+ Reply to thread

Thread: Milwaukee Is Named 'Drunkest City'

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Milwaukee Is Named 'Drunkest City'

AIB Headline and Article from AP Wire.
    http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/22/nig...822method.html

Each city was ranked in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism. Each area was assigned a ranking in each category, based on quantitative data, and all five categories were then totaled to produce a final score, which was sorted to produce our rankings.
    2. Minneapolis-St. Paul
    3. Columbus, Ohio
    4. Boston
    5. Austin, Texas

What a great honor.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I can't believe the following cities did not make it:

Chicago
    New Orleans
    Miami
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Those cities made the list -
    Chicago was # 6
    New Orleans was # 24
    Miami was # 33
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Austin, Boston and Columbus are probably the BIGGEST college towns in the country and Milwaukee is the home of American beer. No surprises there. However, based on the appearance of the Twin Cities at the top of the list I would also guess that the region's Nordic stock may have something to do with it. The Scandanavian nations also have the world's highest rates of alcoholism.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    #8 Pittsburgh
    We will simply just have to try harder.

There is a drinking culture of sorts here that I never experienced living in different cities down South. Not that those places weren't full of drunks, but that's another observation for another time. It seems that driking is just a commonplace activity that goes hand-in-hand with celebration. I haven't attended a single high school graduation, wedding reception, wedding shower, first holy communion party, christening, gallery opening, lecture reception, office picnic, etc... that didn't include alcohol. Additionally, going out for drinks after work is just the accepted thing to do for many people. Perhaps it's a remnant of the steel era when the workers would go out for a "shot an' a beer" after a hard day at the mill. The hard labor isn't there, but the drinking has remained.

As much as I enjoy Milwaukee’s (and Wisconsin in general) reputation as a heavy drinking state, I do believe the factors used in determining the rankings are flawed. First, they ask if you have had an alcoholic beverage in the last 30 days. If you say yes, it factors into some equation that results in your City being more drunk. What a joke. Second, they call the consumption of five or more alcoholic drinks in one occasion “binge drinking. I do not consider that binge drinking, I consider that a normal night out (I am not saying that in jest either). Using that definition I binge drink once a week. I am guessing that most Wisconsinites agree with me. If I am out for 4-5 hours five drinks seems about right. Five beers in 5 hours is hardly what I could consider a binge. Five beers in five hours and you are likely under the legal limit. To me a binge is what I did in college. Things like dedicating an entire Saturday to “case day” where each of us would buy a case of cheap ass beer (think Huber bock or Milwaukee’s Best) and attempt to finish it in the course of a day (we never failed to accomplish our goal). Binge drinking is the 100 shot club, 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes then going out for the evening afterwards. Bing drinking is what you do at bachelor parties and other people’s weddings, especially those with open bars.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man View post
    Second, they call the consumption of five or more alcoholic drinks in one occasion “binge drinking. I do not consider that binge drinking, I consider that a normal night out (I am not saying that in jest either). Using that definition I binge drink once a week. I am guessing that most Wisconsinites agree with me.
    I think that is the point of the whole survey: Milwaukeeans drink more than the residents of the other cities surveyed (not that there is anything wrong with that). I happen to agree with you and the same is true of Boston and most northern cities. But throw in Salt Lake City, Witchita, Oklahoma City, Atlanta and a host of other more conservative and religious cities and you can see why Milwaukee and Boston rank so high.

I actually met a guy the other day who told me that he had never been in his neighborhood's only liquor store. In Boston, this would be heresy (or a result of AA). Not here, it's par for the course.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I vote upstate NY as the country's "drunkest region"

Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    We will simply just have to try harder.

There is a drinking culture of sorts here that I never experienced living in different cities down South. Not that those places weren't full of drunks, but that's another observation for another time. It seems that driking is just a commonplace activity that goes hand-in-hand with celebration. I haven't attended a single high school graduation, wedding reception, wedding shower, first holy communion party, christening, gallery opening, lecture reception, office picnic, etc... that didn't include alcohol. Additionally, going out for drinks after work is just the accepted thing to do for many people. Perhaps it's a remnant of the steel era when the workers would go out for a "shot an' a beer" after a hard day at the mill. The hard labor isn't there, but the drinking has remained.
    That sounds exactly like Scranton. I guess a holdover from the old mining days. Plus, like Pittsburgh, Scranton is made up of ethnic groups that are traditionally known for their drinking: Irish, Italian, German, etc.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I vote upstate NY as the country's "drunkest region"
    I second that! I remember driving from Saratoga Springs to Latham on I-87. It was a race night and I was literally the ONLY sober driver on the road. It looked like a game of bumper cars. Not a statie to be found.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Milwuakee...LOL. No big surprises there.

a) It's a rust-belt blue-collar city that engages in drinking practices similar to what people mention in Pittsburgh
    b) It is the home of beer, particularly Miller products
    c) It is the home of one of the largest summer music festivals in the country
    d) They actually name their baseball stadium after one of the largest beer manufacturers in the country
    e) Its people are predominantly of German ancestry, arguably one of the most drinkingest ethnic groups
    f) It is home to Alpine Valley Music Theater, the greatest outdoor music venue in the U.S., and also the most drinkingest of its kind
    g) We all know how rowdy those college kids in Madison, Milwaukee, and Whitewater are
    h) What else is there to do when it's freezing cold outside?
    i) What else goes better with boating and snowmobiling?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm j ust glad this is one list the Detroit don't Top, I guess we are too fat, too lazy, and too busy creating crime to have anything to do with leading the nation in drunkards.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2004
    How does Minneapolis beat Chicago in a ranking that takes liquor laws into account? Chicago's are delightfully lenient--bars can stay open until 4AM (clubs until later), and any liquor-serving establishment only has to close for 4 hours a day (often, say, 6AM to 10AM). Liquor can be sold in any grocery store or drugstore, and prices are some of the cheapest in the country (WI has us beat on selection though). In Minnesota, on the other hand, bars close at 2AM, liquor stores close at 8PM (except in Minneapolis, where it's 10PM), and grocery stores are only allowed to sell the atrocity known as 3.2 beer.

Chicago is a city of bars. I know this because I go to any other city in the country and wonder where all the bars are. It's just that much of a drinking town.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by drucee View post
    How does Minneapolis beat Chicago in a ranking that takes liquor laws into account? Chicago's are delightfully lenient--bars can stay open until 4AM (clubs until later), and any liquor-serving establishment only has to close for 4 hours a day (often, say, 6AM to 10AM).
    Wow some places would be happy to not be considered a town of drunks, Chicago is offended because it comes in 6!

We have bars that are closed 4 hours a day too. Many open at 6 am to get the 3rd shifters.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Think that's bad? Here's a scene from Tunkhannock, PA:

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The 25 drunkest countries
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Mar 2011, 6:49 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Sep 2007, 9:46 AM
  3. Replies: 3