Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Product differences between Wal-Mart and Best Buy

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Product differences between Wal-Mart and Best Buy

Wal-Mart has a product for 39.99 and Best Buy has what appears to be the exact same product for 59.99. Do you think that there is a difference in the quality of the products? Everything appears to be the exact same; however I am looking for a deal!

In the past there had been some discussions that to accommodate the price at Wal-Mart, the quality may be less.

What do you think?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

They are the same product, but one may be of a less quality. That is, the product purchased by Wally World might not have passed QC to the same level as the Best Buy product and as such was sold at a discount (Factory seconds).

It is far more likely that they are the exact same product and the owners of Best Buy simply need a new 200' Yacht or trip around the world for a family of 75.....

Skilled Adoxographer

Some Advice

I refuse to shop at Best Buy, I've found that they have the worst customer service system in existance. I had a problem with a TV I bought from them and had terrible time getting it straightened out. At one point the store manage told me "He is the Store Manager and makes all the decisions", I wanted to tell him to go Fu#k himself. I managed to swallow my pride and not punch the ass#ole in the mouth. I ended up having to call the Best Buy customer service number and stay on the phone for over 1 hour to get a new remote control for my new TV. (the most important part of the TV next to the picture)

I would do business with Wal-Mart any day, although they buy most of their products from China, made by semi-slaves in China, paid $1.00 a day. That's what corporate America is all about, pay the man. But don't the man treat you too badly. I will never do business with Best Buy, if its the only store in town, I will to without......

Registered
    Jul 1998
    If the quality is less because of walmart it will still be the same for both products, I'm sure there isn't a sorter picking which widgets go to walmart and which to best buy.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I'm always finding toys for my daughter that are significantly cheaper at walmart than they are at Toys R Us or Target. I think Best Buy has more overhead costs, compared to how much they sell, so they have to jack the prices up some... and they want you to think that their stuff is better. Sometimes I stroll a Best Buy, but if I find something there that I want I always end up finding it somewhere else for cheaper, like at Circuit City or Walmart.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mike,

Just take your Walmart ad to ABC Warehouse and have them sell it to you for less!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Double check the exact product and model codes to compare. Also check the UL code.

Wal~mart is banking on you seeing it and jumpng to the conclusion that they are the exact same item. In many instances wal~mart has a product manufactured and labelled similarily to other name brand products, but does cheap out on things to keep the price down.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Mike,

Just take your Walmart ad to ABC Warehouse and have them sell it to you for less!
    What he said.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What he said.
    I will have to go to the GR one. I don't have the best relationship with the local store because of my job!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I will have to go to the GR one. I don't have the best relationship with the local store because of my job!
    You could always hide in the car and have the future Mrs. do the dirty work inside...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Off-topic:
    Stan, of course you should go to the local ABC Warehouse. In fact, you should pull up in a city car while 'in uniform' and ask to talk directly and immediately to the manager. Explain to him or her that you want the very best deal they can offer....excuse me is that fire lane partially blocked?....oh I'm sorry, I was just saying that ABC has a reputation for cutting deals and......hey, wait a minute did that accessory storage unit ever go through formal Site Plan review?......I apologize, I keep getting distracted the longer I stand here......I was just saying that the competitors are selling the same product for much less......now I KNOW I never issued any permit for that sign.....Oh, I can have the floor model for free you say? Gosh, thanks!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart does have some "seconds". Over the years, I've bought several inexpensive answering machines there and they were all crappy so I returned them. I get the same brand at Target or Circuit City and it works fine.

Several years ago I bought an HP 3-in -one printer and got it home and the ink cartridge bag was open and the cartridges missing. But the box had been sealed (apparently) identically with the other printer boxes, with what looked like the manufacturer's tape seals. I think when an item is defective and returned, or broken into, they just reseal it and put it back on the shelf.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    But the box had been sealed (apparently) identically with the other printer boxes, with what looked like the manufacturer's tape seals. I think when an item is defective and returned, or broken into, they just reseal it and put it back on the shelf.
    Guilty as charged.
    Thank God for compasses that allow you to affix an Exacto (sp?) blade! Many of those computer programs (that don't perform as you expected) you buy will have the circular pieces of tape to seal the box. Just measure the radius of the old piece, twirl your compass in a circle over the square piece of clear packaging tape and "Whaala!
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart does have some "seconds". Over the years, I've bought several inexpensive answering machines there and they were all crappy so I returned them. I get the same brand at Target or Circuit City and it works fine.

Several years ago I bought an HP 3-in -one printer and got it home and the ink cartridge bag was open and the cartridges missing. But the box had been sealed (apparently) identically with the other printer boxes, with what looked like the manufacturer's tape seals. I think when an item is defective and returned, or broken into, they just reseal it and put it back on the shelf.

The same thing just happened to me. I bought a radio adapter for my iPod that was on clearance for almost 75% off the original price (or at leas the price I've seen at other stores for the same product). There were tons of them available. I picked through them and chose one that appeared to be factory sealed. That sucker does not work at all! Either I chose the wrong one or the whole bunch is worthless.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    <-- Wonders if the people outside of Michigan are chucking as much about ABC talk as those within.

ABC is a local chain that is known where you can dicker and deal your price. Some people love the store. Others hate it. I've had great experiences at the one in Southgate, MI (I know the manager), but was screwed over big-time by the one in Bay City (thought I would get a deal on a cell phone that would work at the cabin). Was no deal, and the cell barely work either at the cabin or home.

ABC typically locates their stores in older strip malls (vacated gorcery stores), and does not run the slickest or most presentable looking operations. I could see why Mike would not want to go to the one in his juris! Is there another in K'zoo?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Product Recalls
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 11:57 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Dec 2007, 7:23 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 11:32 AM
  4. Differences b/n schools?
    Student Commons