Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hitch Hike to all 50 state capitals in 50 days?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Hitch Hike to all 50 state capitals in 50 days?

Do you think that you could see all 50 capitals in fifty days without your car? These guys think that they can do it by hitch hiking from place to place... Even Alaska and Hawaii!

http://www.hitch50.com/

As dangerous as hitchhiking can be, is this the best message to send to the youth of America? Yea, see the world, just stick out your thumb.

I think that it will be interesting to see if they can do it.

What do you think? Will they make it?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 09 Oct 2006 at 4:38 PM.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    How do they plan on getting to Honolulu?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No, AK and HI will be the outliers that could kill this, Maine and Michigan are also problematic in that they are remote. Thank goodness Tallahasee is in the Panhandle or that would be a bear too.

Even a places like Dover, DE or Bismark, ND could be difficult, what kind of traffic goes to these cities? (at least Bismark is on I-94; but I've been on the part of I-94 and there is not much traffic)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Looks interesting, but what the heck do these guys do that allows them the time to try this, and the funds to award free airfare to a randomly selected ride-giver. I think they'll be able to do it, only because they are solicitating the rides on the internet. But if they were going it alone, and nobody knew who they were, I'd say their chance would be slim to none.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The thing that will save them is the North East. You can hit most of those in just a few days. (Unless you’re in traffic).

Nice part is they can sleep while on the road, take a pic once they get to there destination, and it’s off to the next star on the map. Alaska will have to be an air plane (if they want to get there on time) I think that some airline will research these guys and if they get close to their goal, that airline will front them a ticket knowing that it will get posted all over the place, make the news, and be on a billion bogs. (Almost Free Advertising Baby!)

I am fascinated with the Tech aspect of it. They are going to use a nextel phone’s GPS sender to java into Google maps. That part alone will be cool. (and would provide for quite a bit of safety)
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    May 2005
    I seriously doubt they will make it in 50 days - but it sure sounds fun anyway!

I have long been fascinated with trying to get someone to pay me to travel the country. There are projects that have managed to do this: from the traveling gallery that came to our space a few months back (a tricked out airstream trailer converted to a beautiful mobile gallery) to a traveling American Stories oral history initiative. Some day...

When I lived in Uganda there was a bicycling group of American Doctors doing a project where they rode from Tunis to Cape Town in 3 months, raising cultural awareness and investigating health issues along the way. They would pick up local African riders for certain stretches and a friend of mine joined them in Uganda until Tanzania. A cool project that tied in with school curricula and the like - participating schools had a map and every day they would record an audio log accessible by phone or online. They had also biked across Russia and Canada in recent years.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I think it's an interesting take on an old thing. Obviously if they were going it alone sans publicity, website, gps, etc they would have a snowball's chance in hell. Somehow I think they have some sort of financial backing and they aren't ruling out any mode of transportation so I think they may have a reasonable chance of reaching their goals. The pisser in my opinion is going to be Hawaii, unless an airline or air freight agrees to carry them or someone gives them free miles or something.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think they'll do it. This is not just two guys hitchhiking, but it is two guys hitchhiking with incentives. The first being the website and the second is their golden ticket... where anyone who helps them will get a chance at free air fare to where every the last capital is?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    I think they'll do it. This is not just two guys hitchhiking, but it is two guys hitchhiking with incentives. The first being the website and the second is their golden ticket... where anyone who helps them will get a chance at free air fare to where every the last capital is?
    In that case the last capital should be in Hawaii!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    In that case the last capital should be in Hawaii!
    Hope so... because a paid trip to Lincoln Nebraska would suck.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

@ 300/day?

Before 911, I was averaging 300 miles a day; but, two or three years ago when it was less than 200 miles per day I quit that rather arduous but more interesting method of travel and started riding the bus. In 50 days one could go 15000 miles at that rate, couldn’t one? I only travel three times a year now - for 1000 miles each way, so I am out of practice. I traveled the contiguous 48 States and parts of Canada and Mexico in the early 80's.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    These two need to seek employment as a planner or something.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahh.....

Quote Originally posted by jringel View post
    These two need to seek employment as a planner or something.
    I was thinking over the road drivers or professional students might be better for them.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I was thinking over the road drivers or professional students might be better for them.....
    I guess I would have to agree. I'll start mailing some resumes their way.

State capitals are often pretty boring little cities in culturally isolated but geographically central locations. I'd definitely opt for the "biggest city in each state" hitchhike before I'd do state capitals. Although there are some nice ones...

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Hope so... because a paid trip to Lincoln Nebraska would suck.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!!

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    No, AK and HI will be the outliers that could kill this, Maine and Michigan are also problematic in that they are remote. Thank goodness Tallahasee is in the Panhandle or that would be a bear too.

Even a places like Dover, DE or Bismark, ND could be difficult, what kind of traffic goes to these cities? (at least Bismark is on I-94; but I've been on the part of I-94 and there is not much traffic)
    Dover is within a couple of hours from Annapolis, MD via US 301 and US 13. Depending on time of day, they could do Richmond, Annapolis, Dover, Trenton and Albany in one day.
    Last edited by Maister; 28 Nov 2006 at 5:14 PM. Reason: double post

Registered
    Apr 2003
    So far, they have done 38 states (Including Alaska) in 35 days. With WI down, they still have to hit up MI, IL, and IN… If they are good, all three of these can be done in a day.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    They passed through Helena the other day and got their story and faces on today's Independent Record edition. They spent four hours trying to catch a ride with no success, got cold but luckily the Walmart was nearby, where they bought long underwear (you would think Canadians would have long johns). After a night in a cheap motel they headed out.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003

Looks like they are going to make it!

They have until midnight tonight to get from LA to Honolulu. From the looks of the GPS, they shut their phone off, in a place where an airplane should be!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well, we can conclude that it IS possible to hitchhike to all 50 state capitals in 50 days. I hope that these guys write a book about their adventures. I am sure that they heard a lot of stories over the past two months.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Well it's sort of conceivable... they took many rides and offers for assistance online through their website. I don't think it should officially count as hitchhiking, depending on how you define it. The real test is can you do 48 in 48 withouth the use of a computer or pre arranged trips.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    They have until midnight tonight to get from LA to Honolulu. From the looks of the GPS, they shut their phone off, in a place where an airplane should be!
    How is riding an airplane hitchhiking? I mean come on, were they walking down a street or a runway with their thumbs up when all of a sudden an airplane going to Honolulu pulled over and offered them a ride?

I'm with Tide on this one, they weren't really hitchhiking.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    How is riding an airplane hitchhiking? I mean come on, were they walking down a street or a runway with their thumbs up when all of a sudden an airplane going to Honolulu pulled over and offered them a ride?

I'm with Tide on this one, they weren't really hitchhiking.
    OK I will adjust my statement... It is possible to travel to all 50 states without taking your own vehicle or paying for any type of transportation with your own money, in 50 days.

I think that it would be a very fun trip. Do you think that you would be able to do what they did?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School Days, Golden Rule Days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 11:42 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 May 2009, 7:38 AM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last post: 14 Nov 2006, 6:08 PM
  4. Hitch Hiking at 30 Below
    Perry's Cantina (archive)