Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Office Politics and job loss (rant)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one

Office Politics and job loss (rant)

Looks like Iím going to be unemployed soon. Itís funny as to why too. Apparently I pissed a few too many people off trying to enforce and amend regulations in a county of previous lawlessness. I removed the policy of looking the other way for friends, and made it a policy of 1 set of regs for everyone. Not to mention correcting a damaged permitting system that allowed everyone to slip through. This has left me in a battle with the elected officials over the past year and a few months. I do feel a little disappointed in the system. Overall, I may have made a few mistakes, but I did the right thing at my job.

I will be looking for a new place of employment after I drink away my weekend. Anyone with some good information drop me a PM.

I do have to ask thought, should I resign and walk away, or should I force them to fire me by a 3-2 vote? Iím personally thinking fire because I qualify for unemployment if I canít find a job quickly, and gov. jobs do take a while, plus Iíd like to take the time to consider my option of releasing facts about a certain elected official that wants his buddies to get by without due process
    ďAhh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Ouch. I'm not sure what I would do...if they fire you, would you have grounds for wrongful dismissal?

I think I would rather jump than be pushed...do you think they would be open to negotiating an exit package? Talk to Donk, he's been done that road

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dragon View post
    I will be looking for a new place of employment after I drink away my weekend. Anyone with some good information drop me a PM.

I do have to ask thought, should I resign and walk away, or should I force them to fire me by a 3-2 vote? I’m personally thinking fire because I qualify for unemployment if I can’t find a job quickly, and gov. jobs do take a while, plus I’d like to take the time to consider my option of releasing facts about a certain elected official that wants his buddies to get by without due process
    Do you have a severence package since it sounds like you were a contractural hire (city council direct oversight)? What does it say about severence resulting from resignation and involuntary termination (with/without cause)?

I would be VERY careful about releasing information like that. It needs to be verifiable or else you're asking for trouble. You would likely be protected by a whistleblower ordinance somewhere, likely in your ethics ordinance or employment handbook. Again, that is only if you can provide concrete information. Don't burn bridges unless you are supremely confident you won't need to cross it again and are sure the bridge owner won't set out to burn one you still need down the road.

I'd rather jump than be pushed, but I guess it depends on the reasons they are trying to push.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    ....plus Iíd like to take the time to consider my option of releasing facts about a certain elected official that wants his buddies to get by without due process
    I'd like to do the same here too. . Once I leave of course

Good luck Dragon (and enjoy the bender )
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd try to negotiate a package. I was in a similar situation not long ago, where I was butting heads with other department heads and being used to take the heat off of the city manager and council. They eventually decided it would be better to have me leave quietly rather than talk with the news about some of their actions. I exited with three month's salary and six months of health insurance.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    First for drinking away the weekend, get a botle of glen rothe 1973, it will numb all pains.

As for the exit strategy. Start with making sure they let you go in a manner that you are eligible for unemployment insurance. It is not much money (at least here), but it opens you up for access to other programs and services you may want to use.

On negotiating the package, depending on where you are in the food chain a good place to start is 3 months salary, plus benefits and payments to your pension fund. It also helps if you have friends in high places administratively that you can deal with.

The rule of thumb is 1 month per year after 5 years of service, depending on the food chain, the higher up the more you can expect. Under 5 years, look for 1-2weeks per year of service.

Also remember to let them know you know where bodies are buried, rule 1 for every job is to find the "back 40" and poke around there.

For me losing my job was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. It made me step up and take action.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    I'd like to do the same here too. . Once I leave of course

Good luck Dragon (and enjoy the bender )
    I don't remember much about the weekend....I guess i enjoyed it.

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I would be VERY careful about releasing information like that. It needs to be verifiable or else you're asking for trouble. You would likely be protected by a whistleblower ordinance somewhere, likely in your ethics ordinance or employment handbook. Again, that is only if you can provide concrete information. Don't burn bridges unless you are supremely confident you won't need to cross it again and are sure the bridge owner won't set out to burn one you still need down the road.
    I won't be looking for a public job around here anywhere, I'm not worried with burning bridges. Besides, the President of the Board of Supervisors would recommend me any day. We don't have any type of ethics ordinances, so I'm basically screwed there.

This all really stinks. I started back in Grad school at night and turned down the opportunity for an assistanceship to stick with this job, only to have this BS occur.

I have other questions, does it look bad if I chose to be fired versus resigning? Will a potential employer question me as to why I was fired, and when I state why, consider me a disgrunteled employee? They keep asking me to resign, they don't want to take this in front of the press, which is exactly what I want to force them to do.
    - Bender

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My boss in my last position was very overtly trying to set me up to be fired, so I started looking immediately for something new, and found my current job; same organization, different department. I would not have been able to get this job if I'd been fired.

I think that leaving before the fact was the less stressful way to go.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't remember much about the weekend....I guess i enjoyed it.

