Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article about New Urbanism

Registered
    Sep 2006

Article about New Urbanism

There's an article in the online-only American publication Pine Magazine that discusses the economic side of New Urbanism that's generated a bit of conversation. I work with the publication and the amount of letters to the editor have been astonishing. Here in Atlanta, where we are, there are two communities that, while well received, have generated some controversy as to the viability of these communities. Pretty interesting stuff.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Wow...that article is total clap-trap. The author talks about the tenets of New Urbanism, then talks about how these specific developments don't follow them, then makes the move to say that New Urbanism isn't affordable.

He even talks to New Urbanists that say those developments don't follow their principles.

There are good articles and books attacking New Urbanism, but this certainly isn't one.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I have to agree that this article doesn't really follow one line of reasoning. The only benefit I got was in reading about the incredibly low home prices in GA. You can't even buy a doormat here for less than 300K.

Registered
    Oct 2006
    The article does seem a bit dis-jointed, maybe it was edited really badly before publication or something.

I like some ideas of New Urbanism, but am really, really sceptical that it can actually work.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Jun 2014, 2:44 PM
  2. Article about 'tactical urbanism'
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 4:30 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 May 2012, 10:16 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Oct 2011, 12:58 PM