Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zoning for shopping centers -- good non-PUD examples?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001

Zoning for shopping centers -- good non-PUD examples?

I’m hoping to find examples of conventional zoning districts that adequately accommodate large shopping center design realities, without going the PUD route.

To help you think about it, here’s a scenario:
    ~~ The center is 20+ acres in size
    ~~ It will be planned as a whole, but will be subdivided to have multiple eventual owners
    ~~ Some of those owners may eventually want to add on to their buildings or redevelop their sites
    ~~ It will be comprised of one or more anchors, with an attached multi-tenant strip and several stand-alone buildings
    ~~ The land division will divide property along a parti-wall and through a shared parking lot (zero lot line buildings and parking)
    ~~ The center cumulatively will meet the community’s typical minimum open space requirements, but individual parcels won’t

Yes, traditional downtown zoning does this, zero lot line, 100% impervious, but we don’t want to allow the potential that all of the buildings and all of the parking could be at the lot lines. And what to do about the minimum open space without burdening one future (different) property owner with the responsibility for maintaining a disproportionate amount of open space on their site because another owner doesn’t have any?

Do you know of a tidy set of standards (written as a conventional zoning district, not a PUD) that accomplishes both of these things? If so, please point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by indigo; 21 Sep 2006 at 1:09 PM.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I wrote this some years ago and is still in existence for the north shore of massachsuetts town for a mall - section 28 Commercial III

http://www.danvers.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={B2D52330-F2E2-4E8F-9741-050A8B4264E0}&DE={6B84B457-33CD-4D9E-B7A7-68A4410816A3}

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Thank you. That gives me some food for thought. I was starting to worry that there weren't any good ones out there, but perhaps it is a busy day in Cyburbialand.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Shopping Centers In Your Town
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 05 Apr 2011, 5:34 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Dec 2010, 1:28 AM
  3. LEED shopping centers
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Feb 2009, 12:53 PM