Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh pics(broadband rec.)

Registered
    Apr 2003

Pittsburgh pics(broadband rec.)

We went out to Pittsburgh for an extended Memorial Day weekend. It was an hour flight from Philadelphia. We took the bus downtown, which was easy enough, and the price was right, but they definitely need a bigger bus on that route. That bus/van hybrid they run was not cutting it.

our second night consisted of fireworks after the Pirates game

I can't remember the name of this bridge but after the games it's closed to traffic. The cops at the other end give the all clear sign and the crowd takes off. We couldn't figure out where everyone was going because we had figured out on our first day that hardly anyone lives downtown. It turns out that most of them were headed for the train or bus and some were headed for parking garages.

here's that same bridge during the day, this time looking towards the CBD rather than away from it.

This felt more like it belonged in colonial Philly or Boston. Maybe this is what Pittsburgh looked like before oil and steel?

This is the Amtrak station which was across the street from our hotel. Beautiful building but the station is closed for most of the day. We couldn't figure out what was above it.

Downtown was full of neglected back alleys like this one. I wonder how many "New York movies" were shot back here. I know that Philly movie "10th & Wolf", the Donnie Brasco sequel that just came out, was shot entirely in Pittsburgh.

pressure wash this thing already. This is, hands down, the filthiest bldg. (a church no less) that i've ever seen

The Wood St. Station of the "T"

Sorry DC but i think i have a new favorite subway. Wood St. Station again.

the mezzanine level. Look how shiny those floors are!

The South Side.

The uber-cheesy Station Square.

One of the two(?) original buildings in the Station Square complex.

The rest of it looks like this.

What is it with this state and illegal parking and double-parking. We stopped and stared, slack-jawed for 5 minutes before snapping this one

Broad St. in South Philly. Yes, that car in the center turn lane is parked and they're parked like that for 2 miles from Oregon Ave. all the way up to Washington Ave.

after a few beers i really could've used this thing but it wasn't working.

The Southside Works. It wasn't anything amazing but it felt right for Pittsburgh. It worked and when it's finished and gets 10 years of weather on it i'm sure it will feel even more right.

This threw us off a little. Cheesecake Factory? That and the kids playing in a fountain, in their bathing suits, in a shopping center at 9:30pm

A church in Bloomfield. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and Alabama in the middle. We just call it Pennsyltucky.

The incline

getting into the layers of buildings that make up the downtown.

You stay classy Pittsburgh! (pun intended)
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Looks like you had a pretty nice tour of our fair city. I was most impressed to see a favorite bar (Fat Heads, on the Southside) make an appearance up there.

More about the train station - it was the Pittsburgh's Union (later, Penn) Station, designed by Daniel Burnham and built right around 1900. The current Amtrak station is in the basement, and the upper floors (the former railroad hotel) are luxury apartments; the building is now known as "The Pennsylvanian." Definitely one of the city's most impressive buildings...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is it always this GLOOMY in Pittsburgh? The sun peaks through in some photos but it seems cloudy/ polluted otherwise.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by bocian View post
    Is it always this GLOOMY in Pittsburgh? The sun peaks through in some photos but it seems cloudy/ polluted otherwise.
    It is that "gloominess" that adds to the character, I say. Cloudy? Sure. Polluted? Not from these photos. If you can't say something nice...

I say this anthology and photos make me want to visit even more. Nice photos.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I didn't post the pictures chronologically. They're more or less organized by area.

You'll see rain and clouds in some pictures - they were taken the second day we were there - it rained on and off all day.

You'll see other pics with blue sky. The third day we were there was beautiful.

There are a few pics from the top of the incline that you'll see blue sky with a lot of haze. On our fourth day it was in the mid-90's and, as is quite normal in Pennsylvania, incredibly humid.

We saw a lot of the rest of Pitt. too, the South Hills, Squirell Hill, Shadyside, Bellefield, the Strip, Garfield, the Northside, Oakland. We just didn't always have the camera with us.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    ohh yeah, on getting around . . .

