Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sharing a Moment

Registered
    Feb 2004

Sharing a Moment

I was recently listening to that James Blunt song 'You're Beautiful' where there's that line in the lyrics -
    Yeah, she caught my eye,
    As we walked on by.
    She could see from my face that I was,
    Flying high,
    And I don't think that I'll see her again,
    But we shared a moment that will last till the end.
    When I heard this I was reminded of a 'moment' I had 22 years ago where I was sitting in the passenger seat travelling to North Carolina and happened to be passing through Huntington, WV. A traffic light just turned green, we started moving and I looked to my right and I saw this girl who was about my age. Our eyes instantly locked and we were absolutely smitten. We stared at each other 'connected' for a really long time - it was probably nearly five or six seconds until the car turned the corner. And then I never saw her again. She is, however, seared into my memory for life - I can describe her appearances, her hair, what she was wearing down to the minutest detail decades later and I'll bet she could say the same about me, and yet we only saw each other for a few seconds and never so much as uttered a word.

I wonder if this is an example of what people refer to as 'love at first sight'? Some categorize this sort of thing as 'lust at first sight', but I disagree - at least in my own case I certainly don't believe lust was what I experienced.

Hang on a second while I put this foil hat on...there that's better. The experience I refer to felt to me rather more like a RE-connection - as if I'd somehow known this woman intimately for a lifetime and was seeing her again after a long absence, if that makes any sense.....I think I can take it off now the Zarkon psychic probe vessel has passed.

Has anyone else experienced something like this - is this kind of occurrance that unusual? Does anyone believe that love could possibly be an appropriate description for an emotion two people experience who have seen each other for only a couple seconds?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Only once - the woman I saw nearly stopped my heart, and eventually became my wife.

Her reaction wasn't quite the same . . .

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Hang on a second while I put this foil hat on...there that's better. The experience I refer to felt to me rather more like a RE-connection - as if I'd somehow known this woman intimately for a lifetime and was seeing her again after a long absence, if that makes any sense.....I think I can take it off now the Zarkon psychic probe vessel has passed.
    I actually believe this occurs all the time. Tin foil hats are for the black helicopters so you needn't don one in this case.

I think this has happened to me, but obviously not to this extent as I would remember a lot more.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    This goes back almost exactly 20 years. My friend and I were traveling. He was going to see the West. I was going along as far as Montana, intent on moving (which I did).

We were in the Black Hills. We met this young woman at a trailhead. We chatted and it was apparent right off we had a lot in common (both newspaper reporters) and she was into me. Unfortunately she too was traveling - heading to a job in California.

I remember those ten minutes or so. I remember her face and her figure. I remember the way her hair looked and the way she looked at me that made me feel warm. I remember her voice and the way her eyes lit up when she spoke. I remember most that she touched my arm and it was like a jolt of electricity went through my body and I felt her touch long after.

Unfortunately she was keeping a friend waiting and had to go.

As she walked away, my friend said ,"Dude, she really liked you!"

By the next day I couldn't remember her name. I do remember her, though.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Never had a "love at first sight" moment. But I once was sitting in a vehicle after a long day of work and saw this woman sitting in her car waiting for a light to change. She had her head in her hands and a look of utter woe on her face. I mimicked the way she was looking and for no particular rason she looked around and saw me mimicking her. And she smiled.

I like to think I made someone's bad day disappear. I think that I'd recognize her and she me if we ran intoeach other to this day.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I love that song as it talks about meeting on a subway...here's my hour long moment.

I was in NYC looking at graduate schools and on a free early evening I decided to go downtown to the American Girl store and buy the doll my daughter had been yearning after for quite some time. After braving the cold and the wind I arrived to find it had closed early for a charity benefit.

Feeling a bit dejected I made the trek back up to the small hotel I was staying at in Morningside Heights. I got onto a subway and it was pretty full and standing room only. I was standing in the middle somewhat near the door with one hand grasping a pole for balance. An old man was standing in front of me facing me but there was a nice looking well dressed man standing behind the old man. He happened to be staring intently at my hand grasping the pole.

The old man got off at a stop and then the handsome man and I were face to face and we keep exchanging glances and smiles for a few stops. My stop came up and I got off and it was his stop too so he was climbing up the stairs behind be with the herd of other commuters. We get up to the street level and the wind was blowing so hard it made it hard to get my umbrella open. I finally get it open and I hear someone say something behind me. I turn around and step a little closer and ask "What?" Handsome man says, "You know you look familiar." I smile and explain I was from out of state so I probably was not familiar at all. He nods his head towards the little tavern on the corner and says "Let's get out of the cold."

I don't know why I followed, but I felt safe since it was a public space and right around the corner. We had a fascinating conversation about what I was doing in NY and that he was a corporate attorney and was originally from Trinidad and life in general. After an hour and two drinks and engaging conversation to warm up the insides we parted ways. I flew home the next day and I'm quite certain he is still a lawyer and riding the subway.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Not a love at first sight moment, but i met a belgium guy on a tour of the Northern Territory i did, and i knew from the moment i saw him and spoke to him that we would connect.

We still keep in regular contact with each other, i enjoy talking to him- so much fun!

No "moments" with any HTG's- although before i got a work car, on reflection now, i do believe i had a moment with the new HTG- but alas it wasnt to be!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Ahh the joy of “Moments” and the connection between two people even if it only lasts a second or two. I think that people have them all the time, but they don’t realize it mainly because we are too caught up in the important things in life, such as waiting in line at the store.

Needless to say, I have been there a time or two.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I can't say I've ever had a "moment" but there were a few times in college when I'd pass a guy on campus, walking the opposite direction, and we'd lock eyes and smile, from quite a distance apart, and then say "hi" as we passed. One particular time the feeling was pretty intense, and I thought to myself that he may be the guy for me, and I wished I had the nerve to strike up a conversation. Now, years later, I remember the feeling but I don't remember what the guy actually looked like.

It wasn't love at first sight with my husband. It was more like "interest at first sight". But after dating for only about a month I found myself staring at him and a little voice in my head said "this is the guy you're going to marry", and 3 1/2 years later, I did.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    I was sitting on the bus in a window seat on a summer afternoon in 1990, I was 16. As my bus stopped at a red light I looked out the open window into the VW bus in the next lane and right into the eyes of a tan, shirtless gorgeous young man with wavy shoulder-length hair. The sun was streaming through the windows of the car, and he was backlit. His sterio was blasting "in a white room, with black curtains. . ." I was kinda drowsy from the heat, and it seemed like we stared at each other for at least a minute, but it must have been less than that. I can still see his smooth, wiry arms turning the steering wheel as he turned left when the light changed.

That was lust at first sight.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sort of. But I wasn’t ready. And it was raining. Had to get to my pickup before I got soaked.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AIB Maister - Living In the Moment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Dec 2004, 1:52 AM
  3. That AHA! moment
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 9