Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Swimming pools and water conservation

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2004

Swimming pools and water conservation

Hi, all; I wonder if any of you has come across special fees or limitations to swimming pools, particularly in desert areas where water is limited. If one of a city's goals is to conserve water, and a swimming pool evaporates some number of equivalent residential units away every year, does it make sense to (1) limit pool size, and/or (2) charge a 'recreational' water impact fee or rate? Thanks for your input.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why not prohibit them altogether? You might impose restrictions, as is often done with sprinkling. You could also assess a hefty permit fee and annual fees to dissuade people who might be considering installing one. Of course, you could always permit people to fill them with gray water.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Why not prohibit them altogether? You might impose restrictions, as is often done with sprinkling.
    One Council in Sydney tried to prohibit people from installing pools- that went down real well with the locals
    We have restrictions on filling pools- we can top them up, and fill them to if they are under 10,000Litres- anything bigger or just installed and you need a permit.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Why not prohibit them altogether? You might impose restrictions, as is often done with sprinkling. You could also assess a hefty permit fee and annual fees to dissuade people who might be considering installing one. Of course, you could always permit people to fill them with gray water.
    Do other cities actually do this (not, lol, the gray water thing, but the rest)? It would be nice if I could find examples. Seems to me that, at the very least we should stop pools from being filled when we are in serious drought- that should be one of the first things that gets restricted, even before lawns, which will die.

...we can top them up, and fill them to if they are under 10,000Litres...
    So you do pay attention to size; I would think we would want to base a size restriction on surface area rather than gallons, though...?

Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    What is this water conservation that you all speak of? Why is this important? Water is everywhere!! doesn't everyone live less than 2 miles from a lake or river like they do here in Michigan? Aren't all states surrrounded by huge bodies of fresh water?

No??? Sucks to be you then!

We may not have the best economy, but try drinking or washing in your economy!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    What is this water conservation that you all speak of? Why is this important? Water is everywhere!! doesn't everyone live less than 2 miles from a lake or river like they do here in Michigan? Aren't all states surrrounded by huge bodies of fresh water?

No??? Sucks to be you then!

We may not have the best economy, but try drinking or washing in your economy!
    Yeah, we can't drink these outrageous property values. Maybe you could drum up some biz by starting a giant sandbox craze- I've got some pretty red sand I could sell you cheap (or maybe work a trade for some of that wet stuff)!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Dec 2011, 3:07 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Feb 2009, 2:45 AM
  3. Car pools
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 4:57 PM
  4. Fencing swimming pools
    Land Use and Zoning