It's a lot more walkable than I had imagined. Most of the neighborhood Main Streets are in relatively flat areas. The exception is Squirell Hill. We were eating at a restaurant in Shadyside and asked if we could walk to Squirell Hill. The waiter said you could but "they call it Squirell Hill for a good reason". We decided to take the bus - and were thankful for the advice.

I'm sure locals complain about the busses endlessly but for a holiday weekend we didn't have any trouble getting to where we wanted to go. The base fare is expensive and there's no day pass or weekend pass but we made good use of the transfers which are definitely a bargain if you're paying the cash fare. It take us two days to get the hang of the "pay when you board going inbound" and "pay before you get off going outbound" thing but i guess it makes sense when rides are free downtown - we never did figure out the deal with boarding busses outside of downtown on routes that didn't go downtown. Ohh, and I was really surprised at how diverse the transit ridership is there.

We were on the strip one night and out pretty late so we tried to hail a cab and def. got some weird looks . . . which was strange to us because we had seen other people doing it earlier and the cabbies def. knew what we were doing. It took us about 10 minutes to get one but it wasn't for lack of them. About 4 of them rolled past but they were full and the one that wasn't stopped to tell us that he was on a call.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by bocian View post

What are you talking about? The sky is bright blue in well over half of the photos.

Registered
    May 2005
    These are great photos! My wife and I have been obsessing over Pittsburgh of late. It started with an interesting job advert, but once we started to see how affordable (and beautiful) the housing was, the arts and culture scene, etc. our interest has been seriously picqued. One of the things I have found with planning (which I did not think about when I first went back to school) is that the places that really need planners are often those that are in transition or trying to turn things around. That seems to be where Pittsburgh is as they try to shift from an industrial to information based economy and stem the tide of out-migration. Nonetheless, they seem to have maintained a generally top notch public school system and lively public culture (top notch sports teams don't hurt in this regard) making it an attractive place to subject one's children to. It also seems many of the planning opportunities are with the large number of Community Development Corporations and similar non-profits that are spearheading the process at the local level. This is just my cup of tea. That many of these revitalization efforts utilize the arts as a catalyst only makes things more enticing for me.

Anyone living in Pittsburgh now or has recently? What is your opinon of the place?

I grew up in and around Philly and my wife is from the "Akron/Canton Metroplex" so it seems somewhat familiar in terms of architecture, setting, etc. Albuquerque has been fun and interesting (and the weather doesn't suck), but housing costs have been going way up while salaries stagnate. Its hard to get ahead, the schools are not so hot and, well, we like an adventure. We're hoping to visit Pgh in the next year and check it out on the ground. Its at the top of our list these days (over the more "sexy" Portland or Seattle, for example)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2003

arts!

One of the main reasons for the trip was to see the Warhol Museum and Falling Water. We never made it to the latter.

Mick Jones and Topper Headon with Joe Strummer behind the camera. A Strummer/Warhol camera duel. amazing!

How did that great anti-revolutionary Beatles ballad go?
    You say you'll change the constitution
    Well you know
    We all want to change your head
    You tell me it's the institution
    Well you know
    You better free your mind instead
    But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
    You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
    Don't you know know it's gonna be alright
    Alright Alright

The Sliwahs, the founders of the Guardian Angels.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    It is that "gloominess" that adds to the character, I say. Cloudy? Sure. Polluted? Not from these photos. If you can't say something nice...

I say this anthology and photos make me want to visit even more. Nice photos.
    I was half-joking... Pittsburgh is known for its cloudiness... Anyway, nice pictures, I'd be interested in seeing more photos from outside the CBD -- actual neighborhoods.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Statler

Is this an old Statler Hotel?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow, cool photos and commentary. Goes to show I know so little about Pittsburgh. Is it worth a trip up from Philly come APA conference time?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite View post
    Wow, cool photos and commentary. Goes to show I know so little about Pittsburgh. Is it worth a trip up from Philly come APA conference time?
    I have the same question. I am thinking about the Philadelphia APA obviously will want to add some value to the outrageous cost of airfares and time to get there.

