Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why the Gentle People Are Going to Hell

Registered
    Oct 2001

Why the Gentle People Are Going to Hell

This is an awful, awful story about what happens when young girls face rampant sexual abuse in the Amish community. http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/J...i_janfeb05.msp

The worst part for this dentalphobe has to be:

When Fannie found out about the CYS visit, she and Anna went with 13 other kids to the home of John Yoder, an Amish dentist who lived an hour and a half away in the town of Punxsutawney. Yoder's living room had a recliner with a tin pan and some needles next to it. Anna watched as the other kids each had one or two bad teeth pulled. When it was her turn, Yoder shot some novocaine into her upper gum. She shook her head and told him that two of her lower teeth had cavities. He shot the lower gum, and asked Fannie which teeth should go. Anna's mother answered, "Take them all," and Yoder pulled—along the upper gum, along the lower gum, until every tooth was gone. "After he had pulled the last tooth," Anna remembered, "my mom looked at me and said, 'I guess you won't be talking anymore.' "
    But hey, the "community" demands this, so who am I to say?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Yes...modern medical technology and practice is the...Devil

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm not defending this story, just trying to make a distinction that 'amish' is a broad word. There are many types of amish that practice subtle, yet different beliefs.

Not that I'm an amish expert, but I would have a hard time believing this was commonplace.

Edit: I was referring to the dental stuff, I didn't check the link before i posted.
    Last edited by iamme; 10 Oct 2006 at 1:33 PM. Reason: ...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by iamme View post
    I'm not defending this story, just trying to make a distinction that 'amish' is a broad word. There are many types of amish that practice subtle, yet different beliefs.

Not that I'm an amish expert, but I would have a hard time believing this was commonplace.

Edit: I was referring to the dental stuff, I didn't check the link before i posted.
    The full article distinguishes between some of the practices.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Hang on...you guys telling me that Amish women ahve all their teeth pulled out as a amtter of practice???
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    Hang on...you guys telling me that Amish women ahve all their teeth pulled out as a amtter of practice???
    No in the article it was done as a form of punishment for the girl speaking out about her father/brothers molesting her. She went to the dentist to have a lower tooth pulled and the dentist went for the upper teeth and she said no and pointed to her lower teeth. Her mother then told the dentist to pull them all so she would stop talking.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 48
    Last post: 02 Jun 2013, 2:43 PM
  2. hello you people,
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Sep 2012, 2:08 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last post: 18 Sep 2005, 1:07 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 13 Sep 2004, 2:58 PM