Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Entry-level planner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

Entry-level planner

Hello Everyone,

I am working as an assistant planner since about a year. Before I was hired, during my interview, my boss and my co-worker did not specify job duties that much. I primarily selected this job right after finishing my graduate study in planning due to the characteristics of the municipality I am working in and some planning projects they mentioned about during the interview.

Now all I do here is development application reviews and no other planning. They are telling me to wait to be involved in other type of planing which they do currently... What could be done from my side to do some more planning at work after having such a strong academic background? I also have a professional bachelors degree and two years of experience prior to this job. I am also taking my licencing exam in near future. Need advice.....

Registered
    Sep 2006
    I just posted a thread about growth opportunity in public and private sectors. This seems like something I'd like to avoid. I'm sorry for your situation. I don't mind starting out in development review for a good career foundation but I'd want a structured and progressive timetable for taking on more responsibility.

Sorry I can't offer any advice. I don't even have your experience yet.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yipes, Veggie - your job is the typical entry level position in planning - you will be a better professional in the future if you know the mechanics of the implementaiton of the plan, that is, the permitting - so be patient, read everything, keep up with what's happening, ask if you can assist at planning meetings, anything to keep active but more importantly, be able to do permitting in your sleep!

good luck -

I'm about to post an entry level planning postion in my town so I will make sure I am clear that this is a ground up position!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I guess it depends on where you start. My first job out of college was with a 400-plus person regional agency and I was the only planner. I did everything from demographics to Development of Regional Impact review to subdivision tracking to agricultural water monitoring. It was a great experience. After that I went into local planning and learned zoning and land use, but I got a lot of responsibility right off the bat since I had a couple years of experience.

If you've been there a year, it's time to look around and find something you find more satisfying. Be sure to ask a lot of questions about day to day duties!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Be thankful you didn't get stuck in code compliance as your entry level position. I did and I got out of there at the first opportunity. You're in a good spot. As lp said, be patient.

Registered
    May 2004
    Development review is not necessarily entry level. In my opinion it can often be more difficult and challenging and exciting than long range planning. What's not to like about dealing with angry neighbors and giving public presentations on 100 lot subdivisions?

Seriously - I've worked in some places where the best and brightest were in fact the development review planners. Don't look down your nose at it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Everyone,

I know developemnt review is not always very easy...and neither boring every time you take up an application... just got little tired in a year....I definately should wait for little more time and yes thanks for advice on asking lots of questions... it is necessary for deeper understanding... I should trust my superviser......

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 6:30 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 12 Sep 2009, 11:12 AM
  3. Entry-level planner training
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Aug 2008, 11:06 AM
  4. Skills of an entry-level planner
    Career Development and Advice