Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interview is tomorrow

Registered
    Oct 2005

Interview is tomorrow

I have an interview tomorrow for a planning gig that I really want to get. The job is in the private sector, they do everything planning, architecture, construction, etc. I currently work in the private sector (mainly project management and consulting). I could use all the help that I can get.

Here are my questions: What's the question(s) you've been asked that you weren't expecting and how did you handle it? And what are some good questions to ask your interviewers?

Quote Originally posted by high density View post
    I have an interview tomorrow for a planning gig that I really want to get. The job is in the private sector, they do everything planning, architecture, construction, etc. I currently work in the private sector (mainly project management and consulting). I could use all the help that I can get.

Here are my questions: What's the question(s) you've been asked that you weren't expecting and how did you handle it? And what are some good questions to ask your interviewers?
    Having 2 (public sector) interviews this year myself, I'd say make sure you are prepared for the in-situ questions like "What would you do if........." questions. Also, sharpen up on the projects you have listed on your resume and recent (major) projects you have worked on.
    Ask questions like, "What would a typical day consist of?", "How many hours/week would be expected of the position?" and "When will you expect to make a decision?" it is often overlooked by the employer, especially if they are impressed by your interview (so that is a good sign).
    Stay away from salary/benefit questions since this is a first interview, unless they push those issues. DO NOT COMMIT until the salary/benefits are weighed out on your end. Have a ballpark figure in mind and always ask for the upper end -if they are forward enough to ask - you can always backpedal.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    This question is always be there in an interview? "tell me about yourself." Answer in a polite manner, maintain self-confidence (without bragging), make sure all informations you say will be consistent in your resume. Maintain eye contact to the interviewer. Observe his body language.

"tell me a situation where you are involved in a corporate activity such as goal-setting."-Describe your role in that activity, how did you contributed, etc. You can also cite an example like reducing your operating cost in the budget because of your initiatives.

If it's your time to ask question, you can ask what is the long-term vision of the company. This will give impression to them that you are interested for the job. If the interviewer did not discuss about the company, you can ask them to explain to you about their company.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Vacation Starts Tomorrow!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Oct 2011, 10:38 PM
  2. Tomorrow is 08-08-08
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Aug 2008, 5:21 PM
  3. Interview for a planning technician tomorrow
    Career Development and Advice