Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: tough mudder or other obstacle course

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

tough mudder or other obstacle course

This morning I signed up for a tough mudder course in Plymouth WI next fall with a group of my high school friends. I found a bunch of training videos on You Tube and this next 11 months will be very interesting.

Has anyone done one of these obstacle course type competitions?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I ran one back in '97.

In all seriousness...

I wont run a Tough Mudder (or similar course) because I don't like how expensive they are and I have heard too many truly horrible stories (many of them first-hand) about participants getting infections and serious injuries.

I have a few friends who have run with some good experiences though and one thing to keep in mind before you head into is that you will not be running fast. No matter how fast of a runner you might be, how good of shape you might be in, or how much you trained. The organizers sell A LOT of entries so even with the multiple starting waves, the obstacles can get very congested very quickly. If you go into the race expecting this, you will get less frustrated and have more fun. Also, if it isn't too late, you and your friends should sign up for the absolute earliest starting wave that you can.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

I wont run a Tough Mudder (or similar course) because I don't like how expensive they are and I have heard too many truly horrible stories (many of them first-hand) about participants getting infections and serious injuries.

I have a few friends who have run with some good experiences though and one thing to keep in mind before you head into is that you will not be running fast. No matter how fast of a runner you might be, how good of shape you might be in, or how much you trained. The organizers sell A LOT of entries so even with the multiple starting waves, the obstacles can get very congested very quickly. If you go into the race expecting this, you will get less frustrated and have more fun. Also, if it isn't too late, you and your friends should sign up for the absolute earliest starting wave that you can.
    I am not sure if it is the earliest, but it is a Saturday morning start. A buddy of mine has done 2 of them, and that was the time he suggested (and we got) so we don't get backed up as much at the obstacles. We all decided to run it as a team, and one of the guys on the team is quite a bit overweight. He said this, along with a bit of a group challenge that if he doesn't complete the course, he pays us back our entry fees, is the incentive he needs to get back into shape. Even with that, I don't think we will be running at top speed.

The buddy who has done it a few times said that it is more about having fun, than going fast.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Sorry, too old now and have a bum knee as it is.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I ran in the "Run for Your Lives" zombie obstacle course race and it was great fun, but mostly because of the zombies. I would do that one again, but I doubt I'd do a non-zombie obstacle course, I just don't want to slither under electrified wires and jump into icy water badly enough. But, it would be a great feeling of accomplishment to actually finish the Tough Mudder.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    You didn't run a Tough Mudder event unless you post 3,000 pictures of it and brag about it to everyone you know.

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm intrigued at the idea, but things like the Mudder are pretty expensive. I'd rather get a park permit and go trail run any day.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Is your Sheriff this tough?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 05 Aug 2005, 2:52 PM
  2. Probably a pretty tough GTC
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 31 May 2005, 5:31 PM
  3. Tough as.... ah....nails?
    Friday Afternoon Club