Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Industrialized housing as redevelopment

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Industrialized housing as redevelopment

I am working with a HOME Investment Partnership Grant through HUD involving reconstruction of owner-occupied, substandard, housing for families making less than 30% AMI and disabled. We are just finishing this round of building new houses, but are looking into ways to spread our money more effectively while also improving construction quality.

We are now looking into industrialized housing as an alternative to conventional stick-built on site. It has appeal to us for several reasons:
    • reduces length of time dealing with displacement
    • most designs have a traditional appearance that blends with older neighborhoods
    • large portion of construction takes place in a controlled environment
    • houses are Energy Star certified, which is a major performance criteria for HUD-assisted rehab
    • more economical: this could allow us to build a few more houses during the next round

Does anyone have experience working with this type of housing, particularly when involving public funds?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    ummmm, what do you mean by "industrialized" housing?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by bluehour View post
    ummmm, what do you mean by "industrialized" housing?
    I believe he refers to modular house construction in which parts of whole houses are constructed in a factory and shipped to the house site.

SR, sorry, I don't have experience with this type of construction method.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I believe he refers to modular house construction in which parts of whole houses are constructed in a factory and shipped to the house site.

SR, sorry, I don't have experience with this type of construction method.
    Bingo. Sorry... I should have clarified more--that's what I get for using our development code jargon.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2006

A Community Guide to Factory Built Housing

HUD has a publication called "A Community Guide to Factory Built Housing" which is availble at huduser.org - Publications - PDF - factbuilt.pdf. Replace the dashes with slashes to get the publication (as I'm not allowed to post links). It has a good description of the issues and some existing affordable projects with contact information.

Registered
    Jul 2007

Industrialized Housing

At Phoenix Building Solutions, located in Brookville, Ohio, we work with for profit developers and CDCs to deliver customized housing for your budget. There are other companies similar to ours but many only offer their own product line which may not fit your needs.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There are a few of these developments in town for infill. I was shocked when I saw the cost: $150-$170k! With older (1930's/1940's) all brick colonials or tudors in the same neighborhood with more square footage going for less.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2007

Brush Park in Detroit

Phoenix Building Solutions just delivered three Carriage House to the Brush Park section of Detroit for Moorie Estates project by Platinum Building. From what I understand buyers get more home with these than with the renovated homes.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Occassionally we see older homes going for less. In one neighborhood, the older homes were significantly less. We asked around and found a realtor who new the neighborhood. She told us the older homes were going for less primarily because they cost so much more to heat and cool - up to $250 per month more than our homes of equal size. That's $250 more in after tax dollars that could be use to pay a mortgage. This may not be the case in your neighborhood but it is a good way of saying to compare apples to apples and there is no free lunch.

All the best.

Buyer beware. There is a big difference between manufactured housing (HUD homes) and "Industrialized Units" (built to state building code).
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 13 Mar 2008 at 7:46 PM. Reason: double reply

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 May 2012, 3:55 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Sep 2010, 8:01 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Apr 2003, 8:41 AM
  4. Redevelopment
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6