I liked a lot of the pics but was dismayed to see yet another freeway next to the river in a major US City.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    When is the APA conference in Philly?

Pittsburgh is friggin' far from Philly. Seriously. It's a 6 hr. drive, a 6 hr. train ride or an hour flight.

It's 1.5 hours to Baltimore, 2.5 to DC, 2 hrs to NYC, and 6 hours to Boston. If i was coming here from western canada or australia i'd stick to the coast. With the abundance of regional rail networks in all of the major cities and the Chinatown busses it's super cheap to travel.

Unless of course you've been to all of those places already and you think they're played out.

Chinatown bus r/t Philly to NYC = US$20
    Chinatown bus r/t Philly to DC = $35
    Chinatown bus r/t NYC to Boston = $40

Registered
    Jun 2003
    APA 2007 is in Philadelphia. Here is the conference web site.

The travel costs (in dollars and time) for me mainly accrue before I get to the US.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    Pittsburgh is friggin' far from Philly. Seriously. It's a 6 hr. drive, a 6 hr. train ride or an hour flight. It's 1.5 hours to Baltimore, 2.5 to DC, 2 hrs to NYC, and 6 hours to Boston. If i was coming here from western canada or australia i'd stick to the coast.
    I was going to say the same thing. I lived in Philly for a year and never made it to Pittsburgh.

New York, Washington and Baltimore are all much closer and much more of a draw. I would recommend a short day trip to the Main Line, Lancaster County (to see the Amish) and the Brandywine Valley north of Delaware.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rem View post
    APA 2007 is in Philadelphia. Here is the conference web site.

The travel costs (in dollars and time) for me mainly accrue before I get to the US.
    You guys are competing with the Philadelphia International Film Festival
    http://www.phillyfests.com/templates/home.cfm

Planning? What's that?

Better book those hotel rooms a few months out.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ok... Pittsburgh is about a 5 hour drive to Philly, 4 1/2 to DC and Baltimore. Maybe 6 to NYC and Chicago. I know, I do it often enough. Pittsburgh is the second most cloudy city in the country after Seattle. Penn Station has apartments above, which I find to be a waste. I hope you peeked through the doors because there is an enormous, beautiful waiting room that would put 30th Street Station to shame. I say its a waste because of the beautiful entrance/dome (in your pics) that is wasted and can only be benefited by a grand hotel. Maybe later. Most people seem to forget what Pittsburgh has been through the last few decades. It has come through it in glowing fashion. I won't try to compare Philly to Pittsburgh because I love Philly so dearly and it has been so underestimated in its own right. It is apples and oranges. I just returned from Philly and sooo impressed with it. There is truly no city like it. Philly, like Pittsburgh, suffers from an acute case of insecurity. I blame it on Pennsylvania's miss-appropriations and just truly lousy infrastructure. I have come to the conclusion that there is no more charming city than Philly.
    As a Pittsburgher, I can only see it as where we came from. The steps this city has taken is nothing less than incredible. Give it another 10 years and it WILL be the talk of the country. It is a walk-able city like none of it's size. Distinct, defined neighborhoods. Pittsburgh is neither Northeastern or Midwestern. It is a combination of the 2 with a southern accent just to it's southern burbs just north of the hills of West Virginia. An art scene that any city can, at least raise an eyebrow and a history that matches the most jaded northeastern city. Its gritty, cloudy, proud, distinct and beautiful and will be the city to watch. Pennsylvania need to find itself again. Despite the state representation that under funds its cities but continuously raises their salaries. Both cities would benefit greatly if you could just skip the commute it takes to get to them from the suburbs. Ghastly!
    Look at my thread "Pittsburgh has fever for downtown living" and grasp what a complete turn around this is for an industrial town.
    Last edited by UrbaniDesDev; 16 Sep 2006 at 1:09 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There are flights from Philly to Pittsburgh for $29 (Chicago also)
    It is a 5-6 hour drive to NYC, Chicago, Philly and Toronto
    It is about 3 1/2 hours to DC/Baltimore
    It's 2 1/2 hours to Cleveland and 3 to Columbus
    No, we're not along the NE Corridor.
    It's an unusual mix of the Northeast and the Midwest. The Southern burbs have a southern accent being along the West Virginia border.
    We are an hour from white water rafting at Ohiopyle, skiing at Seven Springs. Famous golf courses like Oakmont and Nemacolin. There is Frank Lloyd Wrights Falling Water and Kentuck Knob.

