Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: To be or not to be an urban planner

Registered
    Sep 2006

To be or not to be an urban planner

OK everyone. I love studying cities and want to follow my passions into a career. Will it be foolish of me to study urban planning in a traditional professional school when I want to be a consultant/urban historian???

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    You may want to look at Masters programs that have a concentration in historic preservation. If you are interested in working as a consultant (in any field) in the future you generally need experience and the degrees to back it up. Generall speaking, I dont think undergraduate degrees carry the weight they have in the past and post grad degrees are only going to become more essential imho. However, you may want to see if you can get work experience in the field to know if it is truely something your intersted in before you invest in a masters degree.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Would the Urban Planner degree get you work while you built a consultant/historian reputation?
    I would find three people who do what you want to do - and then three urban planners (since it sounds like what you want to do is not plan), and try and pick their brains and see what they do, how they got there, and what it took.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. US urban planner moving to UK
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Mar 2013, 4:06 PM
  2. Urban Planner from UK/ GER
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Nov 2011, 8:26 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 3:13 PM