Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Suburban transit hubs?

Registered
    May 1997

Suburban transit hubs?

Does anybody out there have experience with building/operating a multi-modal hub in a suburban setting. This one woudl be commuters (park-and-ride component), ped, bike, bus. No rails. I am interested in area required, costs, etc. Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis View post
    Does anybody out there have experience with building/operating a multi-modal hub in a suburban setting. This one woudl be commuters (park-and-ride component), ped, bike, bus. No rails. I am interested in area required, costs, etc. Thanks!
    Have you checked out: http://www.nh.gov/dot/nhrideshare/p5.htm and http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/transit/tod/projects.stm

Try calling NH DOT and King County Metro.

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    I BELEIVE that Maple Grove, MN has a set up like that. At least it's called a Transit Station and there's no rails that run up that way

Registered
    Apr 2003
    So is this a park&ride? a transfer center? kiss&ride? neighborhood transit station? or a transit center for a suburban downtown?

i've watched a few of them get built but i wasn't directly involved in the process. I can get you a few pics if you need them but really they're all different. The context and location are the most important aspects.

most of the transfer centers or sort of "suburban downtown" stations that i know of revolve around a rail station.

There are plenty of bus park&rides that are not bike or ped friendly in the slightest
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    most of the transfer centers or sort of "suburban downtown" stations that i know of revolve around a rail station.

There are plenty of bus park&rides that are not bike or ped friendly in the slightest
    That's why I recommended King County Metro. The Seattle area has done a lot with suburban transit centers, most of which do not have rail service.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    That's why I recommended King County Metro. The Seattle area has done a lot with suburban transit centers, most of which do not have rail service.
    His request is ambigous. He tells us that it's multi-modal and there's a park&ride component.

How many bus routes?
    Where do they go?
    Express service? Local?
    How many busses per day?
    How many riders currently?
    Are many riders expected to transfer?
    Will there be long waits for these transferees?
    How much parking is expected for the park/ride component?
    How many people live within walking distance? biking distance?
    What other land uses are nearby?
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    His request is ambigous. He tells us that it's multi-modal and there's a park&ride component.
    Agreed, but Metro in Seattle operates several different types of "suburban transit hubs," including all that you describe. SoundTransit is also a good resource.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis View post
    How big of a town are we talking about doing this for, since I am looking at the same issue for a county in North Florida that is looking to expand its bus service to the unincorporated areas.
    It's not me

Registered
    Aug 2006

Renton for non-rail

Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Have you checked out: http://www.nh.gov/dot/nhrideshare/p5.htm and http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/transit/tod/projects.stm

Try calling NH DOT and King County Metro.
    Renton is an excellent example of TOD without rail. They have an abundance of multifamily residential development, and a little bit of new retail/restaurant space. Like many South King County cities with 'historic downtowns', Renton struggles with convincing existing business owners to extending their operating hours into the evening. That's changing slowly.

A lion's share of south King County regional (and local) bus service has been relocated to the commuter rail stations in both Auburn and Kent - making it multimodal, but not fitting the desired parameters. Given the commuter-driven nature of the transit service for those cities, the TOD has been light on residential to this point. But that's also changing slowly.
    "That guy handles the puck like a cow handles a gun!" - Mike Lange

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2013, 11:57 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Feb 2013, 9:54 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 11:34 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 3:15 PM