Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ground Floor Area

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Ground Floor Area

My community ordinance establishes a minimum ground floor area of 840 square feet. I have a resident who is interested in constructing a strucure which is 500 square feet with an accompanying enclosed porch which will bring the building up to 900 square feet. Does your zoning ordinance include space such as porches (uninhabitable) as part of the ground floor coverage? I am concerned over the small size of this inhabitable structure and the fact that nearly 50% of the structure will be composed of simple porches. I don't feel the porch should be included into the minimum floor area for a residential unit.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jringel View post
    My community ordinance establishes a minimum ground floor area of 840 square feet. I have a resident who is interested in constructing a strucure which is 500 square feet with an accompanying enclosed porch which will bring the building up to 900 square feet. Does your zoning ordinance include space such as porches (uninhabitable) as part of the ground floor coverage?...
    Several of our communities do consider enclosed porches to be part of the footprint, and thus the min ground floor area. But 500' seems ridiculously small, and I would also be worried. Does your municipality allow mobile homes? If so, it would be a similar issue, so I doubt you could win the arguement against the porch (unless your zoning specifies a foundation).
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Dec 2010, 7:26 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Jan 2007, 8:52 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Mar 2006, 8:00 PM
  4. Minimum Floor Area Requirements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Jul 2005, 12:31 PM