Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any Opportunities for Accounting Grads

     
    Registered
    Aug 2006

Any Opportunities for Accounting Grads

I'm halfway along the journey to snag my Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from King's College here in Wilkes-Barre, PA, and I'm just wondering if there are many career opportunities out there in the realm of community/urban planning and/or economic development for those with business-related degrees? If not, then would going back to school upon graduation for my Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning be advisable? I say this because I'm currently torn; I chose the Accounting career path because Accounting opportunities within an hour of Scranton are plentiful, whereas urban planning-related opportunities are meager. However, I have MUCH more of a passion for urban redevelopment than I do for crunching numbers all day, so I'm now at a fork in the road. I'm only 19, so I know I have plenty of time to figure things out in life, but I was just wondering if you truly are recommended to have a background in urban planning to work for a local economic development agency, or if business-related degree holders would likewise be considered for opportunities? Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Grants administration in community development. I was floundering in one position getting grants funds obligated and spent in a "timely manner" until I hired someone with a financial background as administrator. I recently saw another community in the same difficulty, and advised them to find a finance person...and it worked again.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View post
    I'm halfway along the journey to snag my Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from King's College here in Wilkes-Barre, PA, and I'm just wondering if there are many career opportunities out there in the realm of community/urban planning and/or economic development for those with business-related degrees? If not, then would going back to school upon graduation for my Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning be advisable? I say this because I'm currently torn; I chose the Accounting career path because Accounting opportunities within an hour of Scranton are plentiful, whereas urban planning-related opportunities are meager. However, I have MUCH more of a passion for urban redevelopment than I do for crunching numbers all day, so I'm now at a fork in the road. I'm only 19, so I know I have plenty of time to figure things out in life, but I was just wondering if you truly are recommended to have a background in urban planning to work for a local economic development agency, or if business-related degree holders would likewise be considered for opportunities? Thanks!
    Some accountants I've known are working for developers. They are part of the financial solutions, helping-out on Investment Returns studies & analysis. Cash flows are critical in the development process, so accountants are tasked to do this. Some pursue by taking MBA or business-related degree. They share their knowledge in product development, cost-benefit analysis and other areas related to financing. Since you have the passion for urban development, taking MURP is recommended.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. No accounting for taste
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 May 2006, 4:05 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Mar 2005, 8:02 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jun 2004, 11:18 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Aug 2001, 8:09 PM