Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What does your city/company mean to you?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

What does your city/company mean to you?

I admire the way that Maister truly loves the City that we work for. He grew up in the area, was on one of the boards, and now works in a very thankless job, but he is where he wants to be in life. I think that it is phenomenal when people can find that point in their lives.

Don’t get me wrong, for where I am at in my life, I am very happy with where I am in life, but they know that I don’t want to stay working code enforcement for the rest of my live, however with future retirements in the next few years, positions might open up and I could stay there, but move up in the department.

I also know of a few people (some whom are members on this site) who truly love where they work and are passionate about it. They are not there to make a quick buck or to use it as a stepping stone to another job, but because they believe in the work that their company does.

Are you one of those people, if so, what is it about your city or firm that you love so much? Why is that “the place” for you?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I enjoy the profession but I’m a mercenary planner. No single place ties me down. I do my job, they pay me, both parties benefit. When the grass is greener elsewhere, I move on. Done it before and I’ll do it again.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I enjoy the profession but I’m a mercenary planner. No single place ties me down. I do my job, they pay me, both parties benefit. When the grass is greener elsewhere, I move on. Done it before and I’ll do it again.

I have the same sentiment. I really enjoyed the last place I worked- and felt a real connection to the community. But the inner-mercenary got the best of me and I moved on. I know I will do so again.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well, I'm back working in my old college stomping grounds, so this place has a very special place in my heart and is full of good (though some somewhat blurry ) memories. I'm very happy where I'm at because I can hop around to different areas of planning and the city I'm in is pretty aggressive with their planning efforts. I can always find something to peak my interest, and as long as that continues to occur I'll be a happy camper. It's the perfect mix of comfort and challenge in an area with such significant & pronounced environmental, growth and socioeconomic issues that I can really see clear purpose to my work.

I like my boss and everyone on the staff, and City Hall in general has a very positive, lighthearted attitude.

Ever since I left town after graduating I knew I wanted to come back. I just feel like I belong here... no particular single reason though... it just feels right.

As far as I'm concerned I could work here 20 years and never burnout or get bored.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Look at my post count.
    Look at my rantings about my feelings toward bureaucratic development review.

That should be enough for you, Will there ever be a rainbow?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I really love where I am. It's the next county over from where I grew up, but of course so much has changed over the years. My job is fun, we're doing something positive (planning and building trails), and I have wonderful co-workers. But I'm a realist. This job will peter out in a few years. And I've never had a problem moving somewhere new. I guess I'll just say I do have strong attachments here, but I also did in my previous job/place of residence, and I left that when the time came.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I love the city that I work for. It is a beautiful city, there is a lot of great history here, a lot of great development and a lot of great redevelopment. I love the people in this community, they are very active in both a positive and sometimes negative manner, but the job is always exciting and the job is ever changing. I have been here 6 years, the longest I have stayed in one city and rarely is there a day I dread coming to my office. Of course there is projects I dread or specific things I don't like but overall I am very happy and content. I do not see myself relocating out of the STL metro area in the next 18 years and am not sure there is another city I would be happier working for. That said, as a single mom, if the opportunity for an increase in salary may be hard to pass up....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am lucky that I work in the city I want to live in and raise my family. It is a great little city. It lacks only one thing (something that is important to me - a river). Otherwise it is home. Not crowded. Quiet. Nice neighborhoods. Good location (about equal distance btween Yellowstone and Glacier) Steeped in history.

Center of local, county, state and federal government, and as a consequence probably more educated people per capita than other parts of the state. Missoula also has a high percentage of educated people - though a lot of them work in menial jobs becuase they like the area but can't find jobs equal to their education.

