately a goo dbuy no matter the season!!! I love it. I need a cute jacket like that...Espirit? I dont know if they even sell around this area anymore...
    Yeah i think its pretty hot!

Its Esprit- you can actually buy online with them (not in Australia but )
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jun 2005

Yeah i have been on a shopping spree again...

Beginning of the Autumn/Winter season- time to get prepared for the chilly weather..

Fuscia Skivvy- to go with black pants or underneath a a black pinafore dress i bought the other day...

White Knitted Dress- Very 60's, cute, i can wear my skivvy under it too!

Mustard coloured knitted Vest- Stella McCartney, cost me a fortune, but its really cute.

Now i want to buy some white boots...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Anything wrong with shopping at Marshall's or TJ Maxx ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Q. Anything wrong with shopping at Marshall's or TJ Maxx ?
    Not on my end. But then, I have no problem buying $10 jeans on clearance.....Of course, none of those discount places actually carries clothes for short people, but I get a bunch of shoes at Ross.

(You'll have to wait for another opinion from a fashionista, 'cos god knows I'm not one!)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Did some shopping on my trip.

I had wanted to buy a pair of jeans, but could not justify the price for the brands I thought I was interested in.

I ended up buying a pair of Alden "Indy" boots instead. I figure I'll have them the rest of my life, so thjey are worth the expense.

I also bought a bunch of tshirts for myself and nephews.

The money I had planned on spending on clthing went to buying some very nice wines instead.

My next purchase will be a new boring navy blue suit, probably do it during summer sales season.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My haul over the last few weeks shopping for a work wardrobe:

3 pairs of pants, same style different colors-when you find some you fit you buy 'em all!
    Brown glen plaid pants that have a bit of light blue in the design that works well with the new light blue blouse I bought too.
    A springy outfit of cropped pants stylish enough to wear to the office with a satin blouse.
    Another pretty blouse that is made from embroidered lace without being over the top.
    And lets not forget the two pairs of new shoes
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Dusting this thread off because of an interesting article in the NY Times about the high priced jeans some of the Cyburbians here like to wear....LINK

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    any of you lot wear Penguin by Munsingwear clobber? Particularly the polo shirts?

if so, how much does it cost you? 50 a throw over here but considering a trip to NY and want to take advantage of the exchage rate...

Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    any of you lot wear Penguin by Munsingwear clobber? Particularly the polo shirts?

if so, how much does it cost you? 50 a throw over here but considering a trip to NY and want to take advantage of the exchage rate...
    It looks like urban outfitters has polos from US$49-59 and buttown-down short sleeves from US$69 -- 79.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am a big fan of 1MX shirts at Express for Men (have almost 20 of them now in solid colors, in all shades of the rainbow, including a few solid shades of blues, purples, reds, and greens). These are fitted shirts, so the fabric doesn't billow (I like to keep a nice military tuck). The shirts aren't tight, but you have to be in good physical shape to wear them. Prices vary from 30-50 a shirt (usually have to wait every few months for Express to have a good sale, and I buy 3-4 at a time).

Higher end dockers and clothes are always dry-cleaned (you never know when a big client/potential client might pop in or if I have to go to meeting). My clothes "look" brand new but they last forever!! Suits are altered, not off the rack. Tie collection is periodically updated.

At home: abercrombie, american eagle, aeropostale, bought on discount. Oh yeah, been cutting my own hair now for 7 years, right now it's longer/shaggy.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 14 Jun 2007 at 1:41 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Dusting this thread off because of an interesting article in the NY Times about the high priced jeans some of the Cyburbians here like to wear....LINK
    When I was in SF I went to one of the stores mentioned, and the jeans I thought I wanted were way too expensive, so I bought wine instead. Maybe on my next trip.

I do own a pair of of the sugar canes 1947 levis reproductions, they are great jeans. If levis made a similar quality product with all of the features (hidden rivets, high quality materials, made in a first world country) I'd buy them.

Quote Originally posted by harryfossetshat
    Maybe we could do a swap for Made in the UK Fred Perry. I see these shirts for around $50 CDN.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Maybe we could do a swap for Made in the UK Fred Perry. I see these shirts for around $50 CDN.
    You get them cheaper!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You get them cheaper!
    Sorry I meant the penguins are around $50,, Fred Perry is around $110-150 and it is really hard to find the made in the UK ones.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    After reading about all those expensive jeans, I feel embarrassed and inferior sitting here in a pair of Levi's 501s I pickup on sale for about $20 at JC Penneys....

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Sorry I meant the penguins are around $50,, Fred Perry is around $110-150 and it is really hard to find the made in the UK ones.
    My point (nearly) still stands, even after research!

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/FredPe...Ecru-1621.html

£49.99 = $104.72 CDN

Registered
    Mar 2004

Huh??

My point (nearly) still stands, even after research!

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/FredPe...Ecru-1621.html

49.99 = $104.72 CDN
    Ahhh....sure......$100 US (yes the dollar is falling that fast!!) for a collared tee-shirt!!! No Thanks, I'll get the same thing from TJ Maxx on a sale date (every day but Wednesday) for $11.43US including tax Sure, I'll have to live with the knowledge it was made in a sweat shop in Malaysia....but......the $88.57US that I save will buy a lot of coors to take care of that problem
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 7:14 PM