More Pics of Pittsburgh

This is still the CBD but it has been transformed into loft apartments.

These are all going residential downtown

This is the new development to go along the river downtown. apartments and condos

in these lots

The All Star Game '06
    Last edited by UrbaniDesDev; 17 Sep 2006 at 12:36 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Pittsburgh Neighborhoods

Pittsburgh Neighborhoods;

The Strip District is historically open markets but has increasingly become the night spot and is evolving into a neighborhood, just outside of Downtown

Here's the South Side. More bars in one section than any in the city. Reminds me of the Haight in SF;

The new section of the South Side called the South Side Works, built on the site of what was once one of the great Steel Mills of Pittsburgh

This is the North Side, an area called the Mexican War Streets, named because it was built during the Mexican War and the Streets are named after battles and generals of the time. Probably one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city.

and of course
    The STEELER NATION!

<these pics are not all mine. Many are acquired from the net and a special thanks to PittsburghSkyline.com>
    Last edited by UrbaniDesDev; 16 Sep 2006 at 10:05 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Redeveloping the many River Fronts

http://www.riverlifetaskforce.org/

http://pittsburgh.about.com/gi/dynam....org%2Ffotr%2F

Redeveloping the many River Fronts and restoring city parks has been the catalyst for the new city energy;

The Trail connection to be placed in front of the Convention Center

This trail goes directly under the Convention Center, connecting the heart of downtown to the waterfront. The walls are waterfalls and are used to cool the Convention Center, the largest "Green" building in the world.

The Convention Center

These are the plans for the Mon Wharf. It was mentioned above how unfortunate it is to see another interstate along the waterfront. They are trying to beautify a very difficult situation. There will be a total of 38 miles of parks and trails along the rivers, just within the city limits. These trails will connect to the "Great Allegheny Passage" and the "C&O Tow Path Trail" connecting Pittsburgh to DC. It will be the most comprhensive trail network in the country. Along the Mon Wharf there will be wetland marshes replaced to create original river side conditions conducive to fish breeding and hatcheries

the Reconstruction of Point State Park

The New North Shore and the Stadiums;

Development Plans;

Settlers Cabin Park Horticulture Center

Last edited by UrbaniDesDev; 17 Sep 2006 at 12:40 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    This picture instantly reminded me of the one below . . .

Lyon, France and the River Saone, which meets up with the Rhone about a mile downstream. Of course, i'm standing on the bridge taking the picture so it doesn't appear in the pic.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Pittsburgher here and new poster. Thanks for posting all those picture of the city, they do a good job of showing the best sides of it. I found this site through Google looking for folks talking about urbanism in Pittsburgh as we are planning on moving back into the city after a few years of exille in the suburbs. We both work in the city and are totally sick of the hour commute and since the kid is graduating next year, we're looking for an interesting neighborhood to move to.

We're both out-of-towners, I'm from NJ and my wife is from the Bay Area of California but we love it here and have no interest in moving back to either area. The 'burg is clean and safe and most of all affordable. We've been looking at Victorian townhouses on the Northside and can find great ones for less than 200K and I'd be able to walk to my office in fifteen minutes. The trick to living here is to find a job, the employment market is pretty soft although it's much better than it was say ten years ago.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Wow, I am impressed! Changes my thinking of Pittsburgh a ton. Almost resembles New York with the water around the downtown area.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by K9 Police View post
    Almost resembles New York with the water around the downtown area.
    I certainly wouldn't go that far.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 04 Jun 2014, 12:37 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Oct 2006, 10:53 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Mar 2006, 6:51 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Mar 2005, 7:19 PM