Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Registered
    Sep 2006

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Anyone else from the Twin Cities area on board? Who has visited? Which city fits your lifestyle? Are the two cities on track to become better, or are they declining?

I find myself a Minneapolis type guy, more than St. Paul even though I work there. There is more parks, more trails, the light rail, better nightlife, etc. One thing I must say, transportation sucks around here!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I have only visited the area, but on many occassions, and from my observations, the Saint Paul side of the metro area (not just the two central cities, which combined account for a tiny percentage of it, but the entire urbanized area) is the more 'blue collar' and conservative side while the Minneapolis side is more 'elitist' and liberal.

The metro area itself continues to grow at an amazing pace, while the two main cities and their surrounding older built-out close-in suburban areas seem to be a bit stagnant. MStP is a spread-out low-rise area metro area with little desire, from what I see, to 'densify' already built-out areas - thus the continuing spread of its urbanization (it already goes all the way east to Roberts, WI) and with it the usual attendant problems with mobility that come in such large low-density places.

It is an interesting agglomeration.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I've loved MSP when I've visited. I found the people to be really nice and friendly. Downtown Minneapolis looked nice, but I thought there were too many highways crisscrossing through the city and a ton of surface parking lots. Those were the only negatives, in my opinion. The parks and lakes were great.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    The downtown parking lots in Minneapolis are an unfortunate side effect of the city being one of the only cities after the widespread growth of automobile use to put all of its professional sports venues downtown. The central cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, though seem healthy, progressive, and attractive, providing one of America's few successful examples of a pedestrian/transit mall (and downtown department stores), Pacific Northwest-style bungalow (in Minneapolis) and Midwestern Victorian (St. Paul) architecture, and vibrant neighborhoods. Did I mention the parks and lakes?

Registered
    Oct 2006
    I've lived in both cities and prefer Minneapolis, where I currently live. To me, Minneapolis has more energy than St. Paul. I also can't live without the parkway trails and lakes. LRT was a great addition and I hope we can build and maintain support for the other lines. Overall, the cities are doing quite well, in my opinion. The suburbs seem to be a bit of a mess.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I've lived here all my life, and transportation is fine if you live directly on a regular busline. The number of park n' rides is really beginning to mushroom due to the political efforts of MnDOT to appear to support transit. The side effect of this is that while the old routes gain 5 % increases in ridership, the suburbs double or triple that ammount. The upshot of that is that now most bus riders vote and are politically active in the workings of the transit system.

As for myself, I have been campaigning for overhead suspended light rail, also known as suspended monorail, for over six years now.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Nov 2002

Liked Them Both

Quote Originally posted by K9 Police View post
    Anyone else from the Twin Cities area on board? Who has visited? Which city fits your lifestyle? Are the two cities on track to become better, or are they declining?

I find myself a Minneapolis type guy, more than St. Paul even though I work there. There is more parks, more trails, the light rail, better nightlife, etc. One thing I must say, transportation sucks around here!
    I lived in Saint Paul for a while and spent a lot of time in both cities - liked them both. Saint Paul reminded me of Boston because of the Jewish/Irish population and eastern architecture. Mpls reminded me of the west - less historic architecture, more glass hi-rise. On the whole Mpls seemed to be doing better.

This was all before LRT hit (at the time it seemed an impossible thing due to the political decision to go for the intra-City route along I-94 and overall political infighting.) Traffic was bad but nothing compared to Boston. The sprawl was a little much but that's true most places in the U.S.

If I ever moved back I'd probably pick Mpls due to the larger size. I think they are both on the rise comparatively.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Minneapolis!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 May 2012, 12:25 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Nov 2006, 2:44 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 May 2006, 9:52 AM
  4. Minneapolis to St. Paul transit options
    Transportation Planning