Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pass by percentages for library sites

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Pass by percentages for library sites

While I realize that ITE does not have a pass-by percentage listed for a public library, there has to be some rule of thumb that exists when looking at pass-by for a suburban library location. What has been your experiences with this?
    It's not me

Registered
    May 2003
    What is 'pass-by'?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by iamme View post
    What is 'pass-by'?
    A "pass-by" trip is defined as a trip already on the adjacent road network - it is deferentiated from a "new" trip that a development might generate.

I would tend to think that the pass-by trip rate for a library would be pretty small. They tend not to be places people just drop into on the spur of the moment while passing by.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I would tend to think that the pass-by trip rate for a library would be pretty small. They tend not to be places people just drop into on the spur of the moment while passing by.
    Really, because I would have thought the opposite. I almost always go to the library on the way to somewhere else. Especially if I'm just returning books.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite View post
    Really, because I would have thought the opposite. I almost always go to the library on the way to somewhere else. Especially if I'm just returning books.
    I would agree. Library stops are most likely part of a trip chain.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Pass-by/Non Pass-by trips refers to the generation of traffic on the adjacent roadways and whether or not *new* traffic would be generated by the site or would divert from other nearby roadways. A classic pass-by trip would be at gas stations. When a new gas station opens up it is unlikely that too many customers are making a specific trip just to visit it or are diverting off their normal routes. Basically, most people who stop at gas stations would've been on the adjacent roadway anyway. On the otherhand if a new library opens up, people will make specific trips and likely would divert off their normal routes (there usually isn't a library on every corner and you need to take you books back to the right one). Doesn't mean there is 0% pass-by trips for a library, but I would say it would be a small percentage.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I wouldnt consider a library a pass-by...even if it is combined with another trip, the trip to that library is very specifi, unlike a gas station or fast food.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I would also say zero or very few pass-by trips to the library. Seems like it would have low trip generation anyways. Pass-by is a PITA to keep track of, too, not worth the time in many cases IMHO.

Registered
    May 2003
    Thanks for the pass-by explanation.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the input. It would be an interesting thing to look at further.
    It's not me

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Sep 2010, 9:07 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Nov 2008, 6:36 AM
  3. New or Used? DC Library
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Sep 2006, 10:27 AM
  4. Replies: 0