Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community Development Careers in New Orleans?

Registered
    Sep 2006

Community Development Careers in New Orleans?

I am currently pursuing a Masters in Urban Studies, but have been considering switching to a M. in Urban and Regional Planning program with a concentration in Community and Economic development.

I live in New Orleans and staying in the city is a very high priority for me. It might sound like an stupid question, but does anyone know what the job prospects will be like in New Orleans in the next few years in Community/Economic Development? I have done a cursory search of jobs currently available in the area, and there don't seem to be very many. This was surprising to me - it seems to me that for obvious reasons all types of planning and development would be exploding in the region right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Much of New Orleans' city staff has been laid off, as the flooding has decimated city revenue streams. It will be a long time before they get back up to speed. Private firms are getting most of the grant-funded work.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2006
    From what I understand the City Planning Commission basically no longer exists, and any private work being done is by out-of-state firms and planners.

Assuming it will take me a few years to complete my degree, would it be a smart "gamble" to assume there will be more local jobs available in the future?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I only worked as a planner in N.O. for a year, but imo the future of planning in that area isn't good. The mayor has a very poor view of planning, and firms only get irregular contract work based on typical La. criteria (who contributed to whose campaign, etc.) You may get lucky and get one of the few jobs there, but it's a pretty unfulfilling place to work as a planner. If you really want to work in Econ Dev, I'd make tentative plans that you'll have to relocate.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The reality of careers in economic development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Mar 2011, 6:04 PM
  2. Careers in urban development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 4:04 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 11:10 PM