Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Island Urban Planning Info?

Registered
    Sep 2006

Island Urban Planning Info?

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I'm entering a URP Master's program in January with the intent of starting a new career (this will be my 2nd Master's degree). I have interest in planning as it relates to cities/towns that exist on islands. It seems to me that there have to be special circumstances with transportation both on and off-of the island, erosion, limited space, etc. Is anyone aware of books, websites, or general discussions of this sort of thing?

Thank you,
    Brandon

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I used to work for the City of Oak Harbor in Washington State, which is in Island County. You may want to check out the Island County website and their Comprehensive Plan, which deals with many of these issues. There are two islands within Island County, and both have a bridge attaching them to the mainland; however, ferries are the typical commuting method to the Seattle portion of the mainland.

San Juan County in WA State is also comprised solely of islands, and they have some good plans there as well. Planners at those two municipalities would probably be excellent sources of information. All transportation to these islands are by air or water, no bridges.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Thank you, I will do so. Interestingly, Oak Harbor is one of the cities I've considered job-searching in once I graduate, along with Anacortes, Port Townsend, and others in that area (and of course, Hawaii, the Keys, etc.).
    - Brandon

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't know about books, but ask me anything - I'm the planning director for a town on an island ff the coast of Maine -

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Jun 2011, 8:53 AM
  2. Planning jobs info
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 11:43 AM
  3. Info on comprehensive planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Nov 2009, 6:19 AM