Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fancy outdoor fireplace / kitchens ?

Registered
    Feb 2004

Fancy outdoor fireplace / kitchens ?

our community is being inundated with permit applications for fairly large, elaborate outdoor fireplaces, sometimes with attached "kitchen" elements (grills, sinks, electrical outlets, refrigerators).

Not quite sure how to classify or otherwise regulate, it's not a typical residential accessory structure, but is becoming more common. anyone have experience with placing specific limits on these, or if not, how do you anticipate handling one when it comes across your desk?

We are currently looking at one that is 16 feet tall, and about 10' x 3' in footprint.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I view them as accessory to the principal permitted use--a single family dwelling, esp. if they are "becoming more common."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I view them as accessory to the principal permitted use--a single family dwelling, esp. if they are "becoming more common."
    wow, that was fast! any possibility I can impose on you further, and ask what height limits your jurisdiction would impose for such a structure. Our code doesn't define it as a "building", and therefore gets lumped in with other "non-building" structures which don't have a roof and walls, i.e., flagpoles, statuary, etc., and is therefore permitted to be 35 feet tall!!

Registered
    Mar 2004

I would agree....

with my slightly inebriated wine drinking buddy RJ, hic....burp.... about classifying the outdoor kitchen as accessory. We only really worry about second kitchens when located in a "single" family building or on different levels of the home (See definition of duplex or rental unit... )

We also have massive outdoor kitchens being built, some with fireplaces and cooking pits attached to the home by a second chimney Even some with outdoor sinks to clean the fish and prepare the grilled items......ggrrrummblee.....my stomach is telling me to GRILL tonight..... These outdoor facilities are unlikely to be used by a second unit/rental/mother in law and since they tend to be on the same level as the indoor kitchen, only located outside, we haven't had a problem with them. I suppose someone could try to enclose it....but that would be weird having two indoor kitchens..... I haven't seen an outdoor dish washer or range/oven combo, just the range part so far....

Our height limit is the same as the home if attached, otherwise same as accessory structure/sheds.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dogandpony View post
    ... possibility I can impose on you further, and ask what height limits your jurisdiction would impose for such a structure...
    The height of the chimney is regulated by the building code (two feet higher than the nearest point within a ten foot radius?? I think.). It's usually exempted from the height of buildings. I've seen accessory structures allowed anywhere between 12 to 16 feet in height.

BTW, if The One desert rat agrees with me, perhaps I'm wrong?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post

BTW, if The One desert rat agrees with me, perhaps I'm wrong?

I agree with RJ on this
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm not following how this is an "accessory use"

Would you call it the same if there was a roof above?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    I'm not following how this is an "accessory use"

Would you call it the same if there was a roof above?
    Yup, like a garage, storage shed, or guest quarters. They are subordinate and contribute to the comfort and convenience of the occupants of the principal building.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Got it...so they arent attached to the house?

What if it's built on a deck off the back of the house?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Got it...so they arent attached to the house?

What if it's built on a deck off the back of the house?
    Attached or detached. Owner's choice.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Going green in a fancy way
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Oct 2011, 12:50 AM
  2. Parking Parking for soup kitchens
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Aug 2011, 1:00 PM
  3. Replies: 1