I've moved here three times. And in just a few days I will mark my 20th anniversary in Montana (not counting that 19 months in Alaska - I want to forget.)
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Though I'm only interning, the municipality I work for really does mean a lot to me. I truly care about the character of the community as I have grown up in the area and have seen it change and evolve. Even though it's changing rapidly, I still want it to remain a special place and retain that special character. I also still want to be able to know and identify with the people in my community. I just don't want it to become another run-of-the-mill, generic, gentrified suburb like the rest of 'em. It should be a place that people look at and say, "hey, that town's doing something right." Whether it's providing residents with diverse shopping, entertainment, and employment options, or maintaining the character of our parks and trails, to having an array of housing that blends well, to maintaining well-oiled infrastructure, to making sure a strong bond between residents and village officials previals. I really could picture working here the rest of my life. Even if I don't, I still want to stay in the area. It really is a special place to me and means a lot to me, and I take pride in everything I do that ensures that it remains that way even as the community grows.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake
    No single place ties me down. I do my job, they pay me, both parties benefit. When the grass is greener elsewhere, I move on. Done it before and I’ll do it again.
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    the inner-mercenary got the best of me and I moved on. I know I will do so again.
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    This job will peter out in a few years. And I've never had a problem moving somewhere new.
    I recall hearing sentiments like these before...

Ah, the life of a gunfighter....answering to no one, accepting no insults, no one to tie you down. I'm sure it has its appeal.

Ah, but remember Yul Brynner's final words in that movie “The old man was right, only the farmers won. We lost. We'll always lose.”
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I really enjoy my job, though I work for a non-profit and not the city. I have lots of freedom to develop unorthodox programs (kids art camp, community gardens, community parades/development events, public art program, public space reclamation). We are actually an arts center, but have gotten more involved in planning issues over the years, so I get to blend my Folklore and Planning degrees rather nicely. The Village of Arts and Humanities in Philadelphia (where I grew up) is a big source of inspiration for me.

Albuquerque as a city, I vascillate between loving and hating. We've got sprawl problems out the wazoo (I call it the one story city because everything goes out, and very little goes up), bad (but improving) public transportation, and a less than thriving economy. Housing is emerging as a big problem for many because the prices have escalated, but income has not. We (my family) are renting a house downtown which has greatly improved our quality of life. I can ride my bike to work and my son to school, walk to the gorcery store and we live across the street from a park. But the likliehood of owning a house in this area is extremely slim. We have been actively looking for more than a year...

So, we do a lot of dreaming about moving (we've developed a fascination with Pittsburgh of late), but also of owning a home here and settling in for the long haul. We've been here 8 years so far. It all depends on the mood of the day. Today, I would like to stay...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Before I moved to Maine, I shared in RJ's attitude - when you live in a major metropolitan area you have the luxury of town-hopping - a few years or so, you wanna higher postion or more pay, just wait, something will come by - I never wanted to live in the town I worked for, I always felt it was better for me to be arms length from the projects and the issues

but now that I am up here, on an island, no less, for me to continue with this attitude would be hazardous to my family and my marriage

so I have committed myself to the Town - it's quirky and chaotic, but it's also a Town that's ready to try new things in planning and I am beginning to earn their trust* so I can push them a little in this comp plan I am working on - people like it that I live here too (though work questions in the grocery store, on the soccer field and at the book club get a little nuts when I'm not into it)

*and, when you know you are somewhere for the long haul, slowly earned trust lasts longer and it's really the New England way, right Lee?

I also have a great mix of other perks, I have freedom to come and go when I need to - I have a great relationship with my Town Manager as well as the other department heads (DPW and Police are my personal friends now) and if I learned anything in the last 20 years of work, this is truly the bottom line, your boss and your peers - people and committees come and go

It's not perfect, everyone knows my management problems with one of my staff members and the crazy make up of the office, and I do get overhwelmed with the workload at times

but it's a good gig, so yeah, I am very dedicated and loyal at this time in my life to this town

Registered
    Nov 2005
    They pay me, I work hard, everyone benefits. Say no more!
    Satellite City Enabler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    They pay me, I work hard, everyone benefits. Say no more!
    What Plan-it said.
    Additional if you stick around long enough as in my case (15 yrs.) I get a 5th week of vacation. and a job title of Senior Planner.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

I love my job. I love what I get to do for the City however the City is not great yet. I think it has potential to be awesome! One day it will be there. I think our planning efforts are taking it in the right direction.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I absolutely love my job. It's crazy at times and quite stressful, but it's the best job I've ever had.

