Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why Alaska is NOT going to hell!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Why Alaska is NOT going to hell!

Quote Originally posted by CNN
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- In Alaska's native villages, the punishing winter cold is already penetrating the walls of the lightly insulated plywood homes, many of the villagers are desperately poor, and heating-oil prices are among the highest in the nation.
    And yet a few of the small communities want to refuse free heating oil from Venezuela, on the patriotic principle that no foreigner has the right to call their president "the devil."
    CNN
    Happy to see that a state that far is still that patriotic! I wonder if this will spark more states to follow the cold state's lead?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    The question raised should not center around these people patriotism but rather why a poor South American country is helping Americans with the cost of energy and yet our country sits by and lets these people freeze?
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    The question raised should not center around these people patriotism but rather why a poor South American country is helping Americans with the cost of energy and yet our country sits by and lets these people freeze?
    Indeed. Yes, that is a very good point.

Having the benefit of a South American viewpoint in my house, I add that in at least some countries on the southern continent, Hugo Chavez is better liked and considered a better world leader than Dubya
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Hello... thanks for making clear what was making me queasy about this thread...
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    CNN
    Happy to see that a state that far is still that patriotic! I wonder if this will spark more states to follow the cold state's lead?
    But we seem to have the right to call whole countries "the axis of evil" I think it is terrible that people in Alaska have an oil shortage.

I don't know the difference between the type of oil that is pulled from the ground in Alaska and oil used for heating, maybe heating oil is less pure and can't be used for anything else?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    About 150 native villages in Alaska have accepted money for heating oil from Citgo. The oil company does not operate in Alaska, so instead of sending oil, it is donating about $5.3 million to native nonprofit organizations to buy 100 gallons this winter for each of more than 12,000 households.

"When you have a dire need and it is a matter of survival for your people, it doesn't matter where, what country, the gift or donation comes from," said Virginia Commack, an elder in the arctic village of Ambler, an impoverished Eskimo community of 280 where residents are paying $7.25 a gallon for fuel.
    So a few villages declined Chavez's offer, yet about 150 villages said hell yeah? I think your hell is about to freeze over.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    7.25 a gallon - none of us could pay that - wouldn't these people get it cheaper?...sorta like gas is cheaper in New Jersey because that's where all the tanks are and you are not payig distribution costs?

I think the point here, Michael, is that it's not as simple as they are doing the right thing or the wrong thing, nothing ever is that simple - it doesn't work that way

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    is that it's not as simple as they are doing the right thing or the wrong thing, nothing ever is that simple - it doesn't work that way
    In GOP World, this is not a true statement. "You re with me, or against me." "My country, right or wrong." "I listened to a higher authority than my father. God told me to invade Iraq." "Liberals are traitors who should be killed."

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    7.25 a gallon - none of us could pay that - wouldn't these people get it cheaper?...sorta like gas is cheaper in New Jersey because that's where all the tanks are and you are not payig distribution costs?
    But they don't do the refining in Alaska, so its got to get shipped to the Gulf or New Jersey, or wherever, and then shipped back. In the end, its the transportation costs that kill you up there. Some of the these villages are so remote that materials can only be flown in. During the winter, getting goods to them is even more challenging.

I remember being on a 19 day canoe trip in Ontario and we arrived at an Indian Reserve that had a Bay Company store (the modern incarnation of the hudson Bay Trading company). All the stuff was flown in on float planes and was outrageously expensive!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    But they don't do the refining in Alaska, so its got to get shipped to the Gulf or New Jersey, or wherever, and then shipped back. In the end, its the transportation costs that kill you up there. Some of the these villages are so remote that materials can only be flown in. During the winter, getting goods to them is even more challenging.

I remember being on a 19 day canoe trip in Ontario and we arrived at an Indian Reserve that had a Bay Company store (the modern incarnation of the hudson Bay Trading company). All the stuff was flown in on float planes and was outrageously expensive!
    got it - makes sense - we have what is known as "the island contingency" up here due to distribution costs which makes everything about 15-30% more expensive than off island!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    So a few villages declined Chavez's offer, yet about 150 villages said hell yeah?
    Not to mention the whole state of Massachusetts:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4461946.stm

Why is heating oil so expensive in Alaska, which I believe is our nation's largest oil source? Lack of refining capacity? That sounds like something the state or federal government should deal with immediately.

Just to set the record straight! The people of Venezuela are wonderful! They are warm and the vast majority are pro american... as they have been for the last several decades. The current president is a wacko for sure. His top military leaders are Cuban as are his top Doctors. He does not trust his own people. Venezuela is a great country and the people are great!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planificador Urbano View post
    Just to set the record straight! The people of Venezuela are wonderful!
    Ideed, es verdad! My father lived in Venezuela until he was 12. He has never been back and I have never been either, but he has very fond memories of growing up there and of all the warm, wonderful, friendly folks that made it such a wonderful experience.

And isn't this the case most everywhere? - that people on the street are more interested in being gracious than upholding their leaders' grudges?

It reminds me of a Swahili proverb - When elephants fight, its the grass that suffers.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I would point out that Chavez has been elected twice-by larger majorities than our own Maximum Leader and his clique.

Not that I am interested in the Great Leader model, but when the alternative always seems to be The Great Plundering Corrupt Landlord Class, can you blame them for their vote?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well this just equates to Greenpeace brainwashed african governments rejecting GM food to help aid their starving population....

Unless the US government gives them a solution for their heating costs... only idiots would refuse help when you need it. Better for the rest of the world... maybe these idiots will freeze to death.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We had a tornado hit a nearby community Saturday. A family was paying $650 a month for a small house with no drywall, no a/c or heat, no electricity, and their home was smacked by a tree and destroyed. It's everywhere.

The ongoing problem is why are Americans living like this in the first place, and then why would they need foreign help for basic needs in this country?

It's not like the Alaskan thing is a natural disaster that would bring foreign aid.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Russia wants tunnel to Alaska
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 19 Jul 2007, 11:39 AM
  2. Hi from Alaska
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 26 Nov 2006, 4:23 PM
  3. First road to the Arctic in Alaska
    Transportation Planning