Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PDR criteria

Registered
    Mar 2006

PDR criteria

Here in Wisconsin the state is toying with changing some things about the Farmland Preservation Program to incorporate PDRs (purchase of development rights, if anyone doesn't know). The state would actually be purchasing the PDRs, while leveraging federal funds. The idea is that hopefully retiring farmers could make just as much money selling development rights as they would selling to a developer. Of course, the funds would never be available to purchace every PDR offered up, so a set of criteria and/or a point system would need to be used. Who knows if this would actually fly with the legislature, since it would cost a lot.

Even if it doesn't fly at the state level, we are thinking about using it at the county level. There would need to be a tax referendum to fund it, but we think it is worth looking in to. Everything is in very preliminary talks now, but I've been researching some criteria other jurisdictions use to score PDR applicants, and I'm wondering if any of you are doing something similar, and what kinds of criteria you've seen used.

Here are some examples I've come across:
    # of generations who have owned the property?
    Amount of public road frontage?
    Amount of scenic views from the property?
    Willingness to sell below market value?
    Adjacent (or proximity to) ag zoning?
    Soil potential for onsite sewer systems?

I'd like to hear what your thoughts are, maybe come up with some really innovative ideas.

Have you checked out Maryland's program? It's about 25 years old and a couple of years ago the General Assembly passed legislation that required the Dept. of Planning and the Dept. of Ag to establish ranking guidelines that the County's then had to adopt in their Easement Prioritization Formulas. Prior to this, there were minimum criteria to participate in the program but counties set their own easement prioritization formulas.

The county I work for also participates in the state's Rural Legacy Program and we developed a priorization formula to rank properties for consideration.

Both of the formulas put a lot of emphasis on soil quality and tillable acreage, but also include proximity to other protected lands, natural resource features, location on scenic byways, historic resources, etc.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bring in Wisconsin for the last 15 years of my career, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of this.

Have any links?

Who in the state is toying with this?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Chet:

Wisconsin Working Lands Initiative Steering Committee Report

This report is about how they are proposing to change things with the farmland preservation program. I went to one of their listening sessions, and they spent quite a bit of time discussing their PDR ideas.

Thanks for the info ctownpg.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. chain location criteria
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 3:28 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Dec 2010, 6:11 PM
  3. Skatepark citing criteria
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5