Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Alternative road reserve widths

Registered
    Oct 2002

Alternative road reserve widths

Does anyone have any references or sources I could refer to on the use of alternative road reserve widths in layout planning - i.e. moving away from standard widths prescribed by Transport Engineers / Planners to something narrower?

For example, in Cape Town we require a 10m (32 foot) road reserve, which accommodates a 5.2m (17foot) "blacktop" and 1,75m (5,7foot) surfaced sidewalks either side. Splays are generally 4,5m (14.7 foot). This results in very large areas of wasted space, and undesirable setbacks for dwellings from roads, particularly in low-cost housing projects.

I am in need of research that supports / motivates reducing these standards.

Thanks,
    Martin

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Those standards are already much narrower than current N. American practice. We've settled on 16m, 18.5m and 20m for local road right-of-ways (depending on the servicing and streetscaping elements of the road). Typical pavement width is 6-8.5m for a local road (8.5m =2x3m travel lanes and 1x2.5m parking lane).

Hopefully there are some UK are Australian/New Zealand practices more in keeping with your needs.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Reearch from here may not be useful to you but I can give you my experience.

For years we allowed the minimum road width as 9 mtrs(30 ft) but in newer master plans we prescribe a minimum of 12.2 mtrs(40 ft).The areas which have become densely built up now with 9 mtrs roads face a lot of congestion with onstreet parking and the ever increasing car ownership trend.

Earlier in peripheral areas the local village councils would approve layouts with even 6 mtrs road.
    But with cities growing bigger and faster all new areas/development have to adhere to 12.2 mtrs now. These roads have 1.5 mtrs wide sidewalks.

Our heirarchy moves like this:

12.2m
    18m ( suffices for most layouts)
    24m ( large layouts with mixed development,with multiple family dwellings/apartments need to provide these and they function as collector roads within the larger plan)

So reduction in the roads width is definitely a No-No here.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Moderator note:

Metric Converter for dumb Americans.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    In our practice on pocket developments, for typical neighborhood roads, we use 10m road ROW for blocks not exceeding 250 m in length. This can accommodate 2 vehicles passing in opposite directions

Blocks exceeding 250m but not more than 400m shall be provided with a 4m alley at mid-length. It has a 2-lane carriageway of 6m including curbs & gutters. Both sides are provided with sidewalk and planting strip 1.20m & 0.80m respectively.

For blocks not to exceed 60m, we use 8.0m ROW. It has 6m carriageway including curbs & gutters, Both sides are provided with sidewalk and planting strip 0.60m & 0.40m respectively.Collector roads are 12m ROW for areas below 15 hectares and 15m, 18m & 22m for 15 hectares and above.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Our state Department of Transportation standards for typical development are:

Residential streets with no curb (kerb) or gutter
    Local street: 13.7m right-of-way (reserve) and 5.5m pavement (blacktop)
    Collector street: 15.2m right-of-way and 6.1m pavement

Residential streets with curb and gutter
    Local street: 12.2m right-of-way and 6.7m pavement without gutter width
    Collector street: 15.2m right-of-way and 10.4m pavement with gutter width

There are also alternative standards for "traditional neighborhood development:"
    Alley: 6.1m/3.7m
    Lane: 12.2m/5.5m
    Street: 15.2m/8.5m

Registered
    Aug 2005
    [QUOTE=

I am in need of research that supports / motivates reducing these standards.

[/QUOTE]

I would also like to know of some reaserch the favors the reducing of ROW (reserve) standards. Currently my sububan community requires a minimum of a 60ft ROW/reserve (18m). We are thinking of allowing a minimum of 40 or 46 ft (12 or 14m) that would help facilitate redevlopment along traditional neighborhood design principals in certain neighborhoods. The community would still reserve the right to require more ROW At this point we think the positives outweigh any of the negatives.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mique28 View post
    I would also like to know of some reaserch the favors the reducing of ROW (reserve) standards.
    I don't know if you really need research. It is all really a matter of taste. There are plenty of cities that function perfectly well with 10-18 ft pavement widths and 20-28 ft ROW (just enough for sidewalks).

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    I don't know if you really need research. It is all really a matter of taste. There are plenty of cities that function perfectly well with 10-18 ft pavement widths and 20-28 ft ROW (just enough for sidewalks).
    I agree with you fully, unfortunately our dear engineering colleagues don't.

Thanks for all the replies - I must say I am astounded at the large road reserves you require.

I have found one interesting article presented at this year's Planning Africa conference that challenges these road reserve widths. If you Private message me contact details I can email it to anyone that is interested.

Happy planning....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Terraplan View post
    Thanks for all the replies - I must say I am astounded at the large road reserves you require.
    Well, we are, unfortunately, the land of the automobile. Our street life and public space suffer for it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Federal Reserve Fiscal Impact Tool
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 2:19 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jan 2012, 2:03 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Dec 2010, 5:42 PM
  4. Subdivision Spite (aka reserve) strips
    Land Use and Zoning