Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MURP vs MSLA advice

Registered
    Sep 2006

MURP vs MSLA advice

I want to work in Urban Design - I had a City staff member a few years ago point the difference between planners and designers and realized the design side was a better fit.
    That said, where I'm at, I have the choice between an MURP (EWU) and an MSLA (WSU) to try and accomplish this.
    What would be the best approach - or is there a better way yet such as make my own between the two augmented with on-line studies?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I too am considering a leap into design. I would almost consider the MSLA degree over the EWU MURP degree. According to my research, EWU is more of a regulatory/environmental school with regard to their MURP. I have not heard anything about WSU MSLA, except that theit Regional Planning degree program was dismantled (from a planning standpoint).

That being said, I think the EWU would be a good choice all around. The principles and education you;d get would work for getting into design (provided you learn the proper computer applications). I am still looking into the school for my educational pursuits, mainly for the MURP degree, but my fiance wants to return to the area of EWa and North Idaho. Perhaps we'd be classmates?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Perhaps we'd be classmates?
    If so I'll look for the Bronco's fan. They are rare, few and far between around here - but I work with one and he's alright.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by back2zero View post
    If so I'll look for the Bronco's fan. They are rare, few and far between around here - but I work with one and he's alright.
    Off-topic:
    New Year's Eve, 2004-2005 I had a bartender in CDA buy the rest of my beers for the reaminder of the evening because of my wearing a Broncos T-Shirt. He said he felt "sorry" for me, but also said I was "brave".
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Back to the thread at hand....

FWIW, it doesn't appear that MSLA program at WSU (Washington State?) is accredited. At least, it doesn't appear in the list of accredited programs on the ASLA's website -
    (http://www.asla.org/nonmembers/educa...prog_alpha.htm)

If it's not accredited as a first professional degree, you'll have a *much* harder time getting licensed, and potentially getting a job. YMMV.

Having said all that, if you want to be a designer, you need a design degree. Few planning degrees give you that, so you'd probably be better of with an architecture or LA degree.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    This could also bring up another topic: How Important is Accreditation?

If you all will indulge me, follow me to the Student Louge Forum.

Link to follow

-Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Sep 2011, 1:04 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Sep 2010, 12:05 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Mar 2010, 10:43 AM
  4. MUD/MURP vs 3-yr MLA
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9