Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The "Environmentally-Friendly" SprawlMart

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,843

    The "Environmentally-Friendly" SprawlMart

    WalMart is going Eco-Friendly
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ver-usat_x.htm

    There are changing light bulbs to reduce energy and their fish buying will be from 'sustaible' fisheries, etc., etc.

    Wally World is changing - what a great thing! or is hell freezing over? The article stated that the Wal stands out to make more money on this initiative (maybe why their board approved it. ) A good thing, as a good friend pointed out is maybe organic food prices will start to come down so he won't have to spend $16 for salad.

    Also the recent spin of generic drugs the Wal just started marketing, yep its good for our seniors and the drug companies should be doing this anyway (why do they advertise perscription durgs? but that's another rant), but it will put the indpendent pharmacies out of business.

    I hope this isn't another flash in the pan advertisement gimick like their "Made In The USA" campaign in the early/mid 1990s. Go into any SprawlMart today and make a game to find anything made in the USA.

    However, I don't see their development practices changing that much - and that won't capture John Q. Public's attention like cheaper generic drugs, recycling and buying practices.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  2. #2
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,573
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    WalMart is going Eco-Friendly
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ver-usat_x.htm

    There are changing light bulbs to reduce energy and their fish buying will be from 'sustaible' fisheries, etc., etc.

    Wally World is changing - what a great thing! or is hell freezing over? The article stated that the Wal stands out to make more money on this initiative (maybe why their board approved it. ) A good thing, as a good friend pointed out is maybe organic food prices will start to come down so he won't have to spend $16 for salad.

    Also the recent spin of generic drugs the Wal just started marketing, yep its good for our seniors and the drug companies should be doing this anyway (why do they advertise perscription durgs? but that's another rant), but it will put the indpendent pharmacies out of business.

    I hope this isn't another flash in the pan advertisement gimick like their "Made In The USA" campaign in the early/mid 1990s. Go into any SprawlMart today and make a game to find anything made in the USA.

    However, I don't see their development practices changing that much - and that won't capture John Q. Public's attention like cheaper generic drugs, recycling and buying practices.
    Hmmm... I thought it was Kmart that did the made in the USA thing.

    My brother is preparing his Sam's to install more skylights and has suggested to his boss that they consider installing a PV system on the roof for the rest of the electric as well as a rainwater recycling system for landscaping (which he is also planning to improve).

    It's a positive step and something my brother said the company is quite serious about--he was initially skeptical about their seriousness until he talked with some higher-ups.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  3. #3
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,923
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Hmmm... I thought it was Kmart that did the made in the USA thing.
    Wal•Mart had a massive "Buy America" campaign as part of its marketing in the late 1980s and early 90s. This was part of Sam Walton's agenda, but after the company became corporatized, and especially after he died, it switched to "Everyday Low Prices" which meant "everyday low wages" for places like Bangladesh and China where they massively increased imports since around 1995.

    Wal•Mart going green has its plus sides, particularly in establishing a standard for big box impact (and perhaps organic farming as well) but I think the real detrimental aspects are primarily economic. This is the case at all levels - from deliberately opening two stores in one small town to run other smaller places out of business (which has been recognized as official policy - they eventually close one once they have majority market share) to importing goods produced by clearly exploited workers doing jobs that in the late 1980s would have been done by Americans (when Bangladesh proved too expensive, they moved to China). There is the issue of skirting health benefits and trying to get workers on state welfare programs instead as well, and others too numerous to mention.

    My take is that the folks they have hired to run their "war room" (who are largely people who have run former presidential campaigns and are experts at spin and distraction) decided this could be a great media blitz to draw attention away from other problems or areas of growing criticism. As I said, this can have positive elements to it, but I personally feel the overall impact of their activities is still highly detrimental. Its interesting to see that pressure in these areas can still elicit change in places like this. Still, don't believe the hype...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  4. #4
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,612
    Blog entries
    1

    Hmmm....

    Well, they seem to be attacking prescription drug costs too:

    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/healt...art_09-22.html

    Maybe some of the executives don't want to go to hell and are trying to play catch up with the big guy upstairs?? Then again, maybe they are just trying to bait more of us into going into the stores for a reward from the big guy downstairs?? It's tough to tell, but history says the latter is more likely.....

    Still, $4 for a month of prescriptions (generic) might keep the geezers from driving to Mexico or Canada as much, cutting down on all that wasted gas

    I want to know where they are getting the generic drugs?? I think an Indian facotry is more likely than a US or European source, considering the greed in these markets.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  5. #5
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Hmmm... I thought it was Kmart that did the made in the USA thing.
    I remember Meijer (the Supercenter prototype out of Grand Rapids had this sort of advertising campaign. It would not surprise me that Kmart (out of Detroit) would have the same type of campaign, but I can't recall it specifically.

    BTW, I am on a couple of generic drugs I get refilled at Target. A 90-day supply costs me less than my copay, or about $9.50 total. Both of these are on the Walmart list. Therefore Walmart's offer may sound great, but some generics are already well under that in cost. I doubt they will sell higher priced generics for $4 and the list is carefully selected.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  6. #6
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,186
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I remember Meijer (the Supercenter prototype out of Grand Rapids had this sort of advertising campaign. It would not surprise me that Kmart (out of Detroit) would have the same type of campaign, but I can't recall it specifically.

    BTW, I am on a couple of generic drugs I get refilled at Target. A 90-day supply costs me less than my copay, or about $9.50 total. Both of these are on the Walmart list. Therefore Walmart's offer may sound great, but some generics are already well under that in cost. I doubt they will sell higher priced generics for $4 and the list is carefully selected.
    I noticed the same thing when I went to Target and had something filled because the university's pharmacy was closed because of Rosh Hashannah It was a pretty good bargain compared to what I've paid for it at other places. The packaging is kinda cool too.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Random Traffic Guy's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    639
    Wal-Mart has a testbed store in McKinney, Texas where they installed all kinds of green tech. Non A/C ventilation, solar signs, porous concrete parking lot, etc. It opened about a year ago but I haven't been there yet.

    Besides increasing efficiency across the delivery system, on the micro level Wal-Mart is also the driving force behind the conversion from deoderant sticks inside their own boxes to simply sticks on the shelf. Somewhere I saw how much cardboard, ink, shipping, this saves across the whole industry, it was amazing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Environmentally friendly vehicles
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 24 Aug 2005, 3:39 PM