I won't be looking for a public job around here anywhere, I'm not worried with burning bridges. Besides, the President of the Board of Supervisors would recommend me any day. We don't have any type of ethics ordinances, so I'm basically screwed there.

This all really stinks. I started back in Grad school at night and turned down the opportunity for an assistanceship to stick with this job, only to have this BS occur.

I have other questions, does it look bad if I chose to be fired versus resigning? Will a potential employer question me as to why I was fired, and when I state why, consider me a disgrunteled employee? They keep asking me to resign, they don't want to take this in front of the press, which is exactly what I want to force them to do.
    It all depends on your timeline. If you find another job before the axe falls, then I'd resign and save everyone some brain damage. Otherwise, it might be prudent to stay and collect a paycheck as long as necessary and take them through the meat grinder of public relations. Besides, my feel is that a 3-2 vote to terminate says exactly what happened and that in all likelihood you are not disgruntled.

A little solid dirt, a good understanding of your state open records law, and a friendly relationship with a reporter can do wonders. One well-placed phone call to tell a reporter what to write on their open records request can cause quite a stir.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    It all depends on your timeline. If you find another job before the axe falls, then I'd resign and save everyone some brain damage. Otherwise, it might be prudent to stay and collect a paycheck as long as necessary and take them through the meat grinder of public relations. Besides, my feel is that a 3-2 vote to terminate says exactly what happened and that in all likelihood you are not disgruntled.

A little solid dirt, a good understanding of your state open records law, and a friendly relationship with a reporter can do wonders. One well-placed phone call to tell a reporter what to write on their open records request can cause quite a stir.
    I like the way you think you sicko

I've started looking for job opportunities, but I'm limited in this area. Time to relocate.
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I think that leaving before the fact was the less stressful way to go.
    You are right, but there is no where for me to go in this county. I'm hated by a elected official that holds a grudge and would make anyone else suffer that had interest in me, including private organizations.
    - Bender

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I'm hated by a elected official that holds a grudge and would make anyone else suffer that had interest in me, including private organizations.
    if that is true, how sure can you be sure that

Besides, the President of the Board of Supervisors would recommend me any day.
    Personally, I'd suck up my pride and leave peacefully. Explaining a peaceful and voluntary exit will lessen the potential that your future employer will be worried that you might be a trouble maker. They will not understand all the politics and unless they have a lot of time on their hands or really really like you over the other candidates, they probably won't investigate the details. It may be a lot easier for them to just move on to the next candidate. Just my two cents....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Don't simply leave. You have to live on something while you look for a job. If they want you to leave quietly, make them pay for it. If they are not willing, make them face the public. You may find that you have some supporters in the community.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Don't Go!

During the last administration here, I was being squeezed HARD by the Mayor (a real estate agent), since I would'nt look the other way for her developer friends, one of whom was a Council Member (!!). I was considering resigning and I made the comment to a friend that "well, the worst possible thing is if they fire me, and I can survive that." But she replied "no, the worst possible thing is if they can get you to quit." I stayed, a good friend was elected mayor in 2004, and the crazy crooked ex-mayor is now unemployed. HANG IN THERE.
    Last edited by Crazy in Alabama; 11 Oct 2006 at 5:09 PM. Reason: clarification

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Don't simply leave. You have to live on something while you look for a job. If they want you to leave quietly, make them pay for it. If they are not willing, make them face the public. You may find that you have some supporters in the community.
    You are right.

I stood my ground, and they fired me, last Thursday. You didn't hear from me all weekend because I was contemplating my future. I have a grievance hearing scheduled for Thursday, and I would only reaccept my job to resign immediately if it were to change anything. Iíve made plans and Iím moving to Yankee land , Massachusetts more specifically. There are quite a few job opportunities available, and in the worst case, Iíll be no worse off then I am here.
    - Bender

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You are right.

I stood my ground, and they fired me, last Thursday. You didn't hear from me all weekend because I was contemplating my future. I have a grievance hearing scheduled for Thursday, and I would only reaccept my job to resign immediately if it were to change anything. Iíve made plans and Iím moving to Yankee land , Massachusetts more specifically. There are quite a few job opportunities available, and in the worst case, Iíll be no worse off then I am here.
    Whatever you do don't resign, unless the package is right. While being fired has a stigma associated with it, it also has some benefits in terms of programs and actions available to you.

As fopr moving to NE, I tried and tried and interviewed with many places, and got nowhere. Good luck.

maybe seabishop can help you out.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Iíve made plans and Iím moving to Yankee land , Massachusetts more specifically. There are quite a few job opportunities available, and in the worst case, Iíll be no worse off then I am here.
    Wow sounds like it's been pretty stressful for you recently! Good luck with the move (and the grievance hearing..)!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll keep my eyes open for stuff up here. I assume you've gotten over the sticker shock of housing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Loss of manufacturing jobs, what next?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 10 Apr 2006, 1:55 PM
  2. A Loss
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Nov 2004, 9:59 AM
  3. Another Musical Loss
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Oct 2003, 7:25 PM
  4. Office politics-