Urban planning community

Thread: Optimum size

Optimum size

One question for Earl and all others who promote the idea of "optimum" size:
    Once your community has achieved an agreed-upon optimum size, how do you prevent further growth?

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Simplistic though not simple answer: Garden Cities
    Buy a ring of inviolate open space around the community thereby forcing growth to begin in a new community beyond the ring. Of course this works great in "new" communities. Its a little tough in existing communities that have already sprawled. (I said it wasn't simple).

Good question.

John

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I believe I threw the concepts of carrying capacity and
    optimum size on the table---or on the web site, as we say
    today. But like others on this site, Jeff you raise the hard questions.
    Optimum itself can mean different things to different people.
    But assuming that some of the traditional concepts of optimum city size could be refined and updated, I would think the best way to achieve such a community would be
    through consensus----through a shared vision that various factors including health, safety, and welfare, and carrying capacity, could be served by some optimum figure or range.
    A widespread desire to develop, or redevelop, communities which work well.
    John's idea of open space bands, etc. might help.
    I think our mass media are running out of ideas---i.e. the surge in "reality" and "survivor-contrived" type shows.
    Some big planning, and "City beautiful" type effort, headed by a communicators like the late Carl Sagan and the sports icon Michael Jordan, could excite people about the possibilities of living in optimum communities.
    There is heavy marketing of all kinds of trinkets and short-lived gadgets, etc. Why not the communities where we are born, get married, work, and have children and so on.
    Amazing what kind of thoughts come to mind when one lives in total 24-hour daylight for almost three months every year! Share the dream!
    Earl

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning Maximum lot size
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Sep 2012, 1:13 PM
  2. Size doesn’t matter
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Nov 2009, 7:26 PM
  3. psychology of size
    Friday Afternoon Club