The staff at my workplace are great, with very few 'dead weights'. The administration is proactive and the populace, while quite a bit on the NIMBY side, cares a lot about their community.

It's hands down one of the best cities in Alberta, and is recognized as so throughout the province.

Barring any really bizarre administration changes or crazy elected officials, I don't plan to change jobs for as long as I stay here in Edmonton (which I foresee being around 10 years). Plus, the 30% pay increase over the last year (with another 7.5% minimum in the next six months) is a good indication that they pay you what you are worth, which is a rare thing in city government. They also put a lot of effort to ensure that you grow career-wise, especially in providing training opportunities and access to conferences.

I feel like I'm a valued employee, and Council lets us know that we do a good job and that they really appreciate the effort that is put into everything we do. It really is a special place, and I feel really lucky to be there.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm justing visiting. Yep

Not sure where I'll be in the next 5 years. Who knows.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    I'm justing visiting. Yep

Not sure where I'll be in the next 5 years. Who knows.
    After Thursday's appeal hearing, maybe we should both get the frock outta here. That was exhausting. The Man is talking about starting a consluting firm. Set our own work hours and roll in the money. Steal 'em blind. We could do it.

We'll need to come up with a real cool name. Not like your football team name either.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I condsider it a privledge to work for the people of my area of concern. I grew up here, I've lived through a lot of turmoil, and I am glad to see things moving in the right direction (in spite of losing a tremendous number of manufacturing jobs over the last few years).

If I could not plan for Detroit, I would not even be a planner.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    After Thursday's appeal hearing, maybe we should both get the frock outta here. That was exhausting. The Man is talking about starting a consluting firm. Set our own work hours and roll in the money. Steal 'em blind. We could do it.

We'll need to come up with a real cool name. Not like your football team name either.
    Excuse me. Have either of you worked in the private sector???? Kiss those late afternoons by the pool good-bye. You are looking at a 60 hour week just to get by.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We should have a contest (or a poll, maisteeeee) to pick a name for the private sector consultants from thy panhandle.....

Tuna's-R-Us Planning Corp., Ltd
    Snake & Shaking Tuna Planners, LLC
    Panhandle Pool Cleaning & Site Planning, Inc.
    Big BM Development Consultants, Inc.
    McDark Side, LLC

I am sure there are others.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    The area i work in atm is ok, but i dont work there so much for the place, but i work there as my boss is awesome and i learn a lot from working there. I wont work there forever- and i dont want to.

Still havent decided what is my ideal place to work, i have plenty of time to decide/find it! I just want to learn more before that.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I also know of a few people (some whom are members on this site) who truly love where they work and are passionate about it. They are not there to make a quick buck or to use it as a stepping stone to another job, but because they believe in the work that their company does.

Are you one of those people, if so, what is it about your city or firm that you love so much? Why is that “the place” for you?
    The company that I work (fairly large, privately owned, "dark side" engineering and planning firm) for is great. But, I'm bored to tears with what I'm doing - seems like I've been working on the same project over and over for 5+ years - and my boss is a jerk (to put it mildly). So, I'm starting to look around for another job. I like my company enough that I looked into options for staying with them, but there's no real solution that wouldn't involve a transfer to somewhere that both Mrs. Bubba and I wouldn't want to move (for various reasons). I'm comfortable enough with metro Atlanta as "the place" for me for now - I've been here for 17 or so years and it's where most of the jobs in my specialized field are located in Georgia - I just need to find a different employer (or convince my current company to open a Savannah office ).

Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    Excuse me. Have either of you worked in the private sector???? Kiss those late afternoons by the pool good-bye. You are looking at a 60 hour week just to get by.
    Nah - I've been in the private sector for about seven years, and I rarely work more than 40 hours a week. Then again, I'm on the environmental side of transportation planning, not city/urban/regional planning.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Writing to the company
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Jul 2012, 1:27 PM
  2. The Company Town
    Book Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Sep 2010, 10:53 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 May 2007, 12:32 PM