Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Recommendations for Land Use Law (JD) Programs?

Registered
    Jul 2004

Recommendations for Land Use Law (JD) Programs?

I'm interested in starting law school in a couple of years, and want to emphasize land use law in my studies.

Anybody know of a good land use law (JD) program? Preferrably somewhere in the West?

In my research so far, it seems like land use law programs are almost all on the Eastern seaboard, and that JD programs in the West are predominantly environment-related, not land use related.

Thanks!

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    You might look at the University of Denver's Sturm College of Law. They have the Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute that has an annual conference every spring. It is part of their environmental law program but the college does have planning and land use classes.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by permaplanjuneau View post
    In my research so far, it seems like land use law programs are almost all on the Eastern seaboard, and that JD programs in the West are predominantly environment-related, not land use related.
    I don't know if it's still true, but I think the University of Montana Law School use to have a strong core in land use law.

Otterpop - can you shed some light here?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Vermont Law School (but strongest in Enviro law)
    UNC
    FSU
    Lewis & Clark

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    what, not having enough fun in Juneau?

I know you said west, but if you are heading eastward - Syracuse University Law school is an excellent choice - I would also recommend New England School of Law in downtown Boston, my best interns in land use were from there - Suffolk is good in Boston if you want to be a general Town attorney

it really depends on where you want to end up living because the coursework will focus on state law in the state you are in - not that this completely boxes you in a certain state, you can catch on for sure if you moved - but it would be easier to go to law school in the state you want to live in

good luck -

OT: look for some email questions from me next week on your head tax you guys put in Alaska - I'd like to know more about that - the shamming continues here, btw!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Boss Man's wife is a grad of Santa Clara University. She's a land use attorney.

http://www.scu.edu/law/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Aug 2010, 2:34 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Oct 2009, 7:25 PM
  3. Book recommendations
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 9:20 AM
  4. Recommendations on new PC