Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reflections on first week of College

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I never understood why lower income people thought they were privelidged ($$) enough to go away school.
    Well I was low income and I went away to school. Granted, I first went to community college for one year while living at home and for the next five years I was dirt poor despite working 2-3 jobs at one time. I also took a year off, did Americorps and paid off most of my loans from the first two years. My student loan debt is still much more than I would like it to be.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Well I was low income and I went away to school. Granted, I first went to community college for one year while living at home and for the next five years I was dirt poor despite working 2-3 jobs at one time. I also took a year off, did Americorps and paid off most of my loans from the first two years. My student loan debt is still much more than I would like it to be.
    I was also lower income and went away to school for the first 2 years. I left because it was getting very expensive very fast. I would've stayed if I knew what all my options were at the time. I didn't want to go to the Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln because it would have been like going to the 13th grade. Everyone I knew was going to UNL.

My first week at Kansas was great. The day after my 18th birthday which was a Sunday my relatvely newly divorced parents drive me to Lawrence. Normally, it takes only 3 hours from Omaha if you go the common sense way. South on I-29 from Council Bluffs, pick up I-435 somewhere between KCI and KC proper then pick up I-70 fget off at the West Lawrence exit. Well, my Dad decides he didn't want to pay the dollar toll (this was Aug. 92) and decides to take 'his route'. Four and a half hours after leaving downtown Omaha we arrive on campus. We pull up to the my dorm and get out of the car to stretch and the first thing my Dad says is that he's seen projects in Chicago that look better than this.

A couple of friends who didn't go to college came with us. My Dad drive back the same day. My Mom and friends stay a couple of days to make sure my housing situation was straight. No tears were shed. Freshman Dorm room: #115 Templin Hall, on the top of the hill at W. 15th Street and whatever the drive was for the those six or seven dorms on that side of campus.

Sophomore year: My Granma decides she wants in on the act. She drives down with my Mom and me. She sees the condition of my room in Jayhawker Tower C, 4th Floor and proceeds to ask me where the grocery store is so she can buy some cleaning products. My new roommates and their parents walk in as I'm scubbing the kitchen counter.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I was happy to send my daughter, the other A-type personality in the house, away to college. I missed her a lot while she was gone.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Sep 2010, 10:11 PM
  3. Replies: 49
    Last post: 24 Jan 2008, 11:16 PM
  4. Death Bed Reflections
    Friday Afternoon Club