Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Affordable commercial space

Registered
    Oct 2005

Affordable commercial space

I'm investigating city implementation or incentivization of affordable retail and service uses in redeveloping areas, as a means to keep some of the smaller businesses and encourage those users that would otherwise be forced to go further out to locate in the area.

Does anyone have any suggestions of resources or places that have managed to keep these users around without too much public expenditure?

Registered
    Sep 2006

Check out Newport, KY and Covington, KY

Hi. I'm new here so I hope this makes it through.

Newport KY. a small town on the Ohio River across from Cincinatti has done a pretty remarkable job of turning around its urban core. I grew up there and moved away as a kid but returned every year up until 2001. Newport used to be pretty gritty with reputation for corruption, illegal gambling and prostitution (things now being used as a marketing tool!).

They've revived their downtown small business core and are now in the process of furthering their success by encouraging owners to re-hab the upper floors and change them from storage to living space, which is what they were before productive flight.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    If you can create deep lots, class A prime space can locate on the major street frontage, with class B spaces available on the back streets.

The Newport example can help with "affordable" retail space where the building is owned by the proprietor: the apartment rent can subsidize the business operating costs.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Retail incubation has not gained the same popularity as industrial, but there are examples of it. You might try googling the term. I am a big fan of markets as a way to provide cheap retail space that is also festive. It is not uncommon for people who begin their business in a marketplace to eventually move into regular space when they have built up the capital.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 May 2012, 2:48 PM
  2. Commercial park/green space?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 10:45 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 4:46 PM
  4. Affordable Conformity