Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Road signage in your city - creative examples?

  1. #1
    Cyburbian jameshansenbc's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Posts
    54

    Road signage in your city - creative examples?

    Curious as to whether any cities out there have made any creative and functional direction street signs outside of the usual standard "Blah street ahead" kind of signs. Road signage in Europe is a lot more comprehensive, but my suspicion is that that style of road signage doesn't translate well onto grid planned cities, for example, sometimes the quickest way to a destination is to actually go backwards down the road you came from, or go straight until the next major arterial road, which I have never seen on a sign. Are there any signage examples designed for this and other uniquely north-american road scenarios? I'd really like to see them.

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1

    Winnipeg Canada, a transportation disaster

    Hi Canada Jimmy,

    First post here! Recently completed my Masters in City Planning from the University of Manitoba. I live there for two years (two years two long!) One thing that will forever be with me is the nightmare transportation system stemming from colonial river-lot style development typical of the St. Laurence basin in Quebec and a grid system that was never properly implemented. However, there was one image that stands out. It's called 'confusion corner'.... keep in mind, there are no overpasses, this is all surface level intersections. You'll note that for the loop section, its actually faster to head south if you simply turn around!

    https://www.google.ca/search?q=confu...F%3B1200%3B800

    Take a look at it on streetview as well.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian rcgplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Back in SE Texas
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally posted by CanadaJimmy View post
    Curious as to whether any cities out there have made any creative and functional direction street signs outside of the usual standard "Blah street ahead" kind of signs. Road signage in Europe is a lot more comprehensive, but my suspicion is that that style of road signage doesn't translate well onto grid planned cities, for example, sometimes the quickest way to a destination is to actually go backwards down the road you came from, or go straight until the next major arterial road, which I have never seen on a sign. Are there any signage examples designed for this and other uniquely north-american road scenarios? I'd really like to see them.
    Road signage in US is controlled by the MUTCD so there isn't much variation in allowed street signage. Some cities like Oklahoma City and Charlotte have the standard green street name signs with the name and the city seal, like Oklahoma City, or a symbol of the city, like the crown for the Queen City of Charlotte. San Luis Obispo, CA has brown signs with a very unique font, bitstream libra. I think the signs in San Luis Obispo look cool but are a huge pain to read while driving, especially right around sunset.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian jameshansenbc's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally posted by Aaron Leckie View post
    Hi Canada Jimmy,

    First post here! Recently completed my Masters in City Planning from the University of Manitoba. I live there for two years (two years two long!) One thing that will forever be with me is the nightmare transportation system stemming from colonial river-lot style development typical of the St. Laurence basin in Quebec and a grid system that was never properly implemented. However, there was one image that stands out. It's called 'confusion corner'.... keep in mind, there are no overpasses, this is all surface level intersections. You'll note that for the loop section, its actually faster to head south if you simply turn around!

    https://www.google.ca/search?q=confu...F%3B1200%3B800
    Thanks for sharing that, I was actually in Winnipeg recently, I would have taken a look had I known about this beforehand! Cool sign, signs like that are such a rarity in Canada it seems like.

    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Road signage in US is controlled by the MUTCD so there isn't much variation in allowed street signage. Some cities like Oklahoma City and Charlotte have the standard green street name signs with the name and the city seal, like Oklahoma City, or a symbol of the city, like the crown for the Queen City of Charlotte. San Luis Obispo, CA has brown signs with a very unique font, bitstream libra. I think the signs in San Luis Obispo look cool but are a huge pain to read while driving, especially right around sunset.
    Those San Luis ones are very cool! They are a bit more difficult to read, but still clear enough to work and add some character to the area.

    Thanks for the replies so far, however, I don't think I was clear enough in what I'm actually looking for in the original post. What I'm really hoping to see some examples of directional signs, like "This way to Fakeville, this way to the bus station", that sort of thing, with some sort of standard style across multiple signs. Where I live, nearly every directional sign (as rare as they are) is in a different font, different style, and some don't even show the best route - this is why I'm looking into this, some city somewhere must have got it right!

    One sign near me simply has an arrow pointing eastbound saying "US Border 15km" (or something like that) which is unhelpful, as turning around, going westbound then turning left onto the highway gets you there to a much closer border crossing within 2 or 3km, even though technically there is another crossing eastbound but further away. Not to mention that people unfamiliar to the area may think they're heading south when they see an arrow pointing straight ahead saying the US Border is that way. Whats the point of having the sign if it doesn't provide the most useful information? That's what I'm looking for here, good accurate signage.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally posted by Aaron Leckie View post
    Hi Canada Jimmy,

    First post here! Recently completed my Masters in City Planning from the University of Manitoba. I live there for two years (two years two long!) One thing that will forever be with me is the nightmare transportation system stemming from colonial river-lot style development typical of the St. Laurence basin in Quebec and a grid system that was never properly implemented. However, there was one image that stands out. It's called 'confusion corner'.... keep in mind, there are no overpasses, this is all surface level intersections. You'll note that for the loop section, its actually faster to head south if you simply turn around!

    https://www.google.ca/search?q=confu...F%3B1200%3B800

    Take a look at it on streetview as well.
    Welcome to Cyburbia! Once you make 5 posts, you can send and receive PMs.

    I saw you online, but was unable to PM you about a major transportation planning issue in Winnipeg. It's a different issue than the one you posted above.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    6,165
    I always like Tempe, AZ with these signs at major intersections.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,138
    Blog entries
    5
    From Woodbridge, NJ http://goo.gl/maps/7S0a6

    I hate these. Especially at night.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  8. #8
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,672
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    From Woodbridge, NJ http://goo.gl/maps/7S0a6

    I hate these. Especially at night.
    Ye Olde Milepostes are a form of branding, to present a genteel, upscale image of the community. They're found in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland too, but are gradually being replaced with more conventional signage, often on decorative posts.

    The Coventry neighborhood in Cleveland Heights, Ohio has tie-dye themed street signs, an homage to the neighborhood's countercultural past.

    The South Buffalo neighborhood in Buffalo has street signs in English and Gaelic.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  9. #9
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    6,144
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    From Woodbridge, NJ http://goo.gl/maps/7S0a6

    I hate these. Especially at night.
    Much of the "Mainside" area of Camp Lejeune, NC has road signs like that, especially around the barracks' and battalion buildings.

    I can one up your signs for difficulty to read at night time with these and these in my area. They are very pretty in the daylight (especially the ones with the intricate wood carvings on the top) but the colors are totally non-reflective and unreadable at night, even with headlights shining right on them.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,059
    I once did a downtown plan where I recommended recreating some of the historic signage. There were still a couple signs around from the early 1900's. They could be used for parking and similar signs (but maybe not speed limits).
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  11. #11
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,672
    Blog entries
    3
    From Lewiston, New York, a (distant) suburb of Buffalo.











    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  12. #12
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Wow Lewiston has gotten tres fancy! I spent a few weekends there when a buddy was going to school in Toronto, but could not get a workers visa so he got a job in that area.

    One of the things I have noticed is that 'Artists' have decided to paint whimsical sayings on the large overhead signs you see on freeways. They risk life and limb to write such clever things as "Eat Hot Cheetos" in orange on that beautiful Green and White interstate signage. Has anyone else noticed this sort of hooliganism? I understand there are a few in LA, but I have yet to see any.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 May 2012, 6:09 PM
  2. Shrinking city examples?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 08 Feb 2011, 10:21 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Feb 2009, 2:45 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Apr 2007, 7:08 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Mar 2005, 